“Wonderful way to learn bird species” 5 of 5 stars

The Lodge at Pico Bonito
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   AP 710, La Ceiba 31101, Honduras   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in La Ceiba
Friday Harbor
“Wonderful way to learn bird species”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

I had never thought of visiting Honduras but I am a beginning birder and I saw an ad for Pico Bonito Lodge in my Audubon Magazine. I logged on and found LuxuryLink.com, an auction site for high-end lodging. To my surprise, I won 5 nights for two plus other amenities at Pico Bonito Lodge.

After I looked up Honduras, to see where I was heading, I discovered that the lodge was perfectly located to explore the North Eastern area of Honduras. Mayan ruins, colonial towns and barrier reef islands were all within reach and transportation of every kind was available to get me around with Pico Bonito Lodge being the center location of all my travels.

Although I had won lodging for 2, I traveled solo and I had a once-in-a-life-time experience with Pico Bonito Lodge being at the top of it! I had been traveling for 5 days before I came to the lodge and I thought I had landed in nirvana. The eco-friendly lodge is on a very secluded and private track of land. The hotel entry was grand, with a large, wood-timbered lodge tastefully decked out for the holidays. Greeted with a drink, I had them add rum, and escorted to my spacious cabin, I was grinning from ear to ear as I cozied down into my very private space. The bed alone was bigger then the rooms at the 2 hotels I had previously stayed at and those, were very roomy!

Ezdras and Sandro, my guides, took me for a hike on the loop trail on my first day. Even though we got drenched (I was offered an umbrella) in the down pour, their upbeat attitude and love of birds was contagious. I was laughing when I returned to my cabin, wetter then I have ever been before (I live in the Pacific NW) and enjoying myself immensely!

Ezdras was also my birding guide on the second day and he proved to be an amazing young man and an excellent birder. We spent the morning, until we got rained out, identifying birds. Later that day we continued hiking on the bird trails and by the end of the afternoon we had identified over 35 species! I got photos of 12 of them and kept track of them in the birding guide that they offer at their gift shop.

I stayed in cabin 20 and loved it! It is far enough away from the main lodge to feel secluded yet close enough to find your way back after dark. Gravel paths keep your feet dry during the rain showers and the covered porches were great to sit out on rain or shine. Comfort, beauty, great food and a helpful staff are what one can expect at Pico Bonito Lodge, second only to the excellent birding that prevails at this special place.

If birding is not your thing, there is a lovely butterfly house and serpentarium!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Gabriel C, Gerente at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful comments. We appreciate the kind words and are delighted that we were able to make your experience memorable.

The Team at Pico Bonito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Exquisite attention to detail - pickup at the airport, welcome cocktail (with or without rum), personal service, lovely well-appointed cabins, indescribably gorgeous and thoughtful gardens. Gardens are cleverly designed to attract and hold the interest of birds. Which brings me to the guides: how unusual to have guides with great personal passion for birds, plants, their trails and their grounds. Genuine passion.

My (very game) eight year old daughter and I met two (grown up) friends for almost a week here. We tried to do everything that we could while here. Now the core goal of this joint is birding. And one of our two friends is a ridiculously successful wildlife photographer who loves this place. And even though my daughter and I aren't bird people, we were 100% engaged and enchanted by the hikes to Mermaid Falls, to Unbelievable Falls, The Loop Trail and the on-site butterfly house, oh and of course the pool! Do not miss the night hike.

One of our guides was a fairly new hire yet his knowledge, professionalism and engaging style were as high as any of the long-timers. He was brilliant with all the children as well as grown-ups.

The bar is well-stocked. Surprisingly decent and varied food. We all loved the seviche and the tortilla soup and the yogurt. The traditional baleadas and the bacon were terrific. The beds are nicely firm and the sheets are perfect and comfy. You would never know you were in a jungle as you won't catch the slightest scent of mildew.

The service was terrific and versatile. After a few days I wanted to do a hard hike and my daughter wanted to photograph agoutis and butterflies, so the front desk found a wonderful babysitter who kept my daughter happily busy for three hours, giving me a break on very short notice.

I had a massage that was uncommonly good, and in-room, and again they were flexible about letting my daughter stay w me while I got my massage.

