“Beautiful Wedding/Honeymoon Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Palmetto Bay Plantation

You added Palmetto Bay Plantation to your Saves list
Palmetto Bay Plantation
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Ms Vecinal, Palmetto Bay, Crawfish Rock, IB3100, Honduras   |
Ranked #36 of 41 Hotels in Roatan
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful Wedding/Honeymoon Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We came here for a wedding and amazed at the facility, location and fabulous staff. We arrived at the Roatan, Honduras port, via Cruse ship. The half hour drive up the bumpy winding dirt road was absolutely worth it. This resort itself is beautiful and is in a beautiful location. Besides the separate cabins they have a central building, next to the pool, were people meet and relax for dinner or drinks at the bar. The Cabin used by the wedding couple was above and beyond anything I thought I would find. It had a huge deck off the front with a hammock, facing the ocean. Directly inside, though the movable glass doors, was the open living room and kitchen, which boasts stainless steel appliances. There were two bedrooms, one king and two singles and a fabulously huge bathroom and shower.

The wedding itself was wonderful. The staff had laid out palms with conch shells to make an aisle up to the beach pergola. The Caribbean ocean made for a stunning back drop. Although, the location and amenities were amazing what really sold me (my husband and I now plan to spend a week there next winter) was the staff. Every one of them were very friendly and helpful, always ready to lend a hand. They almost seemed to know what you wanted before you did.

I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a romantic, off the beaten track, get away.

One final thing, remember to bring bug spray. As a tender skinned northerner I got my fair share of sand fly bites.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2011

We rented a villa privately, that the local manager forgot to clean. Whilst apologetic about it & we did receive a small credit post our trip for this inconvenience, it took a shine off the excitement of our arrival. Even after the cleaning, our villa was in terrible condition; we saw others that were let thru the hotel & they looked OK, but a few other couples we met & chatted with said that the hotel never came for room service.

Best part of the trip : The diving was really good; super easy & straight off the jetty. Subway Sports operated the diving & their team were fabulous. They made the resort worthwhile for us & were very diligent about all safety & equipment. I loved them!

Food wise: thank god there are kitchens in the villa & thank god we rented a car to get to the supermarket. Because the food in the resort is truly terrible. With such a remote & dangerous road in/out of the more populated areas; it would be so wonderful to not do the cooking at the villa if one desired & wander down to a delicious local seafood grill instead of driving out. The liquors were not top shelf either, but the pricing was. To show you how disinterested the staff & management are about you as a guest/tourist, the bar was closed at 11pm on New Years Eve!!!! So they could go off - and after the big dinner that we had decided to stay for was cancelled at the last moment. My husband had a pasta dish that was made with salsa from a jar. As a chef, it's the sort of thing one notices. Every person we chatted to at the resort mentioned this dish & in general the poor quality food.
There were also many issues with the billing chits you get from the bar. It's that Third World paper triplicate thing. We mostly provided our own alcohol, but sometimes we had a drink with other people etc. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS! And note how you paid if paying in cash. We had to debate fiercely our only dinner receipt!! Management just sits at the bar & doesn't check in with you to make sure you are happy or enjoying yourself. Spa was dirty & luckily got drained whilst we were there, as it looked hideous. Small pool but the deck & the resort great room are really lovely. Such a shame, could have been a wonderful spot to hang out & meet people & enjoy the Honduran life for a bit. I wouldn't go back to this resort very sadly. I'm a huge fan of the rustic - even rustic food - but not poorly treated & over charged as guests

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2011

Palmetto Bay Plantation is an excellent place to rest, relax, read and think in a secluded tropical setting. Occaisional diving is available but be aware the hotel is located on the windward (north) side of the island so the weather can be unpredictable during the rainy season (November through February), causing poor visibility after a storm, and no diving during a storm. Palmetto Bay is a great place to relax but I would not recommend it for diving. I would try a location on the leaward side of the island next.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

Palmetto is a charming, relaxed hotel. Always welcoming, it is somewhere you wish to return to time and time again. Set in beautiful gardens with lovely views across the beach to the reef - a true caribbean experience. There is a delightful restaurant with nice staff and some of the best food on the island - wonderful salads, seafood and pasta. There are Lunch Specials and at night the odd Happy Hour for cocktails and fun events like Super Bowl evenings or Garifuna dancing and supper on Friday nights. It's a place to restore your batteries.
I particularly like Palmetto for its seclusion but if you want night life and bars then this is not the place for you.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My husband and I had our wedding at Palmetto Bay in December 2010. Cecilia Mendez-Chamer was an excellent planner! She was very detail-oriented and made sure that all of our requests were met. With having a destination wedding, I was worried that it would not measure up to my expectations but it was better than we could have envisioned! The photographer, La Cultura Band, garifuna dancers, fire Paul and familiy were AMAZING! The wedding was so much fun! We could not have asked for anything more. All of the staff and service were excellent - also meeting all of our needs and then some! The villas were spacious and accomodated our very large group well. We remained at the resort for our honeymoon and enjoyed the scenery and excursions PBP provides - SCUBA, island tour, trip to West End and West Bay, etc. The SCUBA staff, tour guides and drivers were so helpful and knowledgeable. It was an excellent experience overall!! We will be returning in the future......with LOTS of bug spray!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

I recently stayed in Palmetto Bay Plantation with my family (my husband and
two girls) and I must say I had an incredible vacation, beach was clean and
beautiful, restaurant staff was great (we even got to dance with them) and
the balinese type villas was really comfortable,

It was our dive vacation, our two daughter was certified with the onsite
dive shop, the instructors was just amazing, this was the highlight of their
trip.

All in all this was a great vacation and I highly recommend this resort and
Roatan as a great destination.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Kelowna, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2011

Our arrival was met with a free drink, ( the ONLY free thing we received ) and it went down hill from there.
We rented one of the beachfront Villas. I have travelled Central America many time and am familiar with their lazy cleaning programs, but when your paying three thousand dollars for ten days of accommodations you would expect a much better product. From bats living in the walls to some type of rodent poop on most flat surfaces, our unit was under maintained. Most of our kitchen appliances were unusable, the propane ran out many times,( possible hole in hose), and there was a lack of cooking utensils. There were no forks at all.
It took two days for the hot water to be noticeable, and you could reach trough our front louvers and unlock our unit even if you had arms like popeye.
It is very difficult to move around the island from here, and many of the taxis don't even want to drive the road at night unless payed a premium, which is added to an already inflated pricing structure that I have never seen in Central America before.
You MUST have a rental car!
The beach is shallow and full of sea grass that if not tended to daily piles up rapidly on the sand.
The snorkelling is ok but nothing like in west bay which is where I think I would recommend staying because of location and cost.
I want to add that in our group, which was 20 - 25 adults, almost every one had debilitating and immobilizing diarrhea for at least two days of our stay. It seemed to get passed around like a Norwalk virus. Not very fun to have when you are out in the middle of nowhere with no options for food or even a gatorade.
On a final note, on our return flights home we talked with other groups who had travelled Roatan and had been healthy until staying at this resort, where they too experienced the wonders of what one can only describe as soup bottom.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Palmetto Bay Plantation? Share your experiences!