“Best Place to Stay in the Jungle” 5 of 5 stars

Villas Pico Bonito
Km 7.5 Carretera de Yaruca | Rio Cangrejal, La Ceiba, Honduras   |
Hotel packages
Deer River, Minnesota
“Best Place to Stay in the Jungle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a nice place to stay for R & R and for activity. Close to zip line, rafting and hiking. Quiet enough to just relax and do nothing. Just visited for the 3rd time. It's were I like to go to adjust to the tropics before my yearly medical mission trips in remote areas of Honduras. The grounds are beautiful, staff is wonderful and the food is great. Lodges are clean and well furnished. Look forward to visiting again next year!

Room Tip: I like the Tucano and Bejuco because they are away from the activity of the pool and grill. I also e...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We returned to Villas for our second consecutive year and brought more friends with us. The grounds and villas were even more beautiful than we had remembered. A perfect combination with our stay in the Bay Islands, we found everyone accomodating and gracious. Even though Richard, the general manager, was not there, Ana, Leticia and the entire staff were responsive to all of our requests and even anticipated things that we did not. Food was good; after five days of fish, the cheeseburger was incredibly good. Garlic shrimp were great--and try the rice(we didn't until the last day). The villas are beautifully situated and decorated; beds are great and bathrooms first world. We shared the Ceiba Tree with another couple in our group and the third couple was in the Jungle Lodge. The kitchen facility in Ceiba Tree was full service; in Jungle Lodge, fine for a couple. We self-catered a couple of meals but enjoyed the food so much that we preferred the bar/dining area for the food and the good company of other guests. We all thought we had the best rooms possible. The pool is gorgeous, views spectacular and great relaxing with opportunities for rafting, riding, thermal baths, zipline, hiking--one can do as much or as little as one wishes.

Room Tip: Ceiba Tree is great for two couples or families--just as gorgeous as it looks in the pictures.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We lived in Honduras for a year volunteering about an hour from Villas Pico Bonito and this was our secret little getaway for a day or two. Stunning pool overlooking the river, great steak done perfectly. We've been here at least 4 times and every time we enjoy the property, the friendly staff is helpful and always close by. It's a paradise away from the grime of La Ceiba!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Pico Bonito is the single most beautiful place I have ever been and if you're going to visit, I would not stay anywhere but Villas Pico Bonito!!

My boyfriend and I came to Honduras to visit Roatan but before we got on the boat to the Bay Islands, I stumbled across the reviews of Villas Pico Bonito and decided to spend 2 nights. If I would have known what it was like, I'd probably cancel my entire trip to Roatan and just stay here. It was incredible.

I arranged for pick-up from the bus station. It's a long, bumpy drive up the hill but the scenery was beautiful. We ran into Ricard on our way up and he told us that he moved us from Colibri lodge to the Jungle Lodge since it was open. Such a great surprise! We were on a budget so I booked the Colobri, but the Jungle Lodge was incredible and I'm so excited we got to stay in it. It had the most breathtaking view of the river. We sat on the extremely comfortable reclining chairs on the patio and stared at the view for hours.

The room was very comfortable and could easily fit more people than just 2. We didn't have any problems with mosquitoes at all! I brought a net but honestly didn't need it.

We were visiting during slow season and he said nobody would be checking in during the 2 nights we were there so we had the entire grounds to ourselves! We layed in hammocks, swam in the pool day and night and took the hike to the waterfall. We decided to do it on our own without a guide. It's about .5 mile walk to the entrance of the park and then it took us 4 hours round trip to hike to the waterfall and back. We went slow though and looked at all of the amazing plants and insects in the jungle. We didn't see any wildlife but could hear the trees rustling a lot. We didn't run into anyone during the whole duration of our hike. Warning: you should be in pretty good physical shape to attempt the hike. There's not really a specific trail and we had to swing around branches, climb up and down slippery rocks etc. At the top was the most breathtaking waterfall ever. So worth the long hike up. Bring snacks and tons of water!!

Because we were the only guests during the 2 nights we were at Villas Pico Bonito, on one of the days Richard had given the day off to some of his employees. He made sure we were fed though and drove us up the hill to eat at Omega Jungle Lodge which was delicious. We never were hungry. If we stayed longer, I would have definitely went grocery shopping in order to make some meals and save a little bit of money. The food was great though!

Richard is awesome. He answered all of our questions and even let us borrow his flashlight.

I was concerned before we came when I'd check the weather forecast. It showed thunderstorms all day and I was worried we'd be stuck inside. When we got there it was gorgeous weather. Sunny all day except for a few hours in the evening when it would rain. The rain was magical though.

The grounds are so beautiful and the jungle is so incredible, the prices of these lodges is a steal. I tell everyone about this place and cannot wait until my next trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Montclair, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great jungle lodge. My husband and I and our two daughters (7 & 9) stayed in the Casita. It was a nice size and had everything we needed. Some of the larger lodges were in slightly better locations, overlooking the river. The Casita is close to the road. It's a remote place though, so I can't say we were bothered by noise.

The grounds are beautiful. It's also very private. I believe that the place was full, but there's still room for privacy.

Richard booked a rafting trip for us on the River Cangrejal. I would highly recommend it. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the rafting company, but the lodge will handle all of the booking. It was great fun.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cayman
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Colibri Lodge for 3 nights and it was fantastic. It was the cheapest of the lodges since it was just myself traveling I didn't need anything fancy. However what an awesome place to be. The room was clean and it had everything I needed for a short weekend trip away from Grand Cayman. I could hear the river and stream which ran near the lodge. I ate each evening at the restaurant and the food was amazing. They had everything from Curry Coconut Shrimp to Burgers and the chips with beans and cheese was awesome. The staff really make this place even more special with friendly service, good drinks and great food. I booked tours with Omega. They offered pick-up service but on the first day I decided to check it out & walked up the road from the hotel. I felt very safe and it only took about 20 minutes or so to walk. In rainy season I would suggest bringing extra plastic bags to put your wet clothes in as nothing really dries in the humidity. Also for those that get cold easy sweaters and a long pair of pants. The suspension bridge is a must for those wanting to get in a full view of the river from above. It's a quiet hotel with just the perfect setting overlooking the waterfall. I look forward to returning to Honduras for more Whitewater rafting and hiking. When I do, this will be the place I stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
roatan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

We just spent a week at the Villas.
Richard was our first contact when making a reservation. He was quick to answer our questions and make suggestions, which made our travel simple and worry-free!
The villa were as shown in the pictures, as was the resort, although it was even more beautiful in person! A lot of thought went into the design of the foliage and fawn and being nature lovers, we spent a lot of time in the gardens, by the river and by the pool, which gave us a clear view of the spectacular waterfall directly across the river high above the mountains.
We have already planning our next trip back! I highly recommend Villas at Pico Bonito. Being in tourism ourselves, we expect a high level of customer care, and it was provide by every staff member on site! Letis, Anna, Will, Edda. And of course Ace & Lucy were great company too!

Room Tip: For a more private & natural experience stay in the river lodges. It's farthest from the mai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Villas Pico Bonito? Share your experiences!