“Amazing non-touristy paradise on the sensational Barefoot Cay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Cay

Save Saved
You added Barefoot Cay to your Saves list
Barefoot Cay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada PPal, French Harbour & Brick Bay, 33126, Honduras   |
Special Offer
$500 OFF
Ranked #4 of 41 hotels in Roatan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Amazing non-touristy paradise on the sensational Barefoot Cay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I just returned from an amazing weekend at the Barefoot Cay resort and it was beyond expectations. In order to sample the island, I tried two different locations. First, touristy Cancun-like West Bay (which is awesome snorkeling, beach and party life if that is what you are looking for) and this unique, private hideaway on its own little private cay.I stayed in one of the studio lofts above the dive center and it was gorgeous and had a large kitchen. I didn't use it though as I ate all meals at the restaurant which was excellent food and offered both American and local options. The staff was exceptional and so incredibly helpful, especially Raul who lined me up with a five hour island tour by Ray Anthony of Bay Island Adventures (he also does boat tours) which is highly recommended if you want to see the diverse culture and highlights of the island. The place is especially lovely for couples. I can't comment on the diving as I only snorkeled and it was the windiest weather in over 7 years per the hotel. However, if you want nice big beaches with a Mexico theme than you should stay in West Bay. If you want to relax, dive and get away from it all on your own private resort than stay here. I would highly recommend it as it is awesome!!!! Thanks everyone there for all your amazing help and I love that the owner gives back to local charity. I will add photos and more info too to my blog at : www.thirdeyemom.com.

Room Tip: I think they are all awesome as the lofts all have the same view and I didn't stay in the cabana...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Roma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We were in Barefoot Cay one week in dec 2012-jan 2013. The location is beautiful, and confirms all the good reviews it has. Diving is the best we have ever had, you can dive three times a day without any stress. Everyone that works in the resort is very professional and does his best to give you a service of extremely high level. If you are looking for "fiestas and movidas" in Roatan it's not the right address, but if you want to spend a few days far from the fatigues of the allday life in a little piece of paradise, Barefoot Cay is the right place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Barefoot.... the first thing I'll say is that it was just me and my wife and we don't have kids, heck..I'll just say it... we don't really even like kids! So a big positive for us is that it was ALL adults here... actual, adult, conversation over the entire Island. No screaming children in the pool!

I can't imagine that it would be a good place for kids cause there is just not much to do but hang out... it is not "exciting" there.

We stayed on the island... it is much quieter there and we are glad we were on that side. The dive shop is pretty loud although the rooms above it looked nice. We had a partial villa and LOVED the kitchen and living room, and table and chairs on the porch. Definitely better than just having a room.

We are actually not divers so we basically had the place to ourselves during the day when everyone was out diving.

You need to go to the Palapa to swim as its not great swimming right outside your villa... but the swimming around the palapa is great and the little walk is easy. If you want to snorkel you can get gear for your whole stay, and the quality of the gear is quite good. You can snorkel the inner reef area right off the palapa - it's not the best snorkeling we've ever seen but it was clear on most days and we saw a variety of fish, rays and eels that made it interesting. One woman saw an octopus while snorkeling there.

The food is great, although we cooked a lot of our own, it is clean and all the people are very nice. The staff was excellent, they genuinely wanted to help and keep us happy. They were certainly not going through the motions (as we've experienced elsewhere), they were actually interested in us and our well-being.

We each got a massage at the spa and they were the most unique massages we've ever had. My wife is a massage therapist and has had many massages from a variety of people, and she said that although it wasn't bad, hers was the opposite of gentle touch - not that it was too deep or anything, it was just very vigorous and not given with a gentle, caring touch. They were effective though, we both felt better after the massages.

We wouldn't recommend this place to families with small kids but would recommend it to folks like us who enjoy a quite stay and the company of adults.

Room Tip: if your going to dive the entire time the rooms on the mainland would be fine and much cheaper.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have been to other big name all-inclusive resorts and nothing can compare to the experience we had at Barefoot Cay! The entire staff at the resort and dive center were extremely professional and very accomodating. The resort is on a private island and is only accessible to guests and a very few select personnel. It is also monitored 24 hours a day by security. I think the total guests when fully booked is around 26 people. This allows for very personal service. The kitchen makes note of every guest's likes and dislikes. They learn your habits and accomodate you accordingly. They offer wonderful food choices for all 3 meals and the food is amazing! I am a very picky eater and can honestly say I was never unhappy with any meal.
The dive shop also has a very professional and knowledgeable staff. Andrea was with us most of the week and she was the best we have ever had the pleasure of diving with. She was in tune to the individual needs of each and every diver on board. I was 100% confident in her abilities to ensure we all had a fun and safe dive. If you want to relax in a beautiful, private paradise and be spoiled, Barefoot Cay is the place to go!!

Room Tip: Villas are worth every extra cent! You will more than get your money's worth!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I spent our 25th anniversary here, it was Absolutely first class, we stayed in a 2 bedroom Villa and had our own private beach. The staff and the Dive shop was top notch, the food was every bit amazing. There is a max of 26 guests so you feel like you have the island to yourself. It's a perfect place to relax and just forget about everything else.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Everything about this trip was unforgettable. We stayed in the lofts above the dive shop and we loved it. The room was large, comfortable, great balcony, and they thought of every detail. The staff was friendly, attentive, and informative. The atmosphere was beautiful and relaxing. . Although we had not planned to get our open water certification, we decided to do it last minute. Our instructor Irma was the best- great instructor, professional, and fun - could not have had a better person to learn from. Love her!! This trip was one of most amazing experiences we've ever had. We feel really lucky to have found this place... hopefully we'll be able to save up so we can go back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed one night in the villa and the rest of the time we stayed at the lofts. We actually liked...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We decided to dive while on our Western Caribbean cruise. We picked Barefoot Cay in advance after checking the scuba boards. Let me just say that this place is awesome and rocks big time! Diving was great; prices were reasonable; dive guides (Emma) were incredibly knowledgeable and friendly; Safety was emphasized; dive rigs were set up before the dives - then they helped us into our BCs and into the water- then they broke down our rigs and cleaned them in their fresh water tanks... It was incredibly relaxing; incredibly beautiful; and incredibly pleasant.... The people at Barefoot Cay are the real deal... Boats were the perfect size; number of divers was small so we got lots of personal attention; dive briefings were excellent... They even arranged our transportation from the cruise ship to the resort and then back again; all the while assuring us that we would have no trouble getting back to the boat in time and having a little time to shop (for my wife)... Coral reefs are gorgeous and lots and lots of marine life (saw a squid for the first time just scooting along)... cool cool cool... Shout out to my Barefoot Cay peeps.... This was one of the best diving trips i have ever taken...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barefoot Cay? Share your experiences!