“Nice, friendly and affordable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Georphi's Tropical Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Roatan
Georphi's Tropical Hideaway
You added Georphi's Tropical Hideaway to your Saves list
West End, Honduras   |
Ranked #16 of 44 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
Rimouski, Canada
“Nice, friendly and affordable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The staff at the hotel couldn't be more friendly. The rooms are surrounded by trees and animals. The dock in front of the hotel is perfect for sunsets. There is a very nice and affordable restaurant right next to the hotel. It is quiet during the day but it is close to a very loud bar. Rosters can wake you up quite early too ! Overall a great place for the price. You also get discounts for diving with Reef Gliders. I would go back anytime.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
DerekM1972, Manager at Georphi's Tropical Hideaway, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
We appreciate the kind words. Unfortunately, we cannot do much about the roosters and bars. We do try and make sure our guests have a comfortable stay. Stay well...Cheers!

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just came back after staying 12 nights at Georphis - This was not according to the plan but West End is a place that does This to you. Especially if you stay in such a Nice place as Georphis. Pro's

- your own cabin with private hot shower, comfortable beds and a Porch with hammock. What else do you need?
- excellent location, just 5mtr from the ocean and a 3 min walk to the swimming beach (West end is Very small)
- They attract a Very Nice and diverse crowd; lots of backpackers but also families and return customers. Made lots of friends here
- the cabins are in a beautifull garden which has macaws, parrots and a family of little Ducks with a chicken as a mother (?!). Also I saw lots of kolibris
- Michelle, the owner, Goes the extra mile on service. She is one of nicest hotel managers i have ever met

And best of all: it is cheap! Because I stayed longer I got a discount but even without This place is by far the best value for money on West End. Most of the places are a lot more expensive and do not offer half of what Georphis has to offer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I stayed over a week in one of the cabins with shared bathroom and kitchenette. The room was spacious, clean and peaceful. Being in West End there is always some noise but this is for sure one of the most quiet locations. The bathroom and kitchenette were shared with only the neighboring room so there was never waiting. Best part of the cabin was the big terrace with hammocks, chairs and table. The tropical garden surrounding the cabins is beautiful and you can see a lot of animals (iguanas and capybaras for example) while swinging in your hammock.

The owners are friendly and pleasant people who know how to make their guests feel welcome. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am so pleased with this small paradise! Our plane arrived late and our taxi was still waiting 3 hours later. Checked in with Michele and her mom, Rosalie! Amazing people. Slept very comfortably in my adorable cabin! Awoke this morning to delicious banana pancakes at Rudy's and a tasty pineapple smoothie for lunch! It cannot get better than this. I am here for two weeks with my fiancé'. Oh, pretty much your own private beach right out front! If you read any bad reviews about bed bugs forget it! That is so far from the truth! In fact, you will love this place!

Room Tip: My cabin is a blue one with AC, tv, wifi and more..WOW.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

We booked at Georphi's for 1 month in November but after 2 nights we had to fly away from this place because we were attacked by bedbugs. The owners, Rosalie and Michelle, didn't want to recognize the problem even though we showed them the bugs and their feces in the bed.
They said that they were dead baby cockroaches and that our bites came from mosquitoes or sand flies! But after we left, and since then (we are still on the island) we never had any other bites like these!! Additionnally, I went to the doctor for another reason but I showed him the bites and a bug I had taken in a plastic bag, and he confirmed me that they were bedbugs.

Rosalie kept 100 dollars from our deposit for the 2 nights and we had to check in in another hotel with all our possibly contaminated clothes and bags!

Additionnally, the room was dirty and we had spent the first day cleaning it with products we bought at the supermarket.

We stayed at Posada Arco Iris which was much more clean and nice, and cost us 35 dollars per night instead of 50 for a much better quality!!

Last but not least, we had to laundry all our clothes and bags high temperature to kill the bugs and it cost us 50 dollars and many clothes and shoes were destroyed by the high temperature...
So we lost a lot of money in this adventure and never had any excuse from Rosalie or Michelle!

The worst is that as they don't recognize the problem they won't treat the room so they risk to contaminate many people and other hotels!!

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THIS HORRIBLE PLACE!!!

