“mediocre at best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Deep Blue Resort Utila

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Resort Utila
You added Deep Blue Resort Utila to your Saves list
Honduras   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Utila
A TripAdvisor Member
“mediocre at best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Unfortunately, I have to agree in most parts with the traveller from Moses Lake, Washington who posted a first review titled "Save your money, stay elsewhere". But lets start off with the good things first: the place is in a nice location right at the shore and in very nice condition. The rooms are spacious and clean, although do not expect phone service or TV. Rooms do have a refrigerator and are fully air-conditioned with a private patio and a hammock. The service staff, maids and handyman are very friendly, shy but forthcoming. They all seem to be young local people fresh out of school trying to make a living. The owners are a english couple, who try to be friendly, too. However, I always had the feeling that their friendliness is just a commercial necessity. I just didn't really warm up to them. The food is mediocre at best, very monotonous. There is a dinner menu you can chose from in the morning which has about 3 to 4 dishes. Yet, you order fish of the day 2 nights in a row and you get tuna until there is no more left. The advertised lobster is still hiding at the bottom of the sea. The whale sharks is another story, although we were searching for them at "high-season" 6 hours minimum a day, we didn't encounter any of them. Well, life is tough and I don't hold that against the resort. However, the 50 year old boat, that broke down on our way back to the airport, is just ridiculous.

Now, the divemasters the owner works with were fantastic, intelligent, funny people I would go on a dive with in a blink of an eye. Thanks to Nora and Jeff. However, the pay is lousy if not non existent. But that's supply and demand, if they are ok with that, I don't mind it. All in all, to me it seemed that the owners overstretched financially when undertaking this venture and now don't have the means to actually live up to their quality promise. The prices for the quality are absolutely not adequate. On top of things you are urged to tip a certain amount for the service staff which tells me they don't get paid well either. If the owners would just be a little more reasonable and wouldn't oversell their promises, it would be an ok location for budget travellers.

• Stayed March 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2005

I've been traveling and living in foreign countries for over 25 years. I've never had a worse experience than at Deep Blue Resort in Utila, Honduras. Their message board is limited to only favorable comments. Here's a few of mine that I hope will help you make a better decision.

First, the positive. Utila is an absolutely charming island, truly unique in the Caribbean. The reefs are in darn near excellent shape except for some algae growth that is a bit worrisome. Most people go to Utila to dive with the whale sharks, more on this later. But what makes the diving in Utila so wonderful is the variety of diving. From an underwater sea mount, to a sheer wall that drops thousands of feets, to beautiful coral gardens, and a great sand flat perfect for those unusual macro shots for the underwater photographer. Above the water, the food is good and the Utilan people are really friendly. Utila is definitely on my list of places to re-visit.

Now, where to stay. The main resorts, such as Deep Blue, are separated by a water channel from town. I cannot speak for the other resorts but Deep Blue will not provide you transportation to and from town for night life enjoyment. Also, there is no independent water taxi service on the island to these resort areas. Stay at Deep Blue resort and you become their prisoner.

Daily breakfast consisted of undercooked scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and hamburger mixed and made into little patties, a fruit bowl of the same fruit everyday, two kinds of muffins, toast, coffee, or juice. This wasn't intolerable on day 1, but they serve the same thing day, after day, after day. Lunch had more variety but remained uninteresting. Dinner was the same story. And the owner cannot cook at all. University student bachelors during finals week cook better. Moreover, one of the owners, who is the main cook, will stand next to the buffet counter and watch as you fill your plate. Heaven forbid you might take too much, or ask for seconds.

I was also promised the chance to scuba with whale sharks. When I arrived, I was informed that this is against Honduran law. One evening, though, I had the opportunity to speak with an official of the Honduran government whose job it is to monitor tourist interaction with whale sharks. He told me, literally, in these words: this is a lie. I felt it was inexcusable to be told a lie about this by the people at Deep Blue. Deep Blue also claimed to have one of just a few permits to snorkel with the whale sharks. The same government official stated this too was a fabrication.

Bottom line: go to Utila and have a great time. Stay away from Deep Blue at all costs.

• Stayed March 2005
, Owner at Deep Blue Resort Utila, responded to this review, June 17, 2005
We are genuinely sorry that a guest found their stay with us so unpleasant. We are a brand new resort with this year being our first full year. We have had 150 guests stay with us and as far as we are aware the majority of our guests enjoyed their stay with us, in fact so much so that many have already booked to come back .

Our greatest wish is that if a guest has issues with any aspect of our service that they share it with us at the time of the stay to allow us the opportunity to rectify problems immediately where possible. As a new resort and owners who were themselves resort divers we have tried to think of everything to meet the needs of our guests but if we are not made aware of problems then it is very difficult for us to deal with them or learn from them.

We are very happy to prepare food very specifically to guest requirements, for example we had a guest who only ate scrambled egg whites and these were made individually each day. We try very hard to provide a personal service to our guests and are disappointed that we were not able to provide it on this occasion.

Been to Deep Blue Resort Utila? Share your experiences!