“Unforgettable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Cay

Save Saved
You added Barefoot Cay to your Saves list
Barefoot Cay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada PPal, French Harbour & Brick Bay, 33126, Honduras   |
Special Offer
$500 OFF
Ranked #4 of 41 hotels in Roatan
Phoenix, Arizona
“Unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Everything about this trip was unforgettable. We stayed in the lofts above the dive shop and we loved it. The room was large, comfortable, great balcony, and they thought of every detail. The staff was friendly, attentive, and informative. The atmosphere was beautiful and relaxing. . Although we had not planned to get our open water certification, we decided to do it last minute. Our instructor Irma was the best- great instructor, professional, and fun - could not have had a better person to learn from. Love her!! This trip was one of most amazing experiences we've ever had. We feel really lucky to have found this place... hopefully we'll be able to save up so we can go back soon!

Room Tip: We stayed one night in the villa and the rest of the time we stayed at the lofts. We actually liked...

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We decided to dive while on our Western Caribbean cruise. We picked Barefoot Cay in advance after checking the scuba boards. Let me just say that this place is awesome and rocks big time! Diving was great; prices were reasonable; dive guides (Emma) were incredibly knowledgeable and friendly; Safety was emphasized; dive rigs were set up before the dives - then they helped us into our BCs and into the water- then they broke down our rigs and cleaned them in their fresh water tanks... It was incredibly relaxing; incredibly beautiful; and incredibly pleasant.... The people at Barefoot Cay are the real deal... Boats were the perfect size; number of divers was small so we got lots of personal attention; dive briefings were excellent... They even arranged our transportation from the cruise ship to the resort and then back again; all the while assuring us that we would have no trouble getting back to the boat in time and having a little time to shop (for my wife)... Coral reefs are gorgeous and lots and lots of marine life (saw a squid for the first time just scooting along)... cool cool cool... Shout out to my Barefoot Cay peeps.... This was one of the best diving trips i have ever taken...

Mary Esther
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was my only chance to dive while on my cruise and am I glad I picked this place. The Staff is amazing. Their knowledge and helpfulness made me feel comfortable immediately. Great dives and the facility was immaculate. I had an issue with my credit card which they didnt let become an issue for me. They are all super friendly and I couldnt have asked for a better staff. Thank you sooo much Irma, you saved my trip, you rock! Kyle thanks for your patience, you're a great DM. All the rest of the staff who I had the pleasure to interact with, my great thanks.
If anyone has a choice to make to dive Isla Roatan, you will do yourself a big favor by choosing Barefoot Diver. Im glad I did
Mike N

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Brasilia, DF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I have been to the place 3 or 4 times. We love the relaxed nature of the place and the diving (and dive team) cannot be beat.

The owner -- Melisse -- always greets guests (when she is in town) and makes you feel a part of the family.

The rooms are comfortable and pleasant. The villas have a wonderful view of the beach. You almost feel as if you are the only one there.

The place is small -- I think it only handles 75 people -- but never ever feels crowded. It is also away from the West End scene. So if relaxing (and great scuba diving) are at the top of your list, this is the place.

Room Tip: The rooms over the dive shop -- on the land side, not on cay -- are extremely comfortable and have a...
Waynesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This trip was the best vacation my husband and I have ever taken! We've been diving for 20 years and Barefoot Cay is truly a paradise. Every detail was perfect. Everything has been meticulously planned...accommodations are exquisite, the food is delicious, the service is superb, the diving is awesome. The dive shop is well organized and all the dive staff are wonderful. I highly recommend Barefoot Cay to anyone who wants a vacation in paradise!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Barefoot Caye for our 20th Anniversary in Oct. we had a great time and the service was fantastic from the first email to after check out. We had so much fun we extended 4additional nights and plan to go back next year.

It's very small resort that only holds 26 people at full capacity so if you're looking for a hotel where all the employees will know who you are and remember what you like and don't like....this is the place! The grounds are beautifully kept and this is the only small resort I've seen operate like the big resorts where they're constantly doing ground maintenance from early in the morning all the way through the day.... Trimmming the grass, raking the sand, arranging flowers on tables every day from their own gardens etc etc. the attention to detail at the property is excellent. The food is amazing and they are very accommodating if you don't care for the meal as they're serving it. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms were thought out extremely well.

The shipping company just up the shoreline is a bit of an eyesore but the view looking out at the ocean and the property itself more than make up for it.

If you're a diver you'll have a great time! The employees are amazing. They're very knowledgable about the sites and sealife and won't let you lift a finger. It was one of the first times we saw almost everything on the fish card the sell in the hotel gift shop.

The hotel includes tips automatically at check out which is very convenient. You can adjust up or down or even request a particular employee get more. Something to note is that they imply the tips are for everything when in fact the dive shop is not included. I would have thought if you bought the dive package it would be but in reading the check out paperwork more careful....atnthe airport we found out it wasn't. So......be sure to add it on before you leave so you don't need to send it later and pay a surcharge via PayPal like we did to send it afterwards.

Looking forward to next year already

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice but I would be least likely to recommend the master bedroom because t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I spent the second leg of our anniversary trip here at Barefoot Cay. We had split our stay between two hotels (see other reviews) saving what we hoped was the best for last. While staying at our first accommodations, we happened to drive by the entrance to Barefoot. Just a brief warning, the Cay does not show well from the main road. This turned out to be an example of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Once it was time to start our stay there, everything was absolutely fantastic. The cay is meticulously maintained and attended to by an amazingly friendly staff. The food was great and the kitchen is very very flexible. The dive shop was first rate. We had one of the beach bungalows, which I absolutely recommend. It was perfect. I really couldn't have asked for any better. It's pretty easy to catch a cheap cab from the main road to anywhere else on the Island you may want to go. If you're a couple, going to Roatan, staying here is a must.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barefoot Cay? Share your experiences!