• Stayed November 2012
Michele_Cee, Owner at Georphi's Tropical Hideaway, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
I am sorry that you had a bad experience while visiting Georphi's Tropical Hideaway. We strive to meet the needs of all of guests. When you and your partner came to Georphi's your room was not ready and perhaps you don't remember you couldn't enter your room until later on in the afternoon because it was being refreshed. Which is when a clean room is being cleaned again. While you waited for your room to be refreshed you were on your phone outside, down in the front of the property for about 45 minutes to an hour talking on the phone while wearing shorts and no repellent whatsoever. This you even admitted yourself. So when exaxtly did you clean your room with products you bought at the supermarket?  Anyone that has ever been to West End knows that wearing repellent is necessary anytime you are outside. It is unfortunate that you blame your bad judgement on nonexistent bed bugs. We did inspect your room THREE times and never found any bugs. The first time was the afternoon after you reported having an unusual amount of bites, the second time was with you and your partner in the room and the third time was after you left. There were NEVER any bed bugs in that bed and you know this. We take all claims seriously and investigate. Bed bugs are a very serious problem and had we found any we would have addressed it immediately and appropriately. When you left I remember giving you tips on how to protect yourself against mosquitos and sand flies as well as giving you some anti itch medication. It's unfortunate that you felt the need to bash our business when in fact you were your own problem and not us. Perhaps you found another place to rent and didn't know how to get out of the arrangement you had made with us as we can't understand why you would go to such great lengths to discourage future customers. You were going to rent on a monthly basis at a great discount a cabin that usually rents for $60 per night. My mother discounted the 2 nights (only 1 of which you actually slept in the cabin) and you were very understanding. I don't know what changed between November 2nd and December 12th but what you wrote was very hurtful and completely untrue. I took it very personal that you would actually lie about your experience and try to discourage future business after the conversations we had with you. I guess it just goes to show on another level how people will smile to your face then stab you in the back. We are glad that you have been able to take care of yourself and have not had another issue but please you need to admit that what happened to you was because of your own bad decision to not wear repellent.
You need to remove your post of lies and admit that what happened to you was not because of bed bugs.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed in the cheapest possible accommodation while working toward my open water certification. This place is absolutely wonderful, and quite the value. The folks who run the place are incredibly nice, with a very welcoming, relaxed vibe. The little restaurant is very good as well, although I much preferred the chicken place next door (best and cheapest in the west end). Also, as I left hastily one early morning, I left my phone and a few other belongings. I figured there was no way I'd ever see these things again (I mean, come on, it's Honduras). To my surprise Rosalie made sure my belongings made their way back to me in the states. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Room Tip: They're all nice. They keep the shared restrooms super clean so it really doesn't matter...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed at Georphi's for 11 days after trying a hostel in Sandy Bay (too far away) and a room at Chillies (no bathroom). For only $1 more each we were treated to the lovely 6B in a little cabin up the hill. We shared a TINY kitchen and a nice bathroom with people staying in 6A. It was a big circular cabin divided in half between the two rooms. The owners, Rosalie and Michelle, speak perfect English (I think they are from the US?) and are incredibly helpful.

As we shared a bed this was, in my opinion, the best value in Roatan. We paid $25 a night (so $12.50 each) but were both diving at the affiliated Reef Gliders dive shop which gave us each $10/off per night at Georphi's for every day that we dived. So some days we paid $2.50 each to stay at this place!

The cabin was very clean and the bathroom is a good size. The only problem was that our neighbors often forgot to unlock our bathroom door after they used it (you each have a door to the bathroom and lock the other people's while you are in there). We found out on the last day of our trip that our room key also opens the bathroom!! So that is good to know. There were a lot of nice touches like soap in the bathroom, q-tips, shampoo and conditioner. We tipped the maid $1-2 US (they clean every other day on long stays) and she did a lovely job in our room. The only complaint I would have is that the bathmat gets disgusting with 4 people a day showering on it and a humid environment...it probably needs to be changed daily. Other than that I was really pleased with the room. TWO fans in the room!! And a great little private deck with two hammocks. Super nice!

It is in a great location within walking distance to everything. Close to Fosters and Rudy's restaurant and the infamous rotisserie chicken place are on the same property. If you arrive and you can't find Michelle or Rosalie they are usually in Rudy's. There are parrots, cats and dogs all over the premises so if you aren't a fan this probably isn't a place for you.

We loved Georphi's and thought it was a great value for the price range. Will definitely stay here again when we return to Roatan. When we left, Michelle arranged a taxi for us and got some other guests in it too to cut down on the price for us. Get her to arrange for Oscar's taxi if you can... by far the nicest (and probably the only air-conditioned) cab in West End!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Georphi's Tropical Hideaway? Share your experiences!