“great intro to tropical forests” 5 of 5 stars

The Lodge at Pico Bonito
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   AP 710, La Ceiba 31101, Honduras   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in La Ceiba
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“great intro to tropical forests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

The Lodge at Pico Bonito provides easy access and a great introduction to tropical forests. The cabins are well maintained and situated at the edge of Pico Bonito National Park. The flora and fauna of the grounds and adjacent forests are fantastic. The staff is friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Choose the cabins without air conditioning so one can hear the sounds of the night (such as owls...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
marcela8a, Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, January 11, 2012
Dear Stylurus: we are very happy to hear you had a great time during your trip to Honduras and your stay with us at the Lodge at Pico Bonito. I could not agree more with you, turning the AC off gives you the pleasure of listening the night sounds of species not to mention, our famous Owls that you could only see and hear at night.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Morgantown, wv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I highly recommend The Lodge at Pico Bonito. We spent four nights there and did their all-inclusive package. Everything was wonderful. We took several hikes, early morning bird watching, went horseback riding and went to Cuero & Salado. Every trip we were accompanied by an extremely knowledgeable bilingual guide with excellent English. These guides can spot toucans, monkeys, crocodiles, etc when I can hardly find it after being told where to look! They can name every tree, flower, butterfly, ect! The tropical rainforest preserve is amazingly beautiful. We saw an incredible number of birds: toucans, parrots, parakeets, hummingbirds. Many, many more. All the staff is very attentive to your every need. The food is very good but is mostly American fare. The pool is very nice, cabins are beautiful with comfy beds, hot showers, ceiling fans, I Home alarm clocks. Be sure to bring plenty of DEET insect repellant since you'll spend a lot of time in the woods and you won't want to feed too many of them! I can hardly wait to go again! It's paradise!

Room Tip: All the cabins are great. We requested adjoining rooms and they provided us with one. Two beds per...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Although my husband and I went in the low season for birding--late summer--we still saw parrots and even toucans, with the help of an excellent, enthusiastic, and friendly birding guide. (Even if you are not birders, it's worth it to get up at 5 some morning and take the 6am tour.) We were only there for 2 days--it was a splurge for us--but it was really something to experience. The lodge is situated in the lower rainforest area and beautifully landscaped. Gravel paths take you through the forest to your cabin, which blends in well with the landscape but also offers some great amenities including comfortable beds and a porch with chairs and hammock--wonderful for watching the rain, listening to birds, and watching for agouti.

The main buildings of the lodge include a dining area with a long outdoor deck where you can gaze at the mist surrounding the mountain peaks--one of the most beautiful sites I've experienced. I've been to Maui, Belize, Panama, Guatemala, Jamaica, and other tropical places, and the Pico Bonito forest really stands out. We hiked one day to the Las Sirenas waterfall...a more challenging hike than I anticipated, but definitely worth the effort. We had stunning waterfalls and a huge clear pool all to ourselves for the afternoon. Another benefit of the lodge is its intimacy--you will not constantly be running into other guests here; it's very private.

After the hike, we hung out at the pool for some time--also the only people there--and one of the staff (who are all extremely nice) brought us some Pico Bonito Specials, which taste and look like the quintessential tropical drink--pink, in a coconut-style container, rum-based, and very tasty. Later we sat on the lodge's deck and watched the rain.

The only caveat I might give is that if you are not birders or avid, very fit hikers, you may just want to stay a couple days. I think we stayed the perfect amount of time. We enjoyed the look-out towers and some of the less challenging trails, the pool, lovely outdoor deck, and a birding walk, and this was just right for us. The food is beautifully presented and some of the dishes are very creative, but not quite as good as I'd hoped. Still, we only had a few meals there. The breakfasts, however, were wonderful. Overall, somewhere you should go at least once if you have the resources to, and if you are birders and hikers, I think several days there would be heaven.

Also, bring bug spray, a good camera, and hiking shoes!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
marcela8a, Gerente at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear guests: thank you very much for your lovely comments, we appreciate very much you taking the time to write them.
We all agree with you, the location is a piece of heaven.
We sure hope to see you again.
Greetings from all of us at the Lodge
South & Central America
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed two nights and enjoyed the pool in the late afternoon more than anything else here. They are very "eco" conscious and the nature surrounding the lodge was beautiful. We did not have a good meal in the time we were there. Hiked up to a water fall (not for the out of shape). It was beautiful and serene but not really with the hike (muddy trails, precarious rock climbing once you arrived at the falls). I sensed management was in conversation with a hotel management group at the time and I hope they teamed up because they need more effective management in my humble opinion. I would go back with a group of birders, hoping the food has improved.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear friends; thank you very much for your feed back and indeed, the management of the Lodge at Pico Bonito has changed as of this past May and we would love the opportunity to offer you our new menus with local flavors and fine cuisine.
Again, thank yo very much and rest assured of our continue interest of being of service.
We all hope to host you again soon
Hamilton Ont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Okay, I stole that headline from a National Geographic Traveler list, LOL. But yes, I totally agree with NGT's assessment. I have stayed at the lodge twice, first on a press trip four years ago (I am a "sometime" travel writer), and then earlier this month on my own dime for a family voyage across Honduras.

