“I'd never go back to this rafting company!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 10 Attractions in La Ceiba
More attraction details
Owner description: from our lodge, nestled between 2 national parks we start all our adventure tours from a half to 21 days. the most frequented tours are rafting, horseback riding, hiking, MTB, kayaking, nature exploring and meeting other cultures. - join us in nature! -
New York City, New York
“I'd never go back to this rafting company!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I would never go back to this company ever again. Our guide wasn't suitable and it was his first time on most of the rapids. I fell out of the raft several times and felt unsafe most of the time on the trip. IT seemed like the whole adventure was chaotic.

Several times I had fallen out of the raft in the rapids which I'm not use to. The guide we had lost control of the raft several times during this adventure. During one episode I fell out and smashed my knee on some rocks. When I complained about my injury nobody did anything! That really disappointed me since it turned out to be a bad knee injury. Then after this accident my friend and I were getting close to the hardest rapid on the river and we missed a pull off point. It was a crucial point where the guide gives us a safety brief. Instead our guide didn't communicate with us at all and we ended up going over the rapid. Our guide was swearing as we were all plunged into this horrible rapid! We shouldn't have been in that situation! My friend got caught in the rapid, helplessly searching for a way out for about a minute. Finally a guide threw her a rope and she got out but she almost died!! She could have drowned. I was greatly disappointed with our inexpieranced guide and the whole adventure in fact. Even when we told the owner of our expierance he didn't do much to help us out, but did say our guide shouldn't have been in the raft! Since he wasn't expieranced. I greatly discourage anyone from using this compnay! There was one other raft on the tour and their guide had a bit more expierance and they had a great time. You must be careful with who your guide is on these adventures! Personal safety is most important.

Visited September 2012
Omegalodge, Owner at Omega Tours - Day Tours, responded to this review, October 4, 2014
This is probably the worst that ever happened on a trip in the history of Omega Tours.
Safety is our primary concern on every trip.
For sure many people think they are going to die getting soaked back into a hydraulic. There were other guides out on the trip that handled the rescue fine....except the injured knee.....very sorry for that. I remember we were icing it once you were back.
That day wrong decisions were made and you are right, your guide should not have been guiding you down the river.
Over night it rained, the river was further up then expected, a great rafting level actually that your guide was not supposed to be guiding ( he was here to train and not to guide.).
For sure I took your experience very serious and your guide had to leave the following day.
I posted the same answer on your friends review that has been in the same raft with you!
Sorry again!

Siem Reap, Cambodia
3 attraction reviews
“PLEASE BEWARE OF RAFTING WITH THIS COMPANY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I will NEVER go back to this company again. I almost drowned on this rafting trip because our guide did not pull over and give us a safety briefing that he was supposed to before going over a class 4 rapid. (The other rafting boat on the river that day did and sailed over without a care in the world.)We were given a safety briefing at the beginning of this tour but it did not cover that kind of rapid (keeper hole i believe)

Our guide was new to the area, he said that he had only been there 5 days, but had experience rafting and there was another guide in the safety kayak who had rafted there for years so we didn't realize just how bad our trip would go. Our guide in the raft hardly communicated at all the whole trip and he lost control of the raft repeatedly; he was cursing throughout much of the trip not inspiring any confidence in him. Our raft flipped over three times, during one of these collapses my friend knocked her knee against a large rock. When she told him and the other guide about it they dismissed it and didn't even take a quick look to see how serious it was. Needless to say, we were both very frightened after these two experiences. My friend wanted out, but since we were in the middle of the river we had to continue. She then asked our guide what rapids were coming up next, he told us that he didnt know and that he had NEVER completed the full course. We complained to the owner and he said that the guide with us in the raft was not supposed to be with us and was supposed to be in the kayak as back up. He did refund us SOME of the money, but still charged us $10 for spending the night, even though that was "included" in the rafting not a separate charge. Seemed like everyone was trying to keep it hush hush. They didn't take it as seriously as they should have.

Visited September 2012
Safety is our primary concern on every trip.
Sorry again!
Evanston, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome Rafting and Hiking Adventures!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I recently did a rafting day tour and a hiking day tour with Omega Tours, and they were both fabulous! The guides were friendly and really fun, and they made us feel confident the entire time. The rafting tour was split into two parts - the first part was a bit of mild 'canyoning' in which the guides had us jump off of rocks into the river. We mainly floated/swam, walked on rocks a bit, jumped, and repeated (all with life vests on so it was really safe). Then we went rafting on classes 1-4 rapids in groups of 3-5 per boat. The rapids weren't scary at all (even the class 4). They were just extremely fun! The next day we went on the waterfall hiking tour, and the guides were incredible. The hiking is a bit difficult, with lots of walking and mild climbing on rocks, but the hike is beautiful. There are two waterfalls along the way, and you can swim in both, which I highly recommend! After the tours, Omega provides an awesome lunch with really, really good food.

Visited August 2012
Evanston, Illinois
“Great adventure!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Omega Tours was amazing. We had a group of 24 and did the kayaking in Cacao Lagoon, rafting, and the hike to the waterfall over the course of 3 days. The kayaking was peaceful and relaxing and in the middle of it, we made our way to the beach where we had a great lunch of sandwiches. We got to see and hear a holler monkey on the tour. The next day we did rafting and boulder jumping into the river. It was a ton of fun, but I think we didn’t get to do as much rafting, because the river was low. The last day we did the hike to the waterfall. I thought this would be the least interesting, but it ended up being my favorite. It was a difficult hike/climb and we spent a lot of the time using both our hands and feet. We had to work as a group to get past some of the obstacles, so it really bonded our group. At the end, we reached the breathtaking secluded waterfall. When we finally made it back to the lodge, the Omega team cooked us an amazing feast. Maybe I was just tired from the long hike, but it was the best taking spaghetti I’ve ever had. Omega was so much fun & I’d recommend them to anyone who visits La Ceiba.

Visited August 2012
Portland, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Amazing River and Guide, Stiff Owner”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The river, guide, food, and staff were top notch. Doing both the upper and lower parts of the river made it a very exciting day and the food and drink afterwards were both delicious and reasonably priced. The only problem that I had was that the taxi, which Omega was supposed to have arranged, never showed up. My fiend and I had to pay for a taxi to the lodge. When I explained this to the owner, he was more than suggestive that we were not at the right place to be picked up, or that I was lying. He handled the situation very poorly and refused to reimburse any amount for the taxi. His and only his attitude was rotten throughout my stay there.

Visited July 2012
sorry to hear that our shuttle did not work out for you!
I do not recall the details 100% any more but for sure I did not suggest that you are lying. you were supposed to arrive with another bus company then you did, our taxi driver was waiting at a different terminal. As the shuttles are not included in our packages you would have had to pay your shuttle anyways, except you got charged more then our trusted taxi driver would have asked for.
Sorry for having made your stay not that enjoyable, I am glad to hear that you had at least good rafting tours.
good day