I had never thought of visiting Honduras but I am a beginning birder and I saw an ad for Pico Bonito Lodge in my Audubon Magazine. I logged on and found LuxuryLink.com, an auction site for high-end lodging. To my surprise, I won 5 nights for two plus other amenities at Pico Bonito Lodge.
After I looked up Honduras, to see where I was heading, I discovered that the lodge was perfectly located to explore the North Eastern area of Honduras. Mayan ruins, colonial towns and barrier reef islands were all within reach and transportation of every kind was available to get me around with Pico Bonito Lodge being the center location of all my travels.
Although I had won lodging for 2, I traveled solo and I had a once-in-a-life-time experience with Pico Bonito Lodge being at the top of it! I had been traveling for 5 days before I came to the lodge and I thought I had landed in nirvana. The eco-friendly lodge is on a very secluded and private track of land. The hotel entry was grand, with a large, wood-timbered lodge tastefully decked out for the holidays. Greeted with a drink, I had them add rum, and escorted to my spacious cabin, I was grinning from ear to ear as I cozied down into my very private space. The bed alone was bigger then the rooms at the 2 hotels I had previously stayed at and those, were very roomy!
Ezdras and Sandro, my guides, took me for a hike on the loop trail on my first day. Even though we got drenched (I was offered an umbrella) in the down pour, their upbeat attitude and love of birds was contagious. I was laughing when I returned to my cabin, wetter then I have ever been before (I live in the Pacific NW) and enjoying myself immensely!
Ezdras was also my birding guide on the second day and he proved to be an amazing young man and an excellent birder. We spent the morning, until we got rained out, identifying birds. Later that day we continued hiking on the bird trails and by the end of the afternoon we had identified over 35 species! I got photos of 12 of them and kept track of them in the birding guide that they offer at their gift shop.
I stayed in cabin 20 and loved it! It is far enough away from the main lodge to feel secluded yet close enough to find your way back after dark. Gravel paths keep your feet dry during the rain showers and the covered porches were great to sit out on rain or shine. Comfort, beauty, great food and a helpful staff are what one can expect at Pico Bonito Lodge, second only to the excellent birding that prevails at this special place.
If birding is not your thing, there is a lovely butterfly house and serpentarium!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the foot of the Pico Bonito National Park, The Lodge at Pico Bonito seamlessly combines nature and luxurious comfort. The luxury eco-lodge located on the Caribbean coast of Honduras near La Ceiba is a member ofSmall Luxury Hotels of the World. The Lodge offers the adventure of the outdoors, the beauty of the rainforest, and the personal service and luxury of a boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Tablet Hotels, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Tingo, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Lodge at Pico Bonito reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Pico Bonito Hotel La Ceiba
- Hotel At Pico Bonito
- At Pico Bonito Hotel
- The Lodge At Pico Bonito Honduras/La Ceiba