All I can say about Pico Bonito is "go." It's not cheap--the five nights we spent there, two adults one child, with meals and activities, came to a staggering $2,000+USD. But, dare I say it was worth it (and no, we're not rich).

The lodge sits next to virgin rainforest, although they take a lot of effort to keep the property graciously well tended, yet slightly wild. (I call it "disheveled elegance"). Hikes into the rainforest are rewarded with glimpses of toucans and other photogenic birds (I'm not a birder, but I saw lots of beautiful birds, none of which I can name, aside from the two toucans!), and a dip in a crystal clear, rock bottom (not mud) river.

Walking the resort property, you can pluck oranges, mangoes and cacao fruit from the trees to enjoy. The kitchen staff hang bunches of bananas off the entrance to the dining room, and you can help yourself to those too--SUCH A SIMPLE BUT WONDERFUL TOUCH!

The restaurant meals are definitely of gourmet calibre--if you're a foodie, you won't be disappointed. Vegetarians are well accommodated too. I had some lovely veg meals here in addition to excellent steak and chicken. (I skipped their featured fish fish --which all week long was grouper-grouper-grouper--and their conch chowder, though I am sure both were delish. I know you can't really avoid either in Honduras, but I think an eco-lodge should make an attempt to source sustainable seafood choices, and neither grouper nor conch fall into that category. I would have loved to have tried a shrimp chowder, or different type of fish. Their shrimp was yummy though.)

The staff are gracious and accommodating, and the cabins are great. We stayed in a standard room, in July no less, (no A/C, but the dual fans and louvre windows kept everything breezy). Yes, big ants crawled across our ceiling, and yes, teensy-tiny ants were to be found on our sink vanity, but neither bothered us. A gecko lived on our ceiling. WE LOVED IT ALL! Our 9-year-old did too.

The guided hikes and excursions are nice. We took a hike to Incredible Falls ($30 PP) and a day trip to Cayos Cochinos (approx $150 PP I think). We saw sides of this region we would not have been able to, in the hands of a less "with-it" resort. The management and staff really know what they're doing and take pride in this lodge.

Oh, bonus: awesome wifi in the dining room and covered lounge area. A strong, strong signal, the likes of which i never found again, in Roatan or Utila, LOL.

If you're thinking, "should I go?," my answer is, "YES! Book it!" You won't regret it.

(The ideal stay would be 3 or 4 nights, I think. We were there for 5 nights and lovely though it was, I'm more of a coastal type, and missed the Caribbean by Day 5 and needed to head back to the Bay Islands, LOL. I think I had hit my limit of rainforest by then!).

Room Tip: Room 2 is a standard cabin that's convenient to the main dining room and lobby, yet b/c of the p...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
marcela8a, General Manager at The Lodge at Pico Bonito, responded to this review, August 25, 2011
We were glad to have you in our home, and we look forward to having you again!

You will be glad to know that we have currently made some variations in our menus, and we will take into consideration your comments regarding sustainable seafood.

Thank you so much for the review, and please do come back and visit us in the near future!!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

The lodge is located in the Nombre de Dios Mountains.The cabins are incredibly comfortable and offer a lot of privacy. The grounds re beautiful, well maintained with lots of flowers and plants on which birds land. the dining room has a very comfortable porch where one can rest, eat, have a drink, watch and photograph birds,or watch a late afternoon storm. The forest trails are good and well maintainted, without spoiling the effect of being in the forest. The staff is solicitous, kind and well trained, including drivers and guides. The food is " to die for", and many of the offerings on the menu include local ingredients and recipes. No detail has been spared at this lodge.I am an avid bird watcher and photographer,so I took two hikes in the forest with a guide, to look for birds, I went to the Lancetilla Botanical Gardens, took the old banana train to Cuero y Salado, a lagoon surrounded by mangroves, and lunched on a traditional 'Machuca" a fish stew with mashed plantains , at a Garifuna restaurant on the beach. i also spent a great deal of time on the grounds photographing birds. I am going to go back as soon as I have a chance, and definitely want to see more of the honduras whose people are lovely.

Room Tip: All the cabins seem comparable, very comfortable, great beds
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Santa Ana, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

This lodge is a fantasy location for me - it is a mixture of natural beauty, exotic fauna and flora, great guides, first-rate food, and lovely cabins nestled in the rain forest. And last but not least, a place for adventure, including a memorable night hike.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to The Lodge at Pico Bonito? Share your experiences!