“Good place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
You added Trudy's Hotel to your Saves list
Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Utila
“Good place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying in one of the private rooms and the dorms. The priate rooms are ensuite, clean and comfy. The dorms are ok. The beds are clean and comfy, rooms are a bit small but the big problem is there are no lockers, I realise the island is safe, but you cant trust everyone, so I would have preferred lockers. There are only 2 bathrooms/showers for everyone in the dorms and vistors of the bar. The water is hot and powerful, but the bathrooms could do with more than one cleaning a day and some extra toilet paper. The bar was great and the food was good, the pizzas looked especially nice. The staff are lovely and helpful. The wifi is terrible unfortunately, most people couldnt get on it all day sometime, it wasnt the traffic because it also happened in the middle of the night. I would still stay here again and its good value for money. The hostel has its own beach, which is awesome! Plenty of places to chill out and meet people.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Was amazing! Was only meant to be there for our dive certificate and ended up spending an extra week! Was so much fun, great social life, great food, good accommodation. Only thing is make sure you put some oil on because the sand flies are crazy! Be prepared to be drunk most of the time! It was the best time of my life!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is a great place to stay for both value and social scene. The food is good and the drinks are cold and both are affordable even on a budget. Most night of the week they have some sort of special that gets the bar hopping. I stayed in my own room and it was just fine for what i needed. Cold AC and hot water! The location on the water couldn't be better! You will enjoy your time at Trudy's!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Biddulph, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed here after spending my first night on Utila elsewhere. I did not feel welcome there so when I came across Trudy's it was the welcoming vibe and the lovely, accommodating manager Tammy that bought me in and made me choose this place over anywhere else on the island.

I was not disappointed, the dorm room was clean and with a fan, the fan did not work when I first entered the room, I mentioned this to Tammy and it was fixed by the afternoon on the same day no questions asked! It was so easy to meet new people at this dive shop, the atmosphere was very lively and although I was travelling alone I soon felt very welcome and made many new friends.

I ended up staying here for a while, and completed several dive courses along the way. The restaurant is open at 6.15am every morning which is super useful for breakfast before a dive and also with a great new coffee machine a great way to wake up! The lunch menu when returning from the morning dive was always good, and the special they do every day is possibly the best lunch option on the island. They were always top quality and hand made by Tammy the manager!

The evenings at Trudy's were like a big family get together, between both the staff and the visitors everybody was welcomed and it was the social place to be on the island. The evening dinner specials were always busy as they went down a storm so if you fancy the islands best gourmet handmade burgers, wings, pizzas or bbq specials make sure you get your order in early!

Overall I cannot recommend this place highly enough, the staff, the atmosphere, the customers and even the locals that join in helping around the shop all make this place unbeatable! This became my home, and the people here my family. If you want a welcoming and fun place to stay on Utila, with clean, cheap accommodation, good quality food and welcoming and helpful staff this is the place!!

I will most definitely be returning one day!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Paramus, New Jersey, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My room was dirty and my AC was noisy. I had bugs in my room, ick! diving was ok tho. Hotel was full so I couldn't switch to another room, but they were atleast not mean about it but were unable to resolve. decent location however.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed during Semana Santa. Half of our group was diving with Underwater Vision but the rest of us was not. They still accomodated us. We stayed in a dorm. It was not the best dorm I have ever stayed in, a little cramped and could have done with another fan but it was cleaned daily and most definitely worth the amount we paid for our stay. Particularly when you can step outside to the ocean. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the food and drink were very reasonably priced and tasty.
Having seen the other hostels/dive centres on the Island, I think this place stood out because of it's 'beach area'. There was plenty of space to chill out: hammocks, deck chairs and volleyball, large bar area. Other places only seemed to have a dock and not much else. It was a great place to meet people and start a night out as travellers and hondurans came here from other hostels.
I would definitely stay again but possibly in one of the private rooms with a/c upstairs.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bend, Or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here for just three days while visiting from Roatan. I can't say enough about how great the staff was, how friendly and knowledgeable the dive masters were, and how awesome all the other guests were! We showed up and almost instantly had 30 friends! Great food and drinks right on site, and daily beach volleyball. We stayed in a super affordable private room with AC and two beds. It was a special few days filled with lots of diving and lots of Salva Vidas, so happy we decided to stay here, don't hesistate to do the same!!! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Lots of options available for all price ranges.