As I had been to AKR in 2007 and loved the experience, I was looking forward to go back for my xmas 2012 vacation. Fortunately (yeah) they were full. That gave me the chance to discover Barefoot.
A few words are enough to describe Barefoot: high class boutique resort. I think it can accomodate no more than 30 guest or so at any time. Our room was actually on the main island, in the same building as the diving shop, overlooking the boats. Although we would have loved to have a cottage on the cay, that room did not disappoint us. On the contrary. Everything is crystal clean, the design of the room is awsome, no cheesy taste there. Very large room with kitchen. Ha! Kitchen. Useless, unless you want to save a few bucks. The food at the restaurant on the cay is sooooo good. Not your typical diving resort buffet style, even not comparable to the best of those. Made to order quality food. A menu designed a while ago by a real chef and staff trained to cook it perfectly. And flexible. My gf has some food restrictions and won't eat shrimps or pork for instance. "What would you like darling? Fish? Veggie lasagna? Name it".
The diving was very good although not the best I've had. But I'll go back in a beat and next time I dive with them I'll simply ask for more variety and will research my site before I go. *When I was there*, I though they had a tendancy to stay close to home and that somehow restricts the options. Mary's place is reaaally nice but not worth going three times in three days... However, the dive staff service is what's called "valet diving". They'll take super care of you. Don't look for you gear in your locker, it's already all setup and waiting for you on the boat when you signed up for the dive (of course). If you don't like others setting up your gear, just tell them and they'll adjust to your preferences. My girlfriend being a beginner and pretty anxious about her first boat dive, they paired up with our own DM and she loved the experience.
'Nough said. Just go.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Boutique resort includes a private cay and 9 luxury accommodations with your choice of beachfront or ocean views. This unique Caribbean retreat pampers guests with first-class amenities and absolutely outstanding service. Onsite PADI 5 Star Dive Center spoils divers with valet diving, customized itineraries, patient & friendly instructors, and incredible dive sites just minutes away. The resort features a swimming pool, gourmet dining, and spa services. All accommodations have air conditioning, high-speed internet, TV/CD/DVD, Heavenly Beds. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com and Odigeo so you can book your Barefoot Cay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barefoot Cay Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands
- Barefoot Cay Hotel Roatan