“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 44 Specialty Lodging in Roatan
Houston, Texas
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I stayed in the cheapest possible accommodation while working toward my open water certification. This place is absolutely wonderful, and quite the value. The folks who run the place are incredibly nice, with a very welcoming, relaxed vibe. The little restaurant is very good as well, although I much preferred the chicken place next door (best and cheapest in the west end). Also, as I left hastily one early morning, I left my phone and a few other belongings. I figured there was no way I'd ever see these things again (I mean, come on, it's Honduras). To my surprise Rosalie made sure my belongings made their way back to me in the states. Amazing. Simply amazing.

Room Tip: They're all nice. They keep the shared restrooms super clean so it really doesn't matter...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Roatan, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed at Georphi's for 11 days after trying a hostel in Sandy Bay (too far away) and a room at Chillies (no bathroom). For only $1 more each we were treated to the lovely 6B in a little cabin up the hill. We shared a TINY kitchen and a nice bathroom with people staying in 6A. It was a big circular cabin divided in half between the two rooms. The owners, Rosalie and Michelle, speak perfect English (I think they are from the US?) and are incredibly helpful.

As we shared a bed this was, in my opinion, the best value in Roatan. We paid $25 a night (so $12.50 each) but were both diving at the affiliated Reef Gliders dive shop which gave us each $10/off per night at Georphi's for every day that we dived. So some days we paid $2.50 each to stay at this place!

The cabin was very clean and the bathroom is a good size. The only problem was that our neighbors often forgot to unlock our bathroom door after they used it (you each have a door to the bathroom and lock the other people's while you are in there). We found out on the last day of our trip that our room key also opens the bathroom!! So that is good to know. There were a lot of nice touches like soap in the bathroom, q-tips, shampoo and conditioner. We tipped the maid $1-2 US (they clean every other day on long stays) and she did a lovely job in our room. The only complaint I would have is that the bathmat gets disgusting with 4 people a day showering on it and a humid environment...it probably needs to be changed daily. Other than that I was really pleased with the room. TWO fans in the room!! And a great little private deck with two hammocks. Super nice!

It is in a great location within walking distance to everything. Close to Fosters and Rudy's restaurant and the infamous rotisserie chicken place are on the same property. If you arrive and you can't find Michelle or Rosalie they are usually in Rudy's. There are parrots, cats and dogs all over the premises so if you aren't a fan this probably isn't a place for you.

We loved Georphi's and thought it was a great value for the price range. Will definitely stay here again when we return to Roatan. When we left, Michelle arranged a taxi for us and got some other guests in it too to cut down on the price for us. Get her to arrange for Oscar's taxi if you can... by far the nicest (and probably the only air-conditioned) cab in West End!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

Great place to stay and save a few dollars. Roatan is super expensive so u can save some money by getting a room with a kitchen. Coffee is great at Rudys. Kat Kat is a cool cat. This place Is a good place to stay but if u r going to spend $50-$60 on a cabin here check lost paradise further down the road for resort quality cabins for only 10-15$ more.

• Stayed December 2011
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

I think it's fair to say that staying at Georphi's was the highlight of my trip to Roatán. Georphi's is family-run by Rosalie and her daughter Michelle. They are super friendly, nice and helpful and will go out of their way for you. Which is more than I can say for the rest of my experiences in Honduras!!

Georphi's is a series of wooden cabins and there are two dorms - a 6-bed US$10/night one and a 3-bed US$15/night one. Both are well-screened with fans and have en suite baths with hot water. The 3-bed dorm also has a small kitchen. They are side by side with a shared deck and the cabin is elevated so catches the breeze.

Rosalie and her family have thought of everything here. It's one of the best-appointed hostels I've come across and it's the little things that make all the difference... For example, there's hand soap in the bathroom, a shelf for your toiletries, 3-ply toilet paper and a bathmat. It felt like home :) They have fast wifi too, though you have to be in one of the cabins closest to the office to get a signal, or you can sit in the restaurant. Michelle told me they will soon be putting in a new router at the other end of the property so all the guests have wifi in their rooms. This place is already excellent value on Roatán and that will just be icing on the cake!!

• Stayed September 2011
Kittredge, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Georphi's was the perfect match for us on our recent vacation in Roatan. We stayed in cabin 6b, shared bath/kitchen, and it could not have been any better. Not only are the owners incredibly nice and helpful, the location is perfect, and it puts you only steps to the BEST SMOOTHIES IN THE WORLD at Rudy's :) Hands down we will be staying here again.
Thank you Georphi's!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Hannover, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Well, it's not so much a hideaway, because bars and discos in the nighborhood are noisy until late. But that is everywhere in West End the case.

Their are huts with kitchen and without, with private and shared bathroom, with ac or fans, dorms. All have different prices starting with 15 US $ for a dorm. Huts starts with 25 US $, ....., asked for weekly rates.
The island is extremely expensive and I have no idea why. The reefs are destroyed, the beaches are conterminated with terrible sand flies, it's loud, noisy, not a place to relax, the road in West End is mess and rumors say it's gonna be paved soon, but who knows.

Anyhow, if you happen to stay in Roatan for some reason, I can recommend Geophry's Hideaway.

Michelle, from the US,who runs this place, is recognizable by her laughter, is a very friendly and helpful person. Staff lives in between guests and they don't care if you pay for sleeping. It's not a quiet place. If you are allergic to dogs and birds, don't go there. There are plenty of dogs running around and bark all the time. Birds are in cages.

WIFI is available for free. There are two restaurant on the property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo