“Best place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Trudy's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Trudy's Hotel
You added Trudy's Hotel to your Saves list
Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras   |
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Utila
Riedenburg
“Best place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

My first three nights have been on an other placed and than I moved over to Trudy's and Underwatervision (that's the dive center of trudy's) and it's really the best place to stay. I stayed 10 nights and I was a short term. Most of the people stay at least 3 weeks or longer.

the location is really good, clean and comfortable. the staffs are also very friendly and helpful, no matter the restaurant girls or the dive staffs.

As I was diving almost everyday they tried to not go to the same dive sites again, where I have already been, which was very nice as they also had to check with their courses.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I traveled to Utila a few weeks ago with two good friends to complete our Open Water PADI certification. We stayed in a 2 bunk (4 bed) room at Hotel Trudy's and dove with the affiliated Underwater Vision dive company. It was phenomenal! The rooms was so-so, but the price (free while completing certification) couldn't be beat. The courtyard was great and dive sites off the island were amazing. Our divemaster for training had safety as his number one priority, and fun as his second. He was very friendly, patient, and knowledgeable. I'm planning on coming back next year to spend a couple of weeks diving with them. If you're going to Utila, stay here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights in early March 2012. We were diving with another shop on the island but wanted to find somewhere with a little nicer accommodations than our shop provided. Trudy's hotel was very clean and had a very nice courtyard with sand volleyball, hammocks, chairs, pool tables, and a restaurant/bar with a tv lounge area. The rooms had ac and a private bathroom with towels and a few toiletries.

We were very happy with the atmosphere of the hotel.

However, we were less than pleased with the service. We had stopped by earlier in the week and reserved a private room with a double bed. The woman at the desk told us we had it reserved and we could come by and check in any time after 9am. We came around noon and were informed that the room was not ready. We left our things in the office and came back around 4pm and were told that the previous tenant had decided to stay and there was nothing she could do about it. We were given a room with two twin beds, and were told that there was no way we could get a discount of any type. The next day after talking to another person we were able to move to a different room with a double bed. The tenant that they had given us their word about that they would move out the next day, never moved out the whole time we were there.

So, overall nice accommodations, but the management needs to improve on their customer service.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

When coming to a dive destination island like Utila, there are two central questions for experienced divers looking for fun dives (or to advance their certification) or for new divers ready to get certified for their PADI Open Water. Those questions are simple but critical: where to stay and who to dive or learn with? With so many dive and lodging options to choose from on Utila, the choices are confusing at best. Fortunately, Trudy’s Hotel and their onsite dive shop Underwater Vision (UV) provide superb answers to both questions!

With 350 +/- dives in 25 countries as a PADI Advanced Opern Water Diver, I have experienced dive shops and lodging of all quality and safety levels. After spending two weeks in February 2012 diving with Underwater Vision and staying at Trudy’s Hotel, I could not have been happier or recommend them more highly. They combine a genuine excitement about diving and professional yet personal care for divers and guests that makes for a great dive trip! In this review I hope to make it easy for someone who has not been to Utila to make an informed (and I believe the best) choice for a dive shop and lodging.

Lets start with diving with Underwater Vision (UV). The dive shop is onsite just steps from your room featuring a multinational staff able to connect with divers from many countries. They could not have been more attentive or fun to dive with. From setting up each divers gear every day to match each individual diver (although I brought my own gear as I always do) to briefing and logging dives (and identifying the many creatures and corals seen on each dive), the UV staff provided a positive comprehensive dive experience to divers on every level. From multiple roll calls before leaving the dock and between/after dives and divemasters who actually do lead the dives (not on autopilot as some divemasters do) to reasonable dive group sizes, the UV team was as safety conscious as any I have seen. While I did not need much extra attention, other divers did and the UV staff was right there to help them. There was always more than enough help above and below the surface and at the dive shop.

After my experience I am mystified by one review here that talks of them keeping people down so long “they ran out of air”. That reviewer may not have much dive experience or could not have been diving with UV. I have seen many times at other quality shops in other places where a diver is new and/or just uses a lot of air and a divemaster will have them ‘buddy breathe’ for a while to extend their dive (and not unimportantly extend the dive for the other divers in the group). That procedure is not unsafe in any way and is the proper professional way to handle that situation.On my trip, I personally did not see any dives on my trip that the UV divemasters needed to do that. Always looking for and observing the divers in their group and checking their air consumption, the UV divemasters were professional and safety conscious at all times.

