“Perfect Barefoot Cay vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barefoot Cay

You added Barefoot Cay to your Saves list
Barefoot Cay
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera Pavimentada PPal, French Harbour & Brick Bay, 33126, Honduras   |
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Waynesville, North Carolina
“Perfect Barefoot Cay vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This trip was the best vacation my husband and I have ever taken! We've been diving for 20 years and Barefoot Cay is truly a paradise. Every detail was perfect. Everything has been meticulously planned...accommodations are exquisite, the food is delicious, the service is superb, the diving is awesome. The dive shop is well organized and all the dive staff are wonderful. I highly recommend Barefoot Cay to anyone who wants a vacation in paradise!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Barefoot Caye for our 20th Anniversary in Oct. we had a great time and the service was fantastic from the first email to after check out. We had so much fun we extended 4additional nights and plan to go back next year.

It's very small resort that only holds 26 people at full capacity so if you're looking for a hotel where all the employees will know who you are and remember what you like and don't like....this is the place! The grounds are beautifully kept and this is the only small resort I've seen operate like the big resorts where they're constantly doing ground maintenance from early in the morning all the way through the day.... Trimmming the grass, raking the sand, arranging flowers on tables every day from their own gardens etc etc. the attention to detail at the property is excellent. The food is amazing and they are very accommodating if you don't care for the meal as they're serving it. The beds are super comfortable and the rooms were thought out extremely well.

The shipping company just up the shoreline is a bit of an eyesore but the view looking out at the ocean and the property itself more than make up for it.

If you're a diver you'll have a great time! The employees are amazing. They're very knowledgable about the sites and sealife and won't let you lift a finger. It was one of the first times we saw almost everything on the fish card the sell in the hotel gift shop.

The hotel includes tips automatically at check out which is very convenient. You can adjust up or down or even request a particular employee get more. Something to note is that they imply the tips are for everything when in fact the dive shop is not included. I would have thought if you bought the dive package it would be but in reading the check out paperwork more careful....atnthe airport we found out it wasn't. So......be sure to add it on before you leave so you don't need to send it later and pay a surcharge via PayPal like we did to send it afterwards.

Looking forward to next year already

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice but I would be least likely to recommend the master bedroom because t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My wife and I spent the second leg of our anniversary trip here at Barefoot Cay. We had split our stay between two hotels (see other reviews) saving what we hoped was the best for last. While staying at our first accommodations, we happened to drive by the entrance to Barefoot. Just a brief warning, the Cay does not show well from the main road. This turned out to be an example of "don't judge a book by it's cover." Once it was time to start our stay there, everything was absolutely fantastic. The cay is meticulously maintained and attended to by an amazingly friendly staff. The food was great and the kitchen is very very flexible. The dive shop was first rate. We had one of the beach bungalows, which I absolutely recommend. It was perfect. I really couldn't have asked for any better. It's pretty easy to catch a cheap cab from the main road to anywhere else on the Island you may want to go. If you're a couple, going to Roatan, staying here is a must.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent a week in July 2012 diving with friends and our stay at Barefoot Cay was just perfect. The staff are incredibly friendly and couldn't be more accommodating and the dive operation was first class. I've dived all over the world and these guys are among the best I've seen, just the right balance of a relaxed approach without compromising at all on safety or professionalism.

The reefs are of course superb, especially the corals, and there are plenty of options on the island for night life if you haven't exhausted yourself with three dives in a day!

Keep up the hard work Doug & the team - it is definitely working!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I came to Barefoot Cay after finding it online. Yes, I had seen the pictures and reviews and that is why I chose to feature the Cay. I did not, however, expect it to be so outstanding! From the people to the scenery to the food to the diving, everything was above and beyond traditional resort standards.

First off, I stayed in one of the best accommodations I have ever been in. I was in a beach bungalow called Zani, and it was perfectly clean, cute and comfortable. The Balinese showers were a wonderful perk, too! Might I add I slept like a baby on the bed. Traveling around for work I have slept on some very uncomfortable beds; this bed I melted into at the end of the day. Couldn't have been better!

Throughout the stay we met several employees of the resort and every single one addressed me personally and with a genuine smile. The place really makes sure that you are always comfortable and feel at home. I felt like part of the family!

I had never been diving before, and we took the discover scuba course as we were limited on time. It was perfect for our needs, and our guide, Irma, was simply amazing. She made us feel extremely comfortable (despite my being apprehensive about the experience). It was something that I HAVE to do again! It was such a great experience on so many levels. Thank you Irma!

The food at Barefoot was exceptional as well. My favorite meal was a breakfast consisting of shrimp, grits and avocado. I'm open to trying new things and this was a DELICIOUS meal!! Fresh, and cooked to perfection.

I will most definitely return to Barefoot when I am not working. I literally cannot think of one thing that I would change. I had a massage on their gorgeous palapa during sunset - THAT I recommend 100%!

Overall, Barefoot is THE place to stay if you're looking for a perfect Roatan getaway. The staff simply makes it too easy to enjoy yourself. They go out of their way to ensure that this resort is perfect for guests in every aspect, and it certainly shows.

Thank you Barefoot! I miss you already!

Room Tip: Every room continuously blew me away!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Northglenn, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have traveled to Roatan many times and stayed at all of the popular resorts. I’ve always been disappointed by something each trip. I keep going back because Roatan is a special place.

We just returned from our first trip to Barefoot Cay (9/22-29/12). It was perfect! The beachfront villas were beautiful. The staff keeps the entire property very clean and they spray to control the no-see-ums everyday and even rake the sand and the shoreline to clean up any debris which may wash ashore.

The food was wonderful, and special requests were handled with ease. The wait staff was fantastic and very attentive. Special thanks to our waiter Dennis who constantly attended to our group.

The resort manager Mel was available daily and was very involved with all aspects of our stay and made sure that everything was perfect each day.

The dive operation, Barefoot Divers was wonderful. The staff is generally on the young side but they work very hard to make the diving experience top notch. Doug the dive manager was their each day and spoke to our group daily to make sure our trip was going well and to make suggestions on dive sites and critters which could be found at each site. Our dive master Heather was fantastic, fun to dive with and very attentive.

Barefoot Cay will not disappoint!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and I honeymooned here. We stayed in a bungalow, the one closest to the palapa (Azul). My biggest fear leading up to the trip was how close the 2 bungalows are to each other. I was concerned this would not give us the privacy we were looking for. This turned out to not be a problem at all. The wind coming from the water masks any sounds you may hear, the other aspect is there are a few small shrubs/trees separating the 2 bungalow sections. It is the closest you will come to a private beach on the Carribean for the price.

-The best thing about Honeymooning at Barefoot is the privacy & food. The food was amazing, breakfast/ dinners are the best. Lunch is ok, but it also costs 1/3 of dinner. The chef is excellent. Gourmet dinner every night in a private carribean beach setting.

-I also strongly suggest snorkeling from a guided boat and also at the palapa. We saw a 3.5-4' Baracuda off the palapa swimming around the small sunken ship. Snorkeling on a guided boat trip (possibly with others who are doing Scuba) gives awesome sights of the barrier reef. Talk to the Barefoot Dive Shop for this, it is either free or very small fee. Take your free issued barefoot cay snorkeling gear to West Bay, here you will find TONS of beautiful fish in about 2-5 feet of water.

-I also suggest getting the Romance Package for couples. The 1 hour couples massage on the palapa was awesome.

-Explore Roatan! The staff works hard, ask them for suggested activities and they will book the activity and the cab for you, then print out an activity slip. Barefoot will also tell you what your cab fare should be, cabs in Roatan are expensive but Barefoot uses a cab company with air conditioning. Most cabs in Roatan do not have A/C.

-There is always something to do if you get bored on the Cay. If you swing by the West End or West Bay you will find large crowds of people and typical touristy things to do.

*All-in-all we had the Honeymoon of a lifetime at Barefoot. Including air fare & $1K spending cash outside the resort we spent just under $5k. A comparable Beliz honeymoon would have cost us $8-10K easy. & still would not have had the privacy Barefoot offers.

We took advantage of many things the island had to offer outside of the resort. Swimming with dolphins at Anthoney's Key, Zip lining & a tour and Gumbalimba park, drinks & dinner in West End at The Lighthouse restaurant. Hitting up Gio's in French Bay is also a must.

Room Tip: Azul was awesome, however I'm sure the other Bungelow is just as awesome. The a/c in Azul works...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Barefoot Cay? Share your experiences!