“Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Palmetto Bay

You added The Resort at Palmetto Bay to your Saves list
The Resort at Palmetto Bay
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   | Carretera Ms Vecinal, Palmetto Bay, Crawfish Rock, IB3100, Honduras   |
Ranked #39 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Plano, Texas
“Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I came to Palmetto Bay Plantation after having some problems at home with family.

I really needed a quiet and luxurious vacation to think about my future, so I decided to come to vacation. I don't regret a minute of making this decision.

Once I arrived at airport shuttle was there, driver stopped at supermarket, got my supplies (beer, rum and some snacks) drove the scenic ride to the resort, and once I got there I was greeted with a nice cold rum punch. Signed up for my dives which I pre booked and enjoyed the rest of my stay which was diving in the mornings and sitting on the beach the rest of the afternoons.

One day I hired a guide to see the western part of the island but in the end I decided I was glad to sit on the beach and read my book.

Food was good, and the vacation was perfect for what I wanted.

Villa was nicely appointed and housekeeping did a great job daily.

Cant wait to go back next year!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I came to Roatan and Palmetto Bay with my boyfriend during our travels through Central America. After backpacking around we felt like taking a breath from travelling around and hostels. This was the perfect place to do that. We loved the privacy and private beaches! Because it was scheduled away from town, we felt no disturbance from the tourism. We felt one with nature by walking on the beach, enjoying the sunrise and sunset, finding peaceful places. We really liked the beach front house with the pool. The service was good: nice people and we felt very welcome. They tried to make us feel comfortable, showed us local customs and we laughed a lot. The food was very good: all was fresh and local dishes. Still dreaming about the food :) Would love to come back!

Room Tip: the front beach house is great!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

My family and I enjoyed our trip to Roatan and the friendly staff and environment but the most out of all the Beach resort at palmetto bay.

It is absolute paradise. The food is to die for, the activities are endless and the scenery is perfect. I'd say it is one of the best resort in the Caribbean!
We'll definitely be back next year with more family!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Magog, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Satisfaction is a relative concept... It all depends on what you are seeking for! Personnaly, I have be charmed by the environment... a lovely tiny resort, nested in the jungle. I had the impression of being directly on Gilligan's island. The houses are lovely in there Balian style and ours, The Coconut Groves, was decorated with style and refinement. It was missing some amenities in the kitchen, but the resort made good efforts to provide us with what was missing in an efficient manner. As we are divers, we appreciated the fact that is was secluded, relax and small... However, the resort would gain to update a few things, like the Wi-Fi accecibility, and I have to say that the restaurent had often a lack of products... it was very irregular. The big highlight was the Barefoot Dive Team and their irreproachable service!!! They are absolutly amazing and they make sure you are totally satisfied. A huge THANK YOU to Erika, Ken, Edwen, Clyde and Willy for the perfect dive they kindlly offered us! That was, far ahead, the best dive experience we had in our 50 dives experience so far!!!!
First for the dive team, but also for the setting of the place that makes you drop the boat and be on your house deck or in your personnal pool in a few steps... A dive in-dive out concept... I loved!!!!
The big draw back was the mosquitos! We returned at home with lovelly dive memories, but we will remain a few week with skin dammage bad souvenirs! I think we have choosen the whorst periode of the year... so remember... avoid November if you choose to go there!
So... if you are not looking for a cristal clean buzy and flashy resort, and you prefere a peacefull and typical dive experience, Palmetto Bay Plantation, is absolutly a charm to discover in the dry season!

Room Tip: Coconut Grove as the best situation for divers!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

For the $$$ paid, I should have got more. Instead it was more like a bad camping trip! The only bonus was the bar and serving staff and Marilyn were very accommodating. The rest !
Prepare yourself peeps, if you go there you WILL be eaten alive!!

• Stayed October 2013
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The staff is very pleasant but the facility needs some extra effort when it comes to maintenance.
We were there for 7 days and only had hot water for 2 evenings. It took three requests to get it looked at and then it was only hot for 2 eves. It took a day to get the light bulb in our main living area changed. The light on the deck was burned
out the entire time.
The cleaning staff were fine not super thorough but ok.
The menu was another area that was mystifying. They had about 10 entres but every night one or two things would be unavailable. We ordered the chicken three times and it was different all three times. It depended on who was in the kitchen. The salmon was overcooked most every time we ordered it. They were very good at fish dishes. But there were only a few of those. The desserts were the same for the entire week. There were only three choices so that was sad. The daily special was the same twice. They did do one special dinner for us with fresh flowers and candles. The staff really tried to make it a special week for us. They were very attentive.
Last of all the bugs. We were
devoured by sand flies and Mosquitos. We tried oil and off but they wouldn't be deterred. If you sprayed oil on every 15 mins it helped but as soon as it soaked in you were eaten again. We didn't spend time on the beach or in the water (too much reed grass). We spent it in our villa or in our deck which had no view. The bites blistered and were very itchy.
We went there to dive (no bugs underwater:)) and found barefoot divers a first rate shop. I have over 65 dives and they are the best shop yet. Highly recommend them. They even gave us a print out of our dives to take home.

• Stayed November 2013
Des Plaines, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

This place can set you up with whatever you want on the island, albeit with a surcharge, but my wife and I wanted to start our honeymoon because of the private bungalows, secluded location, and it was a really nice place. The staff our friendly, one of the waiters even set up 2 special dinners for my wife and I, one on the beach and one in their gazebo at the end of the dock. He also decorated it with fresh flowers and was very accommodating.

Customer service was great and they worked with us on our own personalized package.

Mosquitoes are sand flies are bad here, but just be careful and make sure you buy Cactus Juice. That will protect you fine. You don't want the sand fly bites.

A little pricier than other places we stayed, we also stayed at Paradise Lost on the West End, Utila for a few days, and Lost Moose on the East End. But the price was fine as the bungalows are truly luxurious. Very very beautiful

Would recommend to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple