“the perfeact getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Palmetto Bay

You added The Resort at Palmetto Bay to your Saves list
The Resort at Palmetto Bay
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   | Carretera Ms Vecinal, Palmetto Bay, Crawfish Rock, IB3100, Honduras   |
Ranked #39 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“the perfeact getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

From the moment we got there we till the minute we left we was treated like king and queens.
A group of us 15 all together was there for a week. Everything was what we expected and more we had a great time and was treated like royal.
There was a special at the hotel ALL INCLUDED , even alcohol, well mostly ocal beers and rum. I must that the bar and Restaurant staff was always very attented. The food was great and always fresh. But, the one thing I will remember about Palmetto is the service and attention that we got during out stay there. The bugs was kind of bad but, we was told before hand and took what we needed in order not to be bugged. Really the bugs are all over the Island someplaces worst than others, And some days worst than others as well.

Want to thank all the staff at palmetto for a wonderful vacation, I do recommend Palmetto Bay Plantation for anyone looking peace and quiet and home away from home HOLIDAY.

Room Tip: cabana b4 is very big, has nice view and a fully loaded kichen .
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
SPS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

My experience at Palmetto Bay was terrible. As soon as I got there the rooms weren´t ready, and they told us they would take care of our bags and take them to our rooms as soon as they were ready. We got there around 10:30 am and they gave us our rooms at 4:30 pm. In the meantime we ate ( the FOOD was plain, simple and NOT tasty at all- the special of the day was repeated the 3 days we were there *fajitas*) When they finally gave us the key to our rooms, I went to search for my cellphone (since I had left it in my bag so that it wouldn´t get wet or full of sand).. to my surprise, my cellphone wasn´t in my bag, it had been STOLEN. We immiediately reported it to the person in charge and didn´t give me a response until 2 days after. They said they would respond for my cellphone, but its been around a month since the incident and thier legal department hasn´t contacted me to give me a final response.
Another one of my friends complianed that he found his bag OPENED, for fortunately for him, they didn´t steal anything.
The food there is BAD, the service is TERRIBLE, only the guys at the bar were nice, and they close the bar at 9, the POOL IS THE WORSE ONE IVE EVER SEEN.. the water seems GREEN. The beach was ALL filled of SEAWEEED, and the beach was really dirty.
My friends and I wanted to save a couple of dollars, but what we saved WASN´T WORTH LOSING A CELLPHONE, A TERRIBLE SERVICE, BAD FOOD, A HORRIBLE BEACH AND THE INSECURITY WE FELT. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AT ALL. OHHH and the terrace of all the rooms are FILLED WITH BATS!!! ITS WAAYY TO CREEPY.. And at night there is ABSOLUTELY NO LIGHTS to lead people to their rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
marketingPBP, Guest Relations Manager at The Resort at Palmetto Bay, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We strive to meet each of our guests expectations and needs. We do believe that this incident was an isolated one but have taken measures to ensure that it is not repeated. We have thousands of guests stay with us each year and they leave utterly thrilled with the time they have had. It is our goal and desire to have happy guests and we are proud to say that is our reputation.
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I decided to visit Roatan for our 1-year anniversary and split our lodging among a couple of different venues. Palmetto Bay was our first stop for three nights.

Location:
Palmetto Bay is in a pretty secluded and less developed are of Roatan. This is both a good and a bad thing. On one side of the coin, you are away from the hustle and bustle of civilzation and days are very tranquil. The other side of that coin is that the rest of the island is not readily accessible. While it's nice they have a dive shop and restaurant on site, it's a respectable trip (at $15 a pop) in their van on winding dirt roads to reach even the closest civilization (about 20 minutes).

Grounds/Facilities:
The grounds are beautifully kept with a nice jungle rustic decor. The beach side is plentiful with a enjoyable Pallapa stretching off the beach. The food was acceptably priced and modestly good, but not great. There's no gym or anything like that, and the pool is modest as well. I can't speak for the dive shop because it's a small shop that's often vacant/closed if they have a trip scheduled. As it were, we were never able to set up any activities with them, so it's recommended to do that in advance. The real killer here is the bugs. The sand fleas/flies are merciless. I think in their green efforts, they attempt to avoid spraying the grounds. Mosquitoes can be quite a menace as well. This is to be expected if you stay on the jungle coast. During the offseason they offer lots of incentives to mainland Hondurans to vacation there or else it is completely dead. You'll often see large families weekend there.

Lodging:
The room was spacious and way more than we needed. It was a gorgeous building with many modern amenities. It's important to note that AC is an extra $40/day surcharge. It's possible to manage without it, but depends on the time of year.

Overall, I'd say Palmetto is a nice find at an affordable price. I wouldn't promote it as a romantic getaway. The bug problem hinders the prospect of romance. This would be a nice place to go with several friends however.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
tucson,az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just returned from a fantastic stay at Palmetto Bay Planation-9/1/12-9/8/12. Treated to a huge 'bouganvillea' unit for just my husband and myself. Nicely appointed 3 bed, 2 bath unit and can certainly see all the potential for great friends and family times! We headquartered ourselves (when not in the water or at the restuarant) in the masterbedroom suite--clean and comfy. Had it been another time of year I know we would have made more use of the fabulous design features that cool the rooms via the high ceilings, numerous shutters and sliding doors opening to the deck, but coming from a long, hot summer in Arizona we enjoyed the bedroom air conditioning.

Now, the staff: Eric, Ivan, Tricia, Darren, Mario, Marilyn, Maritza, Emily, Cecilia--all superb. Enjoyed fresh fish at leash twice a day, fresh fruit, Honduran style breakfast, fruit juices,great drinks from the bar! What more can a couple of old 'boomers' like ourselves hope for?! Low season, and had one unbelieveable evening where Palmetto may have been down to about 4 guests (before a new and nice small group of Honduran families checked in), and that was the night Eric arranged a splendid romantic dinner on the beach---yes, table for two set up on the beach with tiki torches, hibiscus, heart drawn in sand. You can't make this stuff up! Thank you Eric for a special 12th anniversary dinner we shall long remember. If you opt for this special treat you can order anything from a lovely dinner menu--including the lobster!

Beach is lovely, yes, the bugs bite but bring your 'OFF' and we found that worked very well.....sit on a beach lounge and not in the sand (with 'bug dope' of your choice) and you'll survive with a few welts to show the folks at home. My dearest friend thought to include little beach shoes in my birthday gift this year and I wore those things faithfully. The beach has 'beach grass' (it's pretty and green like an underwater lawn), but if don't don't like the sensation of walking on something other than sand, the little beach shoes are great. Did lots of swimming off the dock on the resort property....jump off there and no grass--just lovely water. Subway Sports Dive Shop on property I'll review separately--more fantasic folks there as well!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I just returned from attending a wedding at Palmetto Bay. We rented Casa Sunburst which was a lovely property, however, not really set up for short term rentals as there are no "basic staples", i.e, salt, pepper, spices, etc. Otherwise the kitchen is well stocked with utensils and appliances. Also it would have been nice to be able to use the washer and dryer at the property - Emily offered her staff to do laundry but with a washer and dryer in the unit, it would have been more convenient to do our own. The staff here are second to none and the wedding was a beautiful affair with all our needs taken good care of. Cecilia and her staff are wonderfully attentive. Special acknowledgement to Emily for her great attitude and willingness to go the extra mile. The only downside - the biting insects...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
San Salvador, El Salvador
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

If you are looking for a off the road place to get away, go to Palmetto Bay. They have spectacular staff (kudos to Emily and Eric) with beautiful reefs for snorkeling/diving two minutes out. The villas are well equipped, clean, and very peaceful.

We got there mid-week and it was quite tranquil. We had a bit more people on the weekend, but nothing like the big resorts on the other side of the island. Pre-order your lunch and dinner and the food will be ready for you on time. Stop by the supermarket with the driver on your way in and you can get pretty much anything you need to complement eating at the restaurant.

The bugs are a force to be reckoned with but just wear bugspray and long sleeves/pants after 4pm (I have lived here for years and it is the only failsafe option). Try to stay inside around dusk and inside screened areas or around the main lodge afterwards where you can find a nice sea breeze.

Room Tip: Some rooms are part of one large villa split into two. If not being near anyone is a big problem for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We spent 8 days here in the Coconut Villa and loved it. Yes, it is a little out of the way and down a dirt road but out of the way is what we like. I would suggest a car. We had a 4 wheel drive and there were no problems. The villa itself was a beautiful Balinese style. It was well appointed with everything you need, comfy beds, and a perfect size plunge pool in front. The beach is beautiful with soft white sand but unfortunately the water is full of sea grass so we didn't swim off the beach but there is a dock with a large palapa and 4 hammocks and a swimmimg platform a short swim away. We spent most of our time at our pool or on the swim platform. We went diving and snorkling with the dive shop there a few times and they were great. Very knowledgable and professional. Snorkle the wreck . It is AWESOME. The food was quite good and the service was great. (I didn't enjoy the buffets so much but they only have those for breakfast on the week ends.) I found the staff to be so friendly. The waiters and bartenders were great !! Cecelia and the rest of the staff were attentive to our every need. If we asked for something they got right on it. The bugs are a part of Roatan and i must say I have never seen such voracious ones and you never saw them !! 99% deets didn't work that great on them but I did find a natural spray at the pharmacy that was citronella and it worked great. The bites themselves itch for weeks but we got some atarax from the pharmacy and it stopped the itch immediately. We loved Palmetto Bay and felt very safe there and had a wonderful stay there. The Coconut Villa could use a hammock though but I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple