“Beautiful but...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 41 hotels in Roatan
Indian Head Park,IL.
“Beautiful but...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I just returned from a week of staying there.10/27 to the 3rd of Nov. 1st,the rainy season is then..If your not a diver ,there is little to do at this end of the island.It is a 1 hr. ride to get to the 'West end" of the Island which is where most of the gift shops are.As some of the other reviews for this "sister"to Henry Morgan Resort have stated.The food menu needs some improving. Fish,Chicken & Rice...Meat is occasional.Internet & or phone service needs help.From what I understand ,they have been open for 3 yrs. now..When there was a issue,i.e. batteries in safe went out..The lobby person went & got it resolved. At times there is no one there,if you do have a problem.The Sand flies or what ever they were are TERRIBLE!!In spite of applying bug repellent.The design of the Resort is very picture esque. Depending on where your room is located it can be a distance from the dive shop/pier to do your diving.
The Diving is FANTASTIC!!! The reefs are in great shape & creatures abound.Sea horses,Flamingo Tongue,Nurse Sharks,,Moray's,Lobsters,Sea Turtles ,Scorpion fish & lizard fish.For large groups.Make sure you let them know ahead of time.They need the help..for such demands. Nitrox is available.
I even went for the gold & did the Shark dive,with Waihuka Adventure Diving. I would do it again!!!A once in a life time experience.I will say ,I think they are trying to get it right..
As another point of Interest.Hole In the Wall is a excellent spot to go to for a lunch. Gio's Crab house is another TJ Lynch video recommended spot.There are 2 on the Island.1 in French Harbor. Bon voyage...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

395 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I actually had a decent trip, despite the resort. This was our first trip to Roatan and our main reason was for the diving. If you aren't a diver, you should probably go somewhere else. There is absolutely NOTHING to do on this resort except dive and sit by the pool.

The beach is super small and not the pure white sand you expect in the caribbean. My wife and I didn't even set foot on it and we love beaches. The swimming pools are only waist deep. There is no night life here and the bar (there's only one open, either inside or out) closes at around 10-11pm and the place is dead. I'm glad I brought a couple bottles of wine to drink back at our room. Actually there was entertainment on one night...some local dance group demonstration or something. Not impressive. The night before our group left though they did make an effort and had dinner outside and a live band for us. Nice of them to do that. Only entertaining night we had, they even kept the bar open a little later for us. Add to the fact that the place is completely isolated and it can be very boring here.

Enough has been said about the food so I'll keep it simple, just like the food. Plain. Bland. Repetitive. Not very good. Didn't bother us much at first, we're not picky, but after a few days it seemed I was living on grilled chicken and white rice.

Despite this, we had a decent trip because, as I said, we went to dive. We went diving twice a day most days. Dive staff were helpful and the other divers were great. We were always up early so by the time evening rolled around after a couple dives we were a little tired, so the lack of entertainment / night life didn't matter so much. If it wasn't for the diving I would have been out of my mind with boredom though.

The room (cabin) was nice enough, had an oceanview (well...would have been if not for the huge tree blocking the view) with a large deck and hammock...it was nice and clean.

That being said, diving on Roatan is great so even if that's your main purpose I'm sure you can find a much better resort. I liked Roatan but would never go back to this resort.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Media Luna is a gorgeous resort with an accommodating staff. My sister got married at Media Luna last weekend and we all had an amazing time. The scenery was perfect for a wedding ceremony and reception and all of the guests enjoyed staying at the resort. The cabins were clean, uniquely decorated, and had great views. The private beach was beautiful and the snorkeling was the best I've seen.
I hope to return to Media Luna soon!

Room Tip: Recommend a room with a view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went for the diving mainly but found the dive shop to be run be a major jerk. His wife is nice though and is the real owner. She has to work hard to make up for his attitude. Worst dive shop experience we have ever had. The being said, the shore diving experience from this resort is great. Really nice, deep wall just off the coast. You can requests taks and just go with a buddy from the dock without needing to deal with the dive shop jerk directly. We paid extra, up-front for daily diving trips but never used them as we didn't want to go out with them. They did not make us feel that they were all that compotent. We stuck to just taking tanks and going out ourselves.

The resort is comprised of small, individual cabins that are up on a cliff away fromt he ocean (there is no direct access to the ocean from the cabins). Some have a view of the ocean below while otehrs are set more into the trees. The power goes out intentionally for an hour, twice per day. Very annoying but I guess they do it to save electricity. The climate is hot so it sucks to be without AC during these daily power-outs.

The resort is owned by the Henry Morgan group. There is no kitchen at this resort. All food is prepared and shipped in from the Henry Morgan resort on the other end of the island. As most others have mentioned, the food is not good and is only kept warm in the buffet line by fondu candles under the trays.

No snaks or drinks are made available in the rooms. You have to get your own water from the lobby and bring it back to your room....you can't drink the tap water obviously. We wought a few bottles of water and just kept filling them from the coolers in the lobby.

There was a good amount of construction happening while we were there becuase they were building more cabins.

The owners are italian and have arrangement with some italian tour groups. The italian guests are treated to a much greater level of service and attention than the non-italian tour groups. They sit on one side of the "restaurant" with full table services, linens, wines etc while all other sit on the other side wit no service and no wine with dinner and only basic settings. The Italians also seem to like to smoke....a LOT! All of the common areas are filled with smokers. Also, the italians are allowed to bring kids to the resort. It's advertised as adults-only in north america though so if you are going with expectations of not seeing kids, you will be in for a surprise.

The pool is small and basic and shallow but clean. hot tubs are available but are not heated as far as we could tell.

