“A diving resort in a league apart...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Cay

Save Saved
You added Barefoot Cay to your Saves list
Barefoot Cay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada PPal, French Harbour & Brick Bay, 33126, Honduras   |
Offers & Announcements
20% OFF THANKSGIVING WEEK
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Montreal, Canada
“A diving resort in a league apart...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

As I had been to AKR in 2007 and loved the experience, I was looking forward to go back for my xmas 2012 vacation. Fortunately (yeah) they were full. That gave me the chance to discover Barefoot.

A few words are enough to describe Barefoot: high class boutique resort. I think it can accomodate no more than 30 guest or so at any time. Our room was actually on the main island, in the same building as the diving shop, overlooking the boats. Although we would have loved to have a cottage on the cay, that room did not disappoint us. On the contrary. Everything is crystal clean, the design of the room is awsome, no cheesy taste there. Very large room with kitchen. Ha! Kitchen. Useless, unless you want to save a few bucks. The food at the restaurant on the cay is sooooo good. Not your typical diving resort buffet style, even not comparable to the best of those. Made to order quality food. A menu designed a while ago by a real chef and staff trained to cook it perfectly. And flexible. My gf has some food restrictions and won't eat shrimps or pork for instance. "What would you like darling? Fish? Veggie lasagna? Name it".

The diving was very good although not the best I've had. But I'll go back in a beat and next time I dive with them I'll simply ask for more variety and will research my site before I go. *When I was there*, I though they had a tendancy to stay close to home and that somehow restricts the options. Mary's place is reaaally nice but not worth going three times in three days... However, the dive staff service is what's called "valet diving". They'll take super care of you. Don't look for you gear in your locker, it's already all setup and waiting for you on the boat when you signed up for the dive (of course). If you don't like others setting up your gear, just tell them and they'll adjust to your preferences. My girlfriend being a beginner and pretty anxious about her first boat dive, they paired up with our own DM and she loved the experience.

'Nough said. Just go.

Room Tip: When I go back, I'll try to get something on the cay facing the ocean. But even the rooms on the...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

From the moment you step foot on the little island paradise of Barefoot Cay, you feel safe and relaxed. The beach is beautiful and private, the pool area beautifully and thoughtfully designed with attentive bar tenders and restaurant near by and happy to serve. A most adorable mascot "Chacarron" is the most personable parrot you will ever have the delight to encounter and "talk" with. Those arriving by boat, enjoy a peaceful marina within steps of the pool area and beach, with a staff ready to give assistance in tying up to the dock, etc. Tiki hut at the end of the pier is a delightful place to sit, have coffee in the early morning or do yoga. However, you enjoy your relaxation time, this is a great place to do it. Have fun and tell Chacarron "hello" for me.

Room Tip: We stayed in the marina onboard our sailboat.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Best for snurkling and scuba diving,clean beach pleasant sorrrounding and very private with good security, we docked our yatch there and left it unlocked whenever we left the island.

Many places to eat outside the resort also like sport bars restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently stayed at Barefoot Cay (aboard a yacht - docked at Barefoot Cay). I must say that I loved it there! Beautiful resort. You can walk down the pier to the tiki hut, jump in the water & go snorkeling or diving. The water is crystal clear, great reef right there at the pier with tons of fish.
Loved spending the afternoon at the pool. Very private/exclusive. The staff is excellent! Perfect combination of attentive customer service & privacy. An added bonus is the resident parrot Chaccaron. I fell in love with this bird :) The food is great, the bloody mary's are even better...if you get the chance to visit this little slice of heaven, do it!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

After several years of keep going to Roatan and travel to many other places in the world, I never have found any other place that combines the harmony, good taste, and quality in everything you may ask for, Since Food, Service, Hospitality and Design, They are all find right here, at the same exact place.
Barefoot Cay, It's small enough to get to be know by your name for almost each one of the persons that work there,and at the end of your stay, you feel like you went to your dream beach house, nor to another big hotel, where you become one more of the many thousands guests that may arrive everyday, and that makes this place a dream, to be in,
Everything that you may ask you will find it right there, since snorkeling, diving, swimming kayaking, games, movies, dining, music, it's all in here, and if you are up for a little bit more shaking night and want to do some dancing, well, guess what, the place is so well located, that very quickly you can either get a taxi or if you have decided to rent a car, very soon you can be in either one of the east or west side of the island.
This place was build thinking in the love cay, everything that is nice can happen over here, since wedding, nice moon light with a bottle of wine by the beach outside of your bedroom, or in the palapa, or competing with your friend to see who jumps further, or just have a quiet time listening to music. reading a book, having a conversation, or if he plays the guitar, hear he playing, which was awesome in my last trip, a few weeks ago.

I will highly recommend this place with blind eyes, always
The very best one in Roatan

Room Tip: If you can, please stay at the bungalows, having morning coffees and walk in barefoot around the cay...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just back from a relaxing week with family at Barefoot Cay. The resort met and exceeded the needs of all of us, from grandmother to teenager. The staff were all friendly, attentive and helpful. We did the meal plan, and the food was good and included lots of options. Accommodations were happily made for a vegetarian and an onion allergy. Our 15-year old also ate very well. We stayed in the 2-BR ocean-front villa, which had amazing views, comfortable bedrooms, balinese showers, a full kitchen, and a living room that opened onto the patio where we spent most of our waking hours. I am very sensitive to bug bites and did get one or two during the week, but most of the family was not bothered at all. The staff works very hard to keep the sand flies in check. We enjoyed hanging out at the pool and enjoyed spa treatments when we were not diving. (See our separate review for Barefoot Divers.) The resort is small and we enjoyed interacting with other guests, all of whom also seemed to be very pleased with the level of service. Transportation to/from the airport was seamless, as staff picked us up personally and took care of everything, including taking us to the grocery store for a few items at the end of our first afternoon. We will definitely return to Barefoot Cay in the years to come.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Barefoot Cay is the crown jewel dive/vacation resort on the island of Roatan. It is a beautiful resort, private and very romantic. We spent most of our time in the spa, at the pool and beach combing. The staff is very kind and helpful; the villas are gorgeous. My husband likes to dive so he signed up for several dives offered by the resort. The dive shop is separated from the resort by a small canal, which is perfect. A small private ferry is there 24/7 to take you across the canal. Barefoot is well known for the best dive operation on Roatan. The dive shop is well stocked with safe/high end dive equipment and Padi certified instructors are available to take you out diving in the neatest dive boats. The food in the restaurant was excellent - I am picky so was always changing it up and found that the chef/kitchen was very accommodating. I celebrated my birthday while we were there and will always remember that special night. Barefoot Cay was everything we hoped it would be plus much, much more.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Barefoot Cay? Share your experiences!