“It's Magical” 4 of 5 stars

Utila, Bay Islands, 34201, Honduras   |
new castle, IN
“It's Magical”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2007

We just stayed at the Jade Seahorse at Nightland Cabins and it was a magical place to spend the week. Our daughter and her fiance found it by accident last year and fell in love with it instantly as the place they wanted to get married. When you walk through the doors you can't imagine the beauty inside the property. Neil and Julia Keller have created a story book land of arches, walkways, stairs and gazebos made of glass, coral, shells, etc. Each of the six sleeping cabins are decorated individually and very comfortable. There are numerous sitting areas on the grounds and for the evening the Treetanic Bar sits up in the trees ready for a party or a quiet drink for two. There is a restaurant on the property with a short but tasty menu with inside or outside dining. Within a block or two there are several other local restaurants to choose from at very reasonable prices. It is a 20 minute walk to either beach (private or public) but there is a moped rental right next door and club cars are available nearby. The owners and staff were very pleasant and helpful, preparing the gardens for our dinner reception with 55 wedding guests. It is the most unique place I have ever stayed and I highly recommend it if you are going to Utila.

• Liked — it's unique artsy surroundings
  • Disliked — No Pool but the upside was you went to the beach everyday
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2007

The Jade Seahorse/Nightland Cabins/Treetanic Bar is a sight to behold. My wife and I had only a little sense of what this artist's dreamscape was from our guide book. It's so much more. Under the canopy of huge breadfruit and mango trees this complex is stunning. Every inch of the place is covered with art complete with a sea shell tunnel and glass bottle walls. Neil, the owner/artist, works on adding art almost every single day of the year, and has done this for 12 or 13 years he said. As for the rooms, coming from the US Neil made sure that the place is up to western standards in terms of comfort, each with plenty of space and large bathrooms. When we checked in we had an opportunity to look at a few of the rooms and decide in which we were to stay. Every room is different and has a different theme, (we stayed in the Mono Loco cabin, which is a hybrid Mona Lisa and monkey room). In the front of the property is the Jade Seahorse restaurant which is run by Neil's wife, Julia, who is an island native and is an excellent carribean cook. Like the rest of the property, the restaurant is entirely covered with art, much of it in this case though, is found objects, (and many things Neil found on on the island and Ebay). The (Treetanic) bar, though, seems to be the most popular attraction on the property. It is a bar roughly shaped like a ship built up in the heights of the mango trees. Drinks are cheap and it lures in a lot of the international set including the dive instructors. Needless to say we had a great time staying here and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2006

Beautiful and enchanting place. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a truly unique place to stay. Staff, service, and food were all excellent.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

I just returned from a trip to Utila and stayed at Nightland. I have to say it is one of the best places I've ever stayed. First, there are the grounds themselves, which have to be seen to be believed. The level of detail and imagination that went into the grounds make clear that this is truly a labor of love. Look anywhere, and you will see something different. I often saw people wandering in with cameras to take pictures, mouths agape, marveling at the amount of talent and work that went into realizing this vision.

The rooms themselves are great too -- they are decorated with the same dedication to whimsy as the exteriors, each with its own theme. As much of the grounds sit atop a hill, a cool breeze blows constantly, leaving the viewer with a breath of fresh air and the tranquil sound of wind chimes in their ears.

Finally, I cannot leave out the kittens that roam the grounds - so cute! Really a great find, plus the owners, Julia and Niel were terrific. I will definitely go back, and I will be staying at the Nightland Cabins.

• Stayed July 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

As an architect, one of the great thrills of my life was to visit Barcelona, Spain and view the works of Antoni Gaudi who designed the great cathedral Sagrada Familia "Plaça de la Sagrada Familia”. His work was inspired by gothic style yet is considered a landmark of modern architecture.

I will never forget being at the highest point in the cathedral, viewing what appeared to be decorative glass disks embedded into the concrete when I realized they were actually the bottoms of wine bottles (probably left over from construction the workers’ lunch).

On a recent visit to the beautiful island of Utilia I was reminded of Gaudi’s work when I discovered the same playful use of material and sensuous design style at “Nightland Cabins”. This small hotel and a tree top restaurant is a feast for the senses. Every room, every area is individually and uniquely designed by owner/manager Neil Teller a transplanted, retired art teacher from California.

Late one evening, while walking back to my room after a delicious dinner of fresh fish in the restaurant, I noticed Neil busy gluing marbles to a mosaic pattern on a wall he was creating – he is always creating. Neil had not lost his marbles; he is a collector of marbles and many other things. He has used these colorful collectables creatively throughout every area he has built at Nightland Cabins. As in "Plaça de la Sagrada Familia” wine bottle and other everyday objects have become his material pallet. Each area is a work of art, a mosaic of design, and a feast for the senses.

Stayed May 2006
Roatan, Bay Islands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2006

My family and I stayed in the cabins and had a great time. Everything is well maintaned an the art is so out of this world you wouldn't imagine. The owner is an artist so you can imagine. While we were there we met the owners and they told us where to go and hang out and showed us a wonderful time.
The cabins are like so amazing, well actually the whole place is amazing and I think that you will never find a most gorgeous place in the world like this.
I highly recommend you stay at this place. We visited a few hotels on the island and nothing compares to this.

If you plan on going to Utila this is the best

• Stayed May 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

We finally found paradise. I don't know why this place isn't written up in all the travel magazines and sites. I guess its because those that go there want to keep it as their private hiding place....

We were in a restaurant in Beverly Hills and overheard some people talking about their incredible find on this little Caribbean island (Utila) near Honduras. They were raving so much about the place that I just had to ask them directly for more details. They said it was called the Jade Seahorse and after looking them up on the net, I booked a cabin for the family. I have never been so happy with a decision!

This place is secluded from reality. We stayed for 5 days and each one was a discovery of something new. From the minute we walked into the front gate, our jaws dropped in awe at the pandamoneum of color and artistic expression. It didn't close until we left the island! We wound thru the botanical gardens and soaring glass encrusted arches, thru a coral lined grotto and emerged in the cabin area. It was like walking into a Dr. Seuss scene!
The inside was just as much fun with each surface holding a decorative surprise. Even the bathroom was creative, with glass bricks and handcarved wooden counters.

We ate in the restaurant almost every day since it was the best food and decor on the island. In the evening, their bar (called the Treetanic Bar since its in the shape of a ship and nestled up wooden steps in the tree tops) was always busy and fun. They have a huge tropical drink menu and great music. To get back up to the cabins, we crossed a double decker bridge that lead back down to the tropical gardens, passing people waiting around the public bathrooms just for a glimpse inide since even those are works of art!

This is a place worth going to no matter where you've visited in the world. We're going back!

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Nightland Cabins at JadeSeahorse? Share your experiences!