“Loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 26 attractions in Roatan
Type: Islands
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Welcome to our Private Island Retreat......Best Moments....Both eco friendly and mystical, this place is built with kindness to the environment and people in mind, Little French Key is where you get back to your essence. Roatan is an uncommon place to rejuvenate physically, mentally and spiritually. .Join us for some of the best moments of your life.....
Pleasant Grove, Utah
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 NEW

We were with a group of 8 people and we all loved it. We tried out several of the beaches, the hammocks, the kayaks, and snorkeling. The lunch was delicious and we enjoyed seeing the birds and monkeys up close. My first experience snorkeling in Cabo was horrible so I was a little nervous, but it was wonderful. All 8 of us went out on the boat, but only 5 of us snorkeled. The driver stayed with the boat and our guide took us into the water. We followed him as he would point out things underwater and scare out lobsters, etc. We did the 98.00 package which included 2 drinks and lunch. We all felt it was worth the price. They were so accommodating with the drinks and coming to get us for different things we wanted to do. Although there were a lot of people, it didn't seem crowded as there is a lot of beach front and other things to do. We all enjoyed the van ride to get to the ferry which took us to the island. Nice to see the scenery, culture, etc. We were given explicit directions as to how to find our van driver when we got off the ship. Only con was that the sign the driver held up was nice, but, the words weren't big enough to see with all of the other signs there trying to attract your attention. Thankfully when we asked, others knew where our driver was.

Visited April 2014

“Stunning but animal concerns”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 NEW

The Little French Keys is an absolutely stunningly beautiful place and I want to believe that the owners are well intended for the most part. But after the initial loveliness of the lush terrains, and being an advocate for animal welfare, I couldn't help but feel completely depressed about the conditions in which their exotic animals are kept. There is something absolutely heartbreaking about them being stuck in cages that seem too small for their frame as the throngs of tourist huddle around them. I felt especially terrible for this jaguar, now alone. Apparently there had been 2 but the female, his sister, died from pesticide poisoning (!!!). I was told by the trip organiser that they allow the jaguar to roam around the island freely after closure. Now if this is true, though it seems highly unlikely, I feel that it hardly makes up for the entire day spent in the cage, submitting to strangers requests. Also, from reading other reviews here, I see things seemed to have changed since the passing of his sister. Perhaps he's just grown too big or after her death has displayed behaviour inappropriate for tourists? I've no clue. But watching him being knocked down and chained, listening to him whimper while pacing back in forth while tethered to a chain was wildly traumatic to me.

Now the line they feed you is that these animals are in fact rescued, which makes you think they are meant to be released back into the wild after receiving appropriate care . This however seems completely naïve as I got the general impression that they are just kept there to feed the needs of eager tourists. The baby spider monkey seemed so tired while passed around from one person's arms to the other, I felt sorry for the little fellow.

Now I know, you're all thinking I’m a zoo hater, and I am even though I'm sure some of them are quite nice but here even the drinks (5$ per beer and up to 7$ for a cocktail) aren’t enough to lift your spirits. 65$ got us in for the day with a meal (not vegetarian) and two included beverages. My second Michelada had to be returned cause the bartender "forgot" to put the tomato juice...he barely seemed interested in serving me at all.

Okay I'm done. :)

Ocean Springs, Mississippi
“Good, but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 NEW

This is a difficult review to write. We had a good time but the cons outweigh the pros. We pre booked on line prior to leaving for our cruise and were under the impression they did not do cruise sponsored excursions which was not true. They have recently started allowing carnival to have excursions to the island which takes away from the "private" aspect of the island. There were also many locals there to add to the crowded small island.

PROS
-The place really is very pretty.
-The food, while not a lot was very good.
-The animals were fun to look at.

CONS
-Price, compared to other excursions on this island as well as others, this is WAYYY to high. (98 per person with snorkel trip)
-Entry only includes two drinks per person. For the price it should be all inclusive as other resorts are way cheaper and provide drinks all day as well as more food.
-There were way to many people there. The people that booked online, plus the carnival excursion, plus the locals proved to be to much for the small island. We were only able to get one lounger for the two of us and every little beach area was packed with people
-We bought the snorkeling tour. We were brought out to the ocean in a small skiff and told "the water is to rough for the boat, swim out there if you want to snorkel". Um, couldn't we have done that ourselves and saved 20 bucks???
-There is no posted schedule or times for anything. We were told "they will find you" when we asked when the snorkeling was. The food time was "when we get it all cooked". There needs to be a schedule posted for when the animals are able to be interacted with.

We would go back but only if the price was lowered. It seems the owner has decided to let to many people into what really has the opportunity to be an amazing place. I don't know if this is driven by money or just trying to see how many people can be fit on the island. Oh well. You live and learn. Just learned on $196 bucks this time.

Nashville, Indiana, United States
9 attraction reviews
“"Little taste of paradise!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 NEW

What an amazing place! We got to hold monkeys, got in the cage with them & they climbed all over us, as well as several other exotic birds ands animals. They also have 2 jagguires that you can pet. For an additional charge you can go in the cage and hold them or even go swimming with them! You can look and play with them at your leisure. ( you just ask the guys if you want in the cages) They also have horse back riding through the ocean, snorkeling, several different little beaches you can swim or snorkel off of. They have a few paddle boards and kayaks available for use. The water is crystal clear, however if you are wanting snorkeling, there isnt alot to see right off of the island. Pay for the snorkeling and they will take you out to the reef to snorkel. There was 13 of us ranging from age 60 down to age 6. We all had an AMAZING time & didnt want to leave! Take your own snacks if possible, because there isn't anything around besides their food.In my opinion the food was good, but pricy, and not many options.

Hamburg, Michigan
“little french Key Private Island get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 NEW

AMAZING........the views the animals, the people and the food all amazing. I can not say enough about the beauty of this island. Places to snorkle...included in the cost, hammocks to relax, the jumping platform which takes your breath away. Kayaks and the animals you get to hold and pet. If you want your breath taken away this is a must see........I can not wait to go back. Only problem was not enough time but that was but to the cruise ship not Little French Key.