Cannot say enough great things about this Lodge. A pure joy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

super friendly. beautiful. lots to do nearby. amazing. can't say enough good things about it. awesome hiking. be sure to hike to the waterfall nearby. and go snorkeling on the island that they can take you to via boat. great for a romantic couple. or for kids with lots of activities. and amazing for birding.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Thank you for the great review. We are delighted that you had a wonderful experience at the Lodge at Pico Bonito.

We hope to see you soon in our little piece of paradise.

Warm Regards,

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

What a great stay I had recently, on a girls trip with my friend. Our cabin was well appointed, with a deck looking out into the forest. We had a/c but never turned it on, it actually was quite cool for a few nights. Everyone who we encountered at the lodge was so warm and friendly - Elmer, Jose, Orlando, Dani, Howard Gregory, Joel, Esdras, and on and on. Really top-notch staff.

The two outings we did were well worth the time and cost. Rio Santiago is nearby, up a bumpy road, where there are countless hummingbirds and a nice trail. The Cuero y Salado boat trip was perfect, we lucked out with great weather and saw many birds, howler monkeys, mapaches, etc. I would cover up well w/bug spray, I got bit a few times. The little train you take out to the refuge is alone worth it. Great fun!

The food was outstanding. Meal after meal was delicious, can't think of anything I wouldn't order again. Coffee made with a french press is a nice touch. The trails here are easy to follow and there is many, many birds to keep you occupied. They also have a nice serpentarium and butterfly garden. The night walk is a thrill, do take it if you can.

We stayed here 6 nights and I could have easily stayed a couple more nights. I do intend on returning and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We were in room #22 and it seemed like we were one of the farthest away from the main lodge. I like...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, December 17, 2013

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

The Lodge at Pico Bonito did not disappoint during our 6 night stay. This hotel gets it right on several levels, starting with an airport pickup (SAP) featuring a comfortable van, pillows, cold water and sodas, snacks, fruit. What a great idea for a 3 hour drive!!

The entire staff is gracious, friendly, helpful, professional. Everyone we encountered went out of his or her way to make our stay complete, from the front desk to the outstanding restaurant and bar.

Set in the middle of a large cacoa forest, Pico Bonito is primarily a birding lodge, and we saw interesting (and rare) birds from the moment we arrived until we left. The hotel employs several guides, all top notch. The grounds are lovely and feature some nice viewing towers, easy and more difficult trails, river swimming, waterfalls, beautiful trees, plants, flowers.

Wildlife other than birds is abundant here with agoutis the most abundant of all! They were everywhere! We also saw boas, rabbits, owls, possums, raccoons. We especially enjoyed the night hike!

The food was nothing short of fabulous, so fabulous that we worked very hard in 6 days to try it all--no easy task. Never have I had such wonderful French Toast, Tuna Sashimi, Beef Carpaccio, Ceviche, Chicken Cordon Bleu, Scallops and Risotto, Beef Medallions, just to name a few favorites. And the desserts. . . . . . .oh!

The cabins are roomy and very comfortable. I was a bit disappointed in the shower as the water pressure was not up to par and the toilet had a slight leak. BUT, those things were minor and in no way interfered with my enjoyment of the property.

The serpentarium provided an interesting on site diversion as did the butterfly house.

Hopefully, there will be other opportunities to return to this fantastic lodge. It will be my pleasure!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Friends,
We appreciate your good comments. Our mission is to make your stay memorable by making the ordinary extraordinary. We are delighted to know that we have accomplished it.

We hope that you will make us a preferred destination in your travels, and return to our little piece of paradise.

Regards from the entire team at Pico Bonito.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

If you are looking for comfort and service in the midst of rain forest beauty, you won't go wrong with this luxury small hotel. The casitas are tastefully appointed, comfortable and relaxing. There are many optional activities available.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Quiet, breathtaking, and a ton of fun. Perfect for one night as you hop over to Roatan or Utila, but you could easily spend a week.

It's extremely quiet during rainy season. We were the only guests there on the massive grounds.

The service is awesome. I would definitely check out the hike in the back of the grounds. They were extremely accommodating in picking us up from the SPS bus station as we crossed the border from Guatemala.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Gabriel C, General Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Friends,
Regards from the entire team at Pico Bonito.

Gabriel Cambon

Been to The Lodge at Pico Bonito? Share your experiences!