We stayed at this lodge a few years ago, March 2009, and it was beautiful, good time of year. They have a private property bordering the national park. A unique place with pretty river hikes. Good birding but you had better be in great shape to see much beyond the lodge, all steep and slippery hiking, as expected on a mountain. Sometimes how much you like a place is subjective, and I really liked it here, relaxing and peaceful, hits the mark for an ecolodge. The cabins were clean and quiet, I would recommend the upgrade. Best sleep I've had in one of these type of lodges. We liked the food and drinks, friendly staff.
I've read some of the bad reviews of this place and they do have some truth. It is expensive but you are getting a very pristine setting close to an international airport, and you have to factor in this is a very poor country, the mainland is not set up for tourism. I have travelled extensively in Central America and didn't find Honduras to be particularily safe with everyone carrying guns. There was a reported shooting of a tourist in La Ceiba while we were there so I liked the isolation and strict door policy at the gate. A huge drawback was that tourists from other hotels can book the guides and crowd at the pool etc...I am a birder and was only able to book the birding guide on one morning of the whole trip which was disappointing because he was fabulous when we finally got him he found the hard to see lifers. Book ahead! The other guides are basic so unless you are a total novice you will be bored. If you are adventurous rent a car, we explored the coast in both directions but again safety is a concern here. There is a big resort east of La Ceiba where you can book the same excursions like snorkelling for much less, but its about an hour drive through town. Again this is Honduras, most of the trips were a disappointment, if not dangerous.
Bottom line: nice basic little lodge, a cool oasis on the mountain. Come here to relax, something a little different a short flight away. It is the nicest place to stay on the mainland by far. Not for the very adventurous, those with kids or who require luxury.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the foot of the Pico Bonito National Park, The Lodge at Pico Bonito seamlessly combines nature and luxurious comfort. The luxury eco-lodge located on the Caribbean coast of Honduras near La Ceiba is a member ofSmall Luxury Hotels of the World. The Lodge offers the adventure of the outdoors, the beauty of the rainforest, and the personal service and luxury of a boutique hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Lodge at Pico Bonito reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lodge At Pico Bonito Hotel La Ceiba
- Hotel At Pico Bonito
- At Pico Bonito Hotel
- The Lodge At Pico Bonito Honduras/La Ceiba