“It's about people” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda la Esperanza

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Copan
Hacienda la Esperanza
Ranked #1 of 22 Copan B&B and Inns
Guatemala City, Guatemala
“It's about people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Staying at Hacienda la Esperanza was like staying with friends or family for us. Rodger made us feel at home from the first moment on. Everything easy and relaxed.
My impression was: It's about people, not money. You pay a fair price for wounderful accommodation and food, and the money you spend goes to a hospital that helps local children for free. In otherwords: It's a place full of good vibration :).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
foxcritter, Owner at Hacienda la Esperanza, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Hi Mr.T,

I use that name because the guidelines of Trip Advisor tell us not to use your real name, so I just want to thank you for your wonderful review. Yes, it is not about the money. It is about making our guests feel like they have made a new friend rather than just stayed at some Bed and Breakfast.

We are driven to do our best for our clients because so much depends on it. Blessings to you and your family. I hope we see you again.

Rodger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

A couple of friends rode their motorcycles from Mexico and the US to visit me in Honduras this past month. They are fantastic hosts when I ride to their countries so I wanted to show them a special time while in Honduras. Of course hotel selection was crucial and Hacienda La Esperanza did not disappoint. Rodger´s hospitality is unmatched. It is really like being part of the family. Beautiful property plus you get the best breakfast and homemade bread in Copan. Like the title says we only wish we could have stayed more days. If you are looking for a special place to stay while in Copan this is it. If theme hotels are your idea of special then there´s a Clarion right in front of the ruins.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Hello mi amigo,

The only person, other than yourself who wanted you to stay more days than you did, was us.

You guys were great. TA does not allow me to say your names, but please tell the others in your party that we enjoyed them staying with us as much as you enjoyed visiting with us. I have always said that a stranger/guest is just a friend that you haven't met yet, and you proved it.

We will always remember you and I hope we see you again on your next visit to Copan.

Keep your lumber stacked neatly and be sure to keep dat bike between the ditches! Varooooom!

Your friend,

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

For the best in hospitality, delicious food, authenticity, and to bring additional meaningfulness to your time in Copan, stay at Hacienda la Esperanza. This B&B operates as a non-profit in partnership with the adjacent medical clinic and your stay helps fund this important work. Rodger is deeply invested in the Copan community and has a wealth of information and insight to share. We appreciated the tranquility and beautiful surroundings of the property while also being within walking distance of downtown. We immediately felt at home here and were welcomed with warmth and generosity in the homelike atmosphere. The rooms are beautifully appointed and comfortable. We enjoyed our time spent here as much as our time exploring the Copan area; it is not simply a place to sleep. Our only regret was not staying longer!

Dear Ms "C"

Thanks so much for the great review. It means a lot to us to know that we have pleased you. If there is anything you ever need from us please do not hesitate to call. If in your future travels around the sun, you ever find your self on a course, to our part of the world, please know that you are truly a welcomed, and honored guest.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

We have nothing but wonderful things to say about Hacienda la Esperanza and its owners, Rodger and Suyapa. First, its location is nice because is far enough away from the town center so that you don't get the noise and commotion, but close enough to walk there in a few minutes. The grounds are impeccable and gorgeous, as is the Spanish colonial-style house where we stayed. Our room was well appointed and the bed was comfortable. Breakfasts were wonderful - bowls of fresh fruit, eggs, beans, and juices. Aside from its layout, location, and food being ideal for us, the real value of this place is the incredible generosity of its owners. Rodger happily drove us around town, took us to a rural village, and generally went out of his way to make us feel comfortable. We felt like guests, not customers, and this really made a difference. Lastly, we appreciated the fact that our stay helped support the non-profit health clinic down the road, which Rodger founded and now serves as a critical component of the community there. We brought toys and stuffed animals for the children they serve. We highly recommend this place and hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the kind review of the Hacienda. Since TA will not allow me to say your name I will just say how please we were to have you visit with us, and how much fun it was to take you into the mountains to the village.

Please, know that the clinic is doing well and we have a new doctor and that your vacation dollars went to a great cause. Just this last week we had a dia of compassion ( free clinic) and we treated many of the people you met in the mountains village for free. I only wish you could have been with us to see the good you created just by stopping by for a short visit.

If you ever find your way back down to our part of the world please know that you will be welcomed back , not only our guest, but as good friends as well.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I chose this place mainly because of the mission, but I love it for many other reasons. I've never stayed at a B&B where the owners seem so genuinely excited to have guests - as Roger told me, most of their guests tend to be medical personnel and volunteers, so it's a bit of a big deal when they have guest-guests. Every time we mentioned we were going somewhere, Roger drove us, without charge, and even gave us his cell number and offered to pick us up if we had a hard time getting a cab back (we never did, but still so nice of him). Our first afternoon, after returning from the bird park, Roger showed us around and offered us a cup of coffee thinking they had some made. When they didn't, his wife made a pot and offered us a snack, and Roger gave us a bag of the coffee (which he imports to the US to raise money for the clinic) as a souvenir. Breakfast was so delicious and huge - each night they asked us what time we wanted breakfast and if we had any special requests. Also, I love a hot, strong shower, and this shower almost left me a melted mess plastered on the wall (I mean that entirely as a good thing).

Some things to know: The windows in the bedrooms are basically screens with slats, which seemed to be the norm in most of the places we stayed in Honduras, but with the layout of the hotel could make romance awkward. All of the furniture and bedding are perfectly nice, but not by any means luxurious. They have Wifi, but neither of us were ever able to fully connect to it, and Roger didn't seem very tech savvy for troubleshooting - we ended up checking email over coffee and dessert at Cafe Welchez in town. We didn't find any of these things to be deal-breakers, but I think it's good to know what to expect.

Don't worry about the place being outside of town - it's a very easy walk if you're so inclined, and taxis are very cheap (usually US$1-2), easy to either catch on the street or find at the town square, and all know where the clinic is (which shares the same entrance as the hotel).

Dear "Guest guest",

Thanks so much for the kind review. It was great to serve you, and to make new friends. I say "guest guest" because I can't say your real names because TA does not allow it.

I am glad that you had such a great experience and I appreciate you pointing out the problems with the internet. We are and I guess will always be a work in progress, but we do listen to our guests and do everything in our power to make their stay as great as possible.

I talked to one of our volunteers who just so happens to be an Internet specialist about what you said about the slow wifi, and when he arrived he brought with him a bunch of signal amplifiers to improve our signal, so now the wifi problem seems to be solved.

He says part of the problem was the fact that the Hacienda is built too well. He pointed out that we used twice the amount of steel in the building than most people do, and so even though we are built to the highest standards, it has affected the quality of our wifi signal.

Anyway thanks for the tip and the advice and I hope that you two wonderful people can find your way back to visit us again.

San Salvador, El Salvador
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

The building, the environment, the cause, everything is absolutely amazing, but Roger and his family are the true value of this hotel, they couldn't be better and make your stay more pleasant than they do. We left the place feeling homesick, we didn't want to leave, but I'm sure we will go back, this time to help and volunteer. The food is incredible, the best breakfast ever, the fountain in the middle makes your sleep so good you will never forget your stay there, the dogs are charming, i really loved staying there. We made new friends in hacienda la esperanza, i promise ill go back to pick up some more stones in rockolandia Roger!

Room Tip: For couples choose The Carlos room, is really nice.