On Utila certifications are a central part of any successful shop because it is one of the most cost effective places to learn to dive or take advanced courses. While I was not there to take classes, I observed the way UV handled their students and talked to many students who were there to take classes. Those students I spoke with repeatedly told me they were very comfortable and happy with their instructors and expeerience learning. From my observation, the UV staff was concerned with actually teaching people how to dive and not just certifying divers. For an experienced diver like me, the UV staff made my ‘fun diving’ fun every day by being helpful and genuinely enthusiastic about each dive. There was a positive energy on the boat every day. With divemaster trainees also assisting on dives, there were always more than enough experienced people in the water with divers on every dive.

One word of advice to experienced divers who do have their own gear. At any shop generally (including UV) that does a lot of dive certifications the gear gets a lot of use. While I did not see any faulty gear (other than typical minor gear issues not uncommon with any gear), I always prefer my own gear no matter where I dive. If you have your own gear you like make the effort to bring it… that is why you have it!

After staying here at Trudy’s Hotel (with the UV shop right on site) and checking out some other shops and lodging options, I can say that staying at Trudys was truly great choice that no doubt helped make my trip the fun it was. Located on the eastern bay shore of Utila town, Trudy’s is perfectly located to access everything in Utila town by foot. Naida, the very sweet owner, is onsite every day and her staff genuinely make every guest and diver feel “at home” while staying there. They have 4 different lodging options for divers on every budget from dorm style beds for the many international true backpackers that frequent Utila to private rooms with and without air conditioning and the Trudy Suites. I stayed in a private room with AC overlooking Trudy’s beach sand covered waterfront property. It was clean and the housekeeping staff did a good job every day. Visiting new friends staying at Trudy’s Suites (also on the property) the nice size rooms offer TV and other amenities. For anyone and especially for a couple or friends, they seemed like a very nice, very comfortable and yet still reasonable option.

My room (and the whole property) had a great sunset view and had me just steps away from my morning dives and the great atmosphere at Trudy’s bar and restaurant. With wonderful and reasonable food and drinks, Trudy’s bar is that classic island dive bar where guests, divers, locals, staff and friends can connect. From the daily sunset volleyball games on the 'beach' to the big Saturday night BBQ, Trudy’s was always full of life and fun.

Travelling alone or with a friend, Trudy’s will become your happy fun homebase for a great dive trip on Utila. They have all the inside info on what to do and how to do it on Utila and how save money and time doing it. I want to thank Tamara (the owner’s daughter who is very sweet and runs the office and more) for being so nice and helpful to me. I want to give a shout out to the great divemasters (and my new friends) and especially Pete and Andreja who not only lead me on some really fun dives and underwater adventures but also taught me some new things that will improve my diving for the future. Rare is the shop that can not only make diving really fun for an experienced diver but can teach “an old dog some new tricks” and tips to make them a better diver! Bravo!

So if you are looking for a high end fancy schmancy “tourist” dive vacation, you should look at other shops or maybe less dive oriented islands.. The “10 dives only and lay by the pool” type of diver might be better off going to Sandals paying alot more money for a 'tourist' dive vacation. But if are like me and you see every dive as an underwater adventure or want to learn to or to improve your diving, Trudy’s Hotel is where you should begin on Utila. If you appreciate a great dive shop, great staff, nice clean lodging and lots of fun fun fun diving…. look no further than Trudy’s Hotel and diving with Underwater Vision!

Thanks again to everyone at Trudy’s Hotel and Underwater Vision dive shop!

FYI: Looking to dive the North side a little more, I did do a few dives with another shop on the island and was not impressed at all.

Trudy's Hotel/Underwater Vision is redoing their website as of February 23, 2012. Do not let that discourage you!!!!!! Stay and dive with them! You'll be happy you did!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I traveled to Utila in October on a 2 week dive trip (one week Utila, one week Roatan). Hotel Trudy is a charming spot, and very affordable if you dive with them. We had a private room with hot water. Very basic, just a bed, a bit of storage space, air conditioning and a small bathroom, but it was perfect for the little amount of time we spent in the room. There is a bar on site, with cheap beer, and good food. A few nights a week they have themes, like wing night (Tammy's hot sauce is to die for!), or a special bbq. There is also beach volleyball on site, and everything is within walking distance.
We decided to dive with Underwater Vision, the affiliated dive center, and were beyond impressed. All of the dive staff are top notch, and safety is the number one priority. We completed our advanced open water certification with them as well. The dive staff are super friendly, and we spent most of the time hanging out with them at the bar in the evenings, or on rainy afternoons.
I highly recommend this hotel for friends, couples, or solo travelers, and I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The dorms are basic, with 4 beds (free with a dive course). The private rooms are basic but totally...