There is no significant beach. It's just a patch of sand that you can access from the deck above. It's not a resort for deach lovers.

The ideal profile for this resort is a couple of scuba divers looking to do some nice shore dives and that are not picky about food. If you're not diving, there is absolutely nothing to do and there is noplace to go. You can not walk to a town or shop. You would need to rent a taxi and the closest shop/town is a good 30 minute drive away.

There is no internet service available in the rooms. No wifi. There is wifi access in the lobby in some spots but it is slow and unreliable.

Room Tip: ocean view rooms are the best situated. you will either be close to the lobby or the dive dock. the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Our family & friends just spent a fantastic week at Media Luna.
Our daughter and son-in-law had a magical wedding, set in idyllic surroundings.
From the sound of the steel pans to the pineapple punch, the delicious coconut shrimp to the chocolate mousse, the champagne toasts to dancing on the decks ... the evening was perfect.

I think the marketing of Media Luna by Sunwing is the issue at hand.

We had been to Media Luna in January and noticed improvement are being implemented.
Management is listening to the comments of their guests and acting on them.
We mingled with the Italian guests during our stay as did they with us.
All in all we had a fabulous week enjoying deep-sea fishing, snorkelling, exploring the island, zip-lining, shopping, scuba diving and a seafood lunch at a local seaside restaurant.
We are both travellers & vacationers and found this past week satisfied our tastes for both.
We were fortunate to spend the week with a terrific group, composed of family & friends ... it was truly memorable.

Room Tip: 135-151 inclusive Beautiful views
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I just want to begin by saying that I LOVE the island of Roatan. I am a Canadian who has now lived in Honduras for the past 2 years (on the mainland) and like to spend most of my long weekends and holidays on the island (have stayed on the island a total of 9 times). During my most recent trip I stayed at the Media Luna with a girlfriend. Like most people have said, the rooms are gorgeous and the grounds are alright but thats where the positive ends. I have never written a negative review and have enjoyed the other hotels I have styed at greatly. However I could not help but write a review after this joke of a holiday, so here goes....

1) Sunwing advertises this resort as 18+, this is simply false advertising. The moment we arrived I was shocked to see children EVERYWHERE, seemed more like a Chucky Cheese than an adults resort. The hotel's main client is an Italian Charter company, so 99 percent of the resort (literally) is filled with Italian families.

2 The location of this resort is good if you are looking to be completely isolated with no real chance to see the island (atleast affordably. The resort is on a part of the island which is very far from where all the attractions and fun are.If you want to go into town for dinner or go to the nice beach (West Bay) you will be paying an arm and a leg. Other hotels are nicer and way better locations.....try the Mayan Princess or Infinity Bay. Even the oldest people at the resort were saying that 3 days was enough at this place because of the extreme isolation. The island is too beautiful to be tucked away so far from all the island has to offer.

3 I have been to many 'all-inclusive' resorts, this resort does just the bare minimum to call it an "all-inclusive". For example, drinks are served in tiny plastic shot glasses (not an exageration) we asked if we could have our own cups filled that we brought and were told that it was impossible. So the whole time we were at the resort we were forced to make a silly amount of trips back and forth from the bar (whoch is quite far from the pool and ocean). We were only allowed one drink at a time, so there was no getting drinks for another people hahah

4 I understand that when you stay at an all-inclusived the food is never going to be 5 star or even 3 star most of the time. However I have NEVER experienced a hotel that offered the quality of food this resort did with a straight face. The chef and resort should be absolutely ashamed. We were literally served rolled up bologna for breakest and lunch...ohhh and cut up peices of hot dog weiner (everyday!!!!!!!!!). It seemed to me that I saw the same dishes re-served over entire stay. The food was just plain offensive!

5 Our Sunwing representives were absolutely rediculous. I have never seen such unprofessional behaviour and lack of competence.......... Not going into details but Patrick was an absolute joke. When we contacted him to discuss some of our concerns he told us he would call back After a coupld hours of waiting we called back to find that he had turned his phone off hahaha

6 After 10-11ish the resort is absolutely dead, and with it being so isolated this can sometimes make you been stranded and trapped if you dont feel like going to bed with all the Blue-Hairds haha

In short, Ilove Roatan and will continue to go back, but NEVER again to this pathetic resort!

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER

Room Tip: Get a room at another hotel.......
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel is gorgeous. The rooms are fantastic and even though the surrounding grounds are beautiful and you want to be out enjoying the sun, the room is so wonderful you will find you also want to lounge in there as well. The showers are spectacular with a window to look out at the beautiful ocean while you shower. The attention to detail in the room is amazing. The grounds are well maintained with lovely tropical flowers everywhere. The beach is nice with sandy spots to swim in. There are kayaks available to use for free. The lounging furniture around the pools was very comfortable esepcially the outside beds.
The staff at the resort are kind and helpful. The entertainment staff were always friendly as well as all the bar and restaurant staff.
Where it goes downhill is the food. It was TERRIBLE. Rolled up lunch meat and mini hot dogs are not acceptable ever, let alone 3 times a day. The food had NO flavour. I have never been so disappointed in food in a resort ever. Bland potatoes, bland meat, or lunch meat. Pasta every night with what seemed a tin of canned tomatoes as sauce. Pizza as snack with no sauce. This chef is supposed to be from Italy, I don't think he's ever tasted good food a day in his life. This resort is so secluded that you can't really leave to find something else to eat. I would not stay here again on account of the food. We were there for 5 days and that was more than enough eating that bland food. There were a number of guests sharing the same complaint around the pool. It's disappