“Great school, people and location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Deep Blue Divers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utila
Deep Blue Divers
You added Deep Blue Divers to your Saves list
The Point, Honduras   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Utila B&B and Inns
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great school, people and location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

I did my open water with Deep Blue. They are a small shop (groups will not be more than 4) which allows you to have almost one to one attention .Also they are quiet responsible, experienced and friendly. It was great for me as I was apprehensive about the open water and having such a personalized atention made me relax and really enjoy it. With your lives in your diver master's hands I'd rather dive with a quieter shop and if you want to party you can just go down the road .Talon, Henry, Andrea and Jasmin are not only great instructors and dive masters but also awasome people . Diving with them was safe and really fun. They make you feel part of it . As for the free accomodation I staid in a dorm (I believe if you are a couple they will do their best to put you in one of the private rooms) for 5 nights and ended up extending my stay for another 5 nights ! Communal kitchen, free wi fi, great bar / restaurant. I would definetly recommend the school to anyone.

Room Tip: Private rooms in the main house are cooler.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

I did both my open water and advanced open water divers with Deep Blue. They are a small shop with a handful of experienced and really friendly instructors. It was great for me because I was a bit apprehensive about even the open water and when I started there was no way I was going to get my advanced certification. However, because of the small groups and the focussed attention our great instructor, Talon Windwalker, I felt safe at all times and had the confidence and developed the excitement to take my diving further. Deep Blue is quieter than the other shops with regards to post dive activities. But with literally your lives in your diver master's hands I'd rather dive with the quieter shop and party elsewhere with instructors from other shops. And quiet at night does not mean boring dives. With Jose, the boat captain, blaring the latest Caribbean tunes and your dives masters more than happy to have a dance with you on the surface (Andrea) as well as underwater (ok they might just laugh with you while you dance), diving with these guys is safe AND fun. And I'd definitely recommend diving with a camera on the fun dives (which we were able to hire from the lovely Jasmin).
As for the free accommodation... we stayed in the private room which appeared to be a step up from the dorms but like most of the accommodation included in the dive packages on Utila is fairly basic. The bathrooms were shared and also basic but cleaned every day. There is wifi available throughout and it is good enough to skype or facetime. Considering how affordable the course is and that the accommodation for 5 nights is included it is a good deal. If you are wanting more salubrious digs or have a bit more money... I would recommend what I did for my advanced, staying at the Lighthouse about 100 m up the road and diving from Deep Blue.
Overall, I had a brilliant time diving with Deep Blue and would recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

We intended on staying here for 4 nights, 8 days later we had to drag ourselves away. Utila is an amazing place, and Deep Blue is the best place to experience it from. It's one of the smaller dive companies, situated right on the water. Our room was basically on the jetty, we will never forget waking up to the amazing views across the water, and best sunsets ever! The property itself is perfect, jetty with hammock and swings, well appointed kitchen, dvd selection with nice chill-out area and upstairs veranda to enjoy your meals. Hot shower available (rare on the island), nice rooms with fans and free snorkelling gear at your disposal. Then we have the diving - the staff are amazing, particularly Jazz (such a legend!), Andrea, Talon and Henry are great as well, knowledgeable and all really fun. Really experienced, professional, safety conscious dive instructors/masters. We did our advanced course here and Jazz is a star as I was really nervous (having not dived for a few years) - recognising how uncomfortable I was on my first dive, she took me out the next morning for a short refresher course and literally held my hand through my advanced! Couldn't be more grateful, got my confidence back and we had some amazing dives - saw eagle rays, porcupine fish, big trumpet fish, lionfish, huge scorpionfish etc etc...I would quite honestly say I wouldn't stay anywhere else on the island! We'll be back!

PS Make sure you eat at Babalu!!! MMMmmmmmmm Calamari :)

Room Tip: Ask for one on the jetty.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

For someone who was petrified of the thought of learning to dive, I came out of the Open Water learning experience really relaxed, confident and pumped to do more fun dives! Deep Blue were really patient and took the time to make sure you were comfortable before taking you further. The instructors were really friendly and I kinda missed them when we left! The great thing was, the instructors were not big party goers so you were sure to be in safe hands the next morning...and not having to worry about your life being in the hands of someone hungover (or possibly still drunk). The accommodation was clean and better than some of the other laces on the island that we ventured in to along the way! I would highly recommend this place, although it's a little more conservative than the "party party" dive shops...you can go out in the evening and make new friends and come back to the Dive Centre and just have a fun and relaxed Diving experience! Just keep your ears out for the double entendres!

• Stayed January 2012
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I'm a divemaster and stayed here for 5 days. My friends did the open water, rescue and the Advance Open Water. The staff is extremely friendly. There is a wi-fi everywhere. The on site bar / food is good. I bbq'ed fishes, coco and sweet potatoes. The price is a real bargain. Bring insect repellents because there are plenty of mosquitoes during the rainy season.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

I can't speak highly enough about Deep Blue and all of the great staff there. I was there this summer for about 2 1/2 weeks to do my Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue Diver, and a few specialty courses. My instructor Jasmin was fantastic!! She was extremely patient with me as a totally new diver, and really made me fall in love with diving. She's also very knowledgable about the wildlife around Utila, so diving with her is a real treat! All of the other diver masters/instructors/staff were wonderful and accommodating as well, and the bar/restaurant in the dive shop serves some of the best food and drinks on the island (don't miss the chicken and avocado sandwiches). Great place to kick back with a beer, watch the sunset, meet new friends, and just relax. The rooms are nice too, with many sitting right on the water - you can't beat it! Overall, this place is fun, professional, and your best bet on Utila - it has everything you need for a great trip. I will be back :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Deep Blue Divers was highly recommended to us by fellow travellers before we got anywhere near Utila and we understand why. The place is an unpretentious, laidback and super friendly little paradise with 5-star facilities and equipment. We went there for the PADI Open Water certification and ended up completing our Advanced course as well. This has everything to do with the fact that our instructor throughout, Jasmin B., was so awesome. Professional, capable and fun, she made us feel completely at ease in the water and took us to some great diving spots. We want to thank her for introducing us to this whole new world of diving and exploring. We would also like to thank Warren P., our fun-dive divemaster, for all round entertainment and for inviting us to join him and other members of staff on an unforgettable shark dive in Roatan. Regarding accomodation, Libby R. the manager didn't hesitate to give us a double room as we are a couple and to be honest, we already miss stepping out of our room onto the deck to catch the sunrise and stunning seaview. Finally, it must be noted that the food at Deep Blue Divers is quite simply the best on the island. We tried out other spots but kept coming back to the Blue Shore Cafe for great flavours. All in all, Deep Blue Divers rocks!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utila
Laguna Beach Resort
Coral Beach Village
Coral Beach Village
#1 of 16 in Utila
5.0 of 5 stars 15 reviews

Been to Deep Blue Divers? Share your experiences!