“Safe Place with AC” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Guaras Hostal

You added The Guaras Hostal to your Saves list
The Guaras Hostal
2.5 of 5 Hostel   |   Residencial Andalucia esquina de la 13 calle & 13 Ave | Cortes, San Pedro Sula 504, Honduras   |
“Safe Place with AC”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is more of a guesthouse than a hostel, located in a gated community - which is nice in a not-so-safe city. Rocky picked us up and dropped us off at the bus station which made our trip very easy and safe. The only downside is that there is not much you can do within walking distance. We stayed 2 nights on different occasions when we were in-transit in Honduras. San Pedro Sula makes for a good place to catch buses to other places, but sadly, there really isn't much to do in the city. Guaras offers AC and internet that works, which was all that we needed. We didn't see much of anyone the second time that we were there.
The only cons are the two macaws that will wake you up early in the morning, and the lack of water pressure in the upstairs bathroom sink (which also leaks).

Room Tip: There are only 3 rooms in the guesthouse. Two of the rooms share a bathroom and the other has a priv...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Going to what other tourists told us was one of the most dangerous cities in the world was a bit frightening! But we felt as though we had arrived home when roque picked us up from the bus station in a large air conditioned car, took us for dinner where we wanted (McDonald's!), drove us to get bus tickets from the tica office before getting into the gated community hostel. We couldn't have felt safer or better looked after. We slept very well, comfortable beds and good aircon. Roque woke us up at 4 and took us back to the bus station. All included in the price of $30 (for 2 people). This was definitely worth while, especially when a group from a cheaper hostel told us there was a murder outside their hostel during the night. Thanks roque! A seriously good hostel with exceptional service!

• Stayed May 2013
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Guaras hostel is located in safe area, Rocky will come to pick you up on the airport or bus station, will drive you where you need. Rooms are great for the price, clean bathroom and hot water. They can make you breakfast or lunch and they even made a barbecue for dinner gratis for guests.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very safe and clean. They pick you up from the bus station. This hostel is actually a house ~ the upstairs rooms are for guests. There is internet, albeit somewhat slow, and warm water in the shower. Cofee in the morning and a few breakfast cookies are included in the price. For 5 dollars, they will take you to the bus station at the end of your stay and help you get a ticket to wherever you are off to next. Recommended.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Rocky and his family are so incredible warm and welcoming. By the end of my stay I didn't want to leave. Rocky and his family bend over backwards for you. Great family!
The rooms are clean and very comfortable. Rocky will come and get you from the bus terminal and drop you to the airport.
The best accommodation I had in Honduras. Thank you Rocky!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Really though, you wont find a more accommodating place to stay in San Pedro Sula. Rocky and Simir and their whole family are great. Very clean rooms. If you need to stay in this town this is the only place to be. They will even help you out if you need pick up or rides.

Thanks for everything Rocky, Simir and everyone at The Guaras Hostal!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There is a princess/tinkerbell room you can stay in upon request. My wife yuved it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
WelingtonNZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

This place is a good option if you want to pay similar to dormitory prices as the other hostels in SPS but have your own room. I choose this place for this reason as it was a loooong flight from NZ. I was impressed with the quick response email from Rocky when I booked via Hostel world. He offered a pick up for $10 from the airport which I agreed to as I was arriving at 9pm. On arrival there was no one to pick me up, thinking that he was running late I waited around a bit but when there was still no sign of him I thought I would try and call. This was difficult as there was nowhere open to buy a sim card for my phone & no sign of a public telephone. Some helpful airport staff lent me there mobile but noone was answering at the hostel. SPS airport does however have excellent free wifi and it was with this I managed to contact a friend who came & picked me up, as I was hesitant to get a taxi on my own only to find that the reason noone was there to pick me up was because the place had closed down & I would be stuck in a city I didnt know searching for an alternative. Anyway on top of this Las Guaras while located in a safe area appears to have no signage & is difficult to find. Thankfully on arrival there was a room for me, apparently he mixed the dates up & thought I was arriving two days later. Good points is that it is reasonably clean (bar the dripping toilet), has good aircon & the owner is nice & dropped me to the bus station two days later for no charge. Oh & the other bad point is the two bored & noisy scarlet macaws in a small cage who I felt sorry for despite the fact that they disturbed my sleep. Also the sheets seemed to small for the bed & I kept having to adjust. It is a wee way from town but still walkable.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo