“Time Travel in Roatan” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #20 of 71 things to do in Roatan
More attraction details
Owner description: Roatan is a melting pot and we intend to tell you all about the wonderful ingredients. From the Payans to the Pirates to the Garifunas and back to the Pirates; through pictures, artifacts, music and more, we'll give you the the story that is hardly ever heard, The Roatan Story. Don't forget to take home one of the hidden treasures by purchasing an item from our authentic gift shop. It contains hand-made artifacts, paintings, and traditional clothing all made by a native person. Book your visit today! just contact us so that we may accommodate you.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Macon, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Time Travel in Roatan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

From the time we were greeted at the door until we left the center, I felt completely at home. The hospitality of the Flamingo cultural center is so welcoming that you feel like family the moment you enter. The experience was like stepping into a time machine with the best guide you could ever have. Audrey took us on a journey through the timeline of the Garifuna people and showed connections between the many diverse peoples that make up Roatan's population. When she showed us the cassava bread making process, she made us feel like we were in the village making it with her and even gave us samples to take with us. The performance of the dance and drum collective was nothing short of spectacular with an extremely entertaining crowd participation part. Finally, we were served a delicious lunch while sitting on the dock overlooking the beautiful Caribbean sea and the island coastline. I personally can't wait to go back and take more people with us and would recommend this tour for any group of any age.

Visited July 2014
Mauricio F, Owner at Flamingo Cultural Center, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
"Mi casa es su casa!" I'm glad you felt at home had a blast with the whole group can't wait for you guys and gals to visit us again!

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Flamingo Cultural Tour: Garifuna history and tour - Don't miss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I just didn't want to drive through Punta Gorda and the East End; I wanted to learn about the history of the Garifuna people in Central America. Audrey provides that enhanced experience for tourists who wish to have a more in-depth understanding of the Garifuna people and their part in the history of Roatan and Honduras. She took me on a tour of Punta Gorda and then to the Cultural Center that she and her family are in the process of developing. There are interesting exhibits already there with many more to follow. Audrey and Michael then served me a fresh cooked fish brunch out on the open air deck (parrot fish, plantains and rice). It was scrumptious. I highly recommend that you check out this fun and informative tour. Oh and did I mention I had broke my foot prior to this tour? No problem! Audrey and Michael helped me around in a wheelchair that they provided! They are extremely accommodating, kind and fun! (Photos to follow)

Visited June 2014
Mauricio F, Owner at Flamingo Cultural Center, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
We had a blast with you Cynthia! you truly are an inspiration and a great sport. I hope to see you again on a return visit!