My wife and I recently took advantage of Paya Bay's "two for one" special. Our stay was full of likes & dislikes!
Paya Bay is on the remote East End of Roatan away from the built-up areas of the island. The property is very natural and almost appears untouched. The Cliffside Rooms (I highly recommend Room #4) hang over the crashing sea. Although the room was somewhat dated the constant breezes, sounds of waves crashing and magnificent views (sea, sunrise/sunset & star) were beyond magnificent.
The size of the property made it feel like you had the entire place to yourself. Natural trails/pathways led to Bliss Beach, Buccaneer Landing, endless views and nooks & crannies.
During our stay there were only approximately ten other guests. Some kept to themselves but most enjoyed the company of each other on the beach, while snorkeling, taking island tours and during meals. Either way you never felt over crowed or left out. During the final nights guests shared their photos via a makeshift (white bed sheet hanging on the dining room wall) slide presentation. The experience led to a bond and discussions involving future travels. Sunday evening’s wine and cheese was a nice touch and a great way to meet other guest.
Paya Bay offers two free snorkeling trips per day (9:30 AM & 2:30 PM). Tom is a great guide and character making each trip an exciting experience. We have traveled & snorkeled the Caribbean but the reef off Roatan is tops. I highly recommend taking the optional day trip to Pigeon Cay.
Onion Rings – Simply the best. Sounds a bit out of place but Paya Bay’s onion rings are out of this world!!!!
Food was a major disappointment. Breakfast - Fine with a wide variety but service was slow. Lunch – Wide variety but often overcooked and salty. Service was slow. Dinner – Two specials every night. Some nights dinner was served buffet or family style. If you did not like what was being served you had the option of ordering off the menu but it appeared as if the staff did not encourage this option. Like other meals dinner service was slow and often over cooked and salty. On many occasions (breakfast, lunch & dinner) many items on the menu were not available. After our stay we learned that that regular cook was on vacation and her sister, who is not a cook, was filling in. Hopefully this explained why the food was so disappointing.
Alcohol Drinks – Expensive and week. Luckily Paya Bay did not mind if you BYOB. Before arriving at Paya Bay ask your driver (Jose) to stop at the supermarket. Buy some wine, beer & rum and mix your own drinks.
Bugs – Not holding Paya Bay at fault. Bugs (Sand Fleas - “No-See-Ums” & Mosquitoes) of Roatan are vicious and pack a wicked bite. Always wear lots of bug spray, sun screen and buy “No-See-Um” soap from the local soap shop. Avoid wearing perfume or using sweet smelling soaps/shampoo.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Paya Bay. If Paya Bay offered the “two for one special” again and our newly found friends were planning to return we too would return. I would give Paya Bay’s atmosphere 4-stars but Food only 1-star. If the food was better I would return without a doubt and give Paya Bay an overall rating of 4-stars!
- Also Known As:
- Paya Bay Hotel Roatan
- Paya Bay Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Hotel
- Paya Bay Beach Dive Resort
- Paya Bay Resort Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paya Bay Beach Resort is Roatan's Ultimate Escape. Located on the pristine east end, it is Roatan's premier boutique hotel. Perched atop a bluff with private beaches on each side, Paya Bay features 10 uniquely designed rooms and an amazing restaurant. Paya Bay's on-site dive operation, Dive Roatan, specializes in underwater tours and training for one to ten divers. Paya Bay also offers: flats fishing, boat tours, hiking and of course relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com and Otel so you can book your Paya Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.