My wife and I decided to visit Roatan for our 1-year anniversary and split our lodging among a couple of different venues. Palmetto Bay was our first stop for three nights.
Palmetto Bay is in a pretty secluded and less developed are of Roatan. This is both a good and a bad thing. On one side of the coin, you are away from the hustle and bustle of civilzation and days are very tranquil. The other side of that coin is that the rest of the island is not readily accessible. While it's nice they have a dive shop and restaurant on site, it's a respectable trip (at $15 a pop) in their van on winding dirt roads to reach even the closest civilization (about 20 minutes).
The grounds are beautifully kept with a nice jungle rustic decor. The beach side is plentiful with a enjoyable Pallapa stretching off the beach. The food was acceptably priced and modestly good, but not great. There's no gym or anything like that, and the pool is modest as well. I can't speak for the dive shop because it's a small shop that's often vacant/closed if they have a trip scheduled. As it were, we were never able to set up any activities with them, so it's recommended to do that in advance. The real killer here is the bugs. The sand fleas/flies are merciless. I think in their green efforts, they attempt to avoid spraying the grounds. Mosquitoes can be quite a menace as well. This is to be expected if you stay on the jungle coast. During the offseason they offer lots of incentives to mainland Hondurans to vacation there or else it is completely dead. You'll often see large families weekend there.
The room was spacious and way more than we needed. It was a gorgeous building with many modern amenities. It's important to note that AC is an extra $40/day surcharge. It's possible to manage without it, but depends on the time of year.
Overall, I'd say Palmetto is a nice find at an affordable price. I wouldn't promote it as a romantic getaway. The bug problem hinders the prospect of romance. This would be a nice place to go with several friends however.
- Also Known As:
- Palmetto Bay Plantation Roatan
- Palmetto Bay Plantation Hotel
- Palmetto Bay Plantation Roatan, Honduras - Bay Islands
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Palmetto Bay Plantation is a natural paradise situated on a sparkling bay, surrounded by a coral reef. Pristine beaches friendly faces and rhythm that allow you to appreciate the natural beauty are your constant companions. From our white sand beach, you can walk for miles and not encounter "modern civilization". See why so many people have chosen to make Palmetto Bay Plantation their vacation destination and why seven major television shows have filmed programs at our resort including "Temptation Island" on Fox TV. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo and Otel so you can book your Palmetto Bay Plantation reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.