“Nice cabins. Understaffed place.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Palmetto Bay Plantation

You added Palmetto Bay Plantation to your Saves list
Palmetto Bay Plantation
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Ms Vecinal, Palmetto Bay, Crawfish Rock, IB3100, Honduras   |
Ranked #39 of 42 Hotels in Roatan
“Nice cabins. Understaffed place.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

The cabins in this place are really nice, some even have a private pool, they should be cleaned up more often though, we found ours with a bat inside and cockroaches in the kitchen counter + ghecko poop near the beds. The administration needs to hire more personnel. The beach looks awful and is plagued with 'seaflies'. The food choices were really poor. To make the best out of the trip, we ended up renting a car driving all the way to west bay where they have great beaches and good food.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I held our wedding in Roatan on West End beach in February 2012. We rented houses on West End for our family and friends - so we decided to just do our wedding on the beach next to the houses. Since we picked our location and were not staying at a resort - we didn't know where to start planning!

The company we rented the houses from suggested Cecilia Mendez Chamer - the wedding planner at Palmetto Bay Plantation, since she does weddings on other parts of the island as well. I contacted Cecilia and she responded immedately, agreed to help us (on pretty short notice) and started planning our special day! I was so relieved to have her in charge! Our wedding was pretty low-key and we didn't want to spend a lot of money but she got us a TON of bang for our buck!

I sent her a long list of items I wanted to for the wedding and she made all of my dreams come true! She immediately started sending back information and lots of pictures so I would know as many details as possible. Cecilia was amazingly fast with her responses to my emails and took care of everything I needed. I felt totally at east with the planning process - even though I'd never been to Roatan and had never even spoken to her on the phone before we arrived on the island! A couple of her staff members met us when we arrived in Roatan and helped us figure out the details of where everything would take place. On the day of the wedding we we completely stress free - she arranged for someone to come to the house to do my hair, delivered the cake and champagne I'd requested to the vistas and everything was on time. I watched my wedding set up taking place from the balcony of our house while I got ready!

We walked over to our ceremony,(which was perfectly timed with the sunset since Cecilia had our meeting the day before at the exact time when the wedding would happen so we could gauge how the sunset would look for our pictures). We completed our ceremony and then walked back to the houses - no clean up - so stress free! - and our families enjoyed that a lot! The only bad thing about the wedding was that since we chose to have it on a public beach, there was quite a bit of road noise and other people around, but Cecilia had given me very fair warning of these things when we chose our site. We decided to do it there anyway and knew there would be some peripheral noise. We were so happy to be getting married that it didn't matter to us!

After the ceremony Cecilia had set up a wonderful dinner at a local restaurant (Besos) and we arrived to find a special table decorated for us and our family - added bonus! The dinner was romantic and the food was great so it was a great suggestion from Cecilia as well.

Overall, I would definitely recommend Cecilia as a wedding planner to anyone who would like to have their wedding in Roatan. The photographer she recommeded, Darren with Roatan Photography, did an AMAZING job also. We were super impressed with his work and we adore our pictures! They turned out so beautifully!!! We had a great experience and are so grateful to Cecilia for all her hard work and careful planning. Thanks Cecilia!! We hope to visit Roatan again very soon!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
tegusigalpa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

fantastic would be the best way to express our stay at palmetto. the staff go out the way to make your stay completely satisfying . my family and I am very pleased to say that we had best vacation ever . Thanks to ll the staff at Palmetto

Room Tip: cabaña on the beach front
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Norton Shores, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

A piece of paradise!!! The resort and staff serve personalized attention with great attention to detail and customer service. You get to know all the staff by name and cannot express how thoughful, genuine and special they all are. (you all were great!) Angie, Melissa, Erick, Mario, Ivan the Chef and entire staff make your stay extra special. The Chef - AWESOME!! The anniversary dinner FANTASTIC!!! Some of the best dinners I have ever had. KUDOS!! The house we stayed at was wonderful (A6). We where able to rent a vehicle and plan any and all activities right there on site. We have been to Roatan a few times and have always stayed more towards West Bay / West End. Palmetto has outshined all the rest. I would highly recommend you consider this a place to stay if your planning a trip to Roatan.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Wow what a great experience my wife and I had at Palmetto Bay Plantation and on the island of Roatan! We have traveled extensively in the Western and Southern Caribbean and the time we had a Palmetto Bay may have been our best vacation every. Granted the pool and beach are not the tops in the region but the people at this resort more than make up for the minor inconvenience of having a small pool and a weedy beach. Yeah Roatan has bugs and I highly recommend you take precautions as we are still itchy but this place is worth it! Just use lots of spray and heed their warnings. Also, the resort will arrange transport for you anywhere you want to go on the island. We swam with dolphins, visited French Key, West End and West Bay all arranged by the staff at Palmetto.
I highly recommend the resort for special occasions. We had the place nearly to ourselves, got to know the friendly staff and other guest. I can't express enough how wonderful they are. We happen to be at the resort over my birthday and Erick made us a special meal on the beach and baked me a birthday cake without us even asking for that type of service. He also arranged a bonfire on the beach and a heart in the sand for my wife and my 25th anniversary that was unexpected. We were on the all-inclusive and both the food and the drinks were very very good. Lobster and shrimp dishes were both good as was the fish and chicken. Breakfast was also wonderful although I’m not a huge fan of the coffee here.
We also used Subway divers who office at the resort and were VERY pleased with the instruction we were given on our first two dives of our lives (they will not be our last). Darren and co were wonderful and the instruction couldn't have been better. What the resort may lack in beach it MORE than makes up for in reef less than 100 yards off that beach. I've never seen a healthier reef and we have snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii.
Bottom line...what a trip...from Cecilia to Erick the entire staff made our stay a great experience. It's a big world and I rarely go somewhere twice but this is a resort we might just have to get a second visit from my family.

Room Tip: Scuba is wonderful off this resort ...saw turtles, moray eels, tons of tiny and large reef life all...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed @ Palmetto for our honeymoon and it was all we could ever imagine a honeymoon to be and more! We wanted to stay somewhere that was different and unique for our honeymoon not at the typical hotel atmosphere which we usually would stay and Palmetto Bay definitely had that unique atmosphere we were seeking! Cecilia was very accommodating and attentive to all our needs and her staff was excellent and very friendly! We stayed in Casa Sunburst and we had our own pool which was very private and we had beautiful views of the ocean. The pool was also very clean. They set up a private candlelight dinner for us on the beach with our own bonfire one night which was awesome! Another night we had a candlelight dinner on the palapa which was also very romantic. We did lots of activities during our stay outside of the resort such as ziplining and snorkeling and they set up transportation for us anytime we wanted to explore the west end or west bay. We had such an amazing time on our honeymoon that we are going back next year for our 1st anniversary! We might try out the other Villa coconut grove this time! ;)
I would HIGHLY recommend this resort for anyone looking for a more private personal and rustic feel.
<3 Karla & Evan :)

• Stayed April 2012
nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Please disregard any bad reviews...your vacation is what YOU make it. Yes, there were a few things that went wrong, but nothing so bad that it couldn't be fixed. Bug bites, wear some bug repellent. Out of soda for a few hours, drink something else. As i said above your vacation is what you make it.

Onto my review... Palmetto Bay Plantation is a piece of paradise that you will not want to miss. It is a smallish resort with very personalized attention. There were maybe 15-20 guests the entire time we were there. We knew all of the staff by name and they knew us.(Everyone there, you were great!) Want something different from the menu? Ask away, they will accomodate you if they can. Whatever you desire they will bend over backwards to get you. Emily the resort manager was such a sweet and wonderful person. I sat with her and the night manager, Melissa, many nights rocking away chit chatting about our lives. Yes, it was that kind of resort. The food was phenominal and the chef to die for. Her creations were wonderful each and every night! The dive shop on sight, I cannot say enough good things about. I reviewed them too. Check it out: Subway watersports. Overall our week was fabulaous and I can't wait to return :)

PS- They even made us lunch to take with us when we left to go home. Now that is great treatment!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Palmetto Bay Plantation? Share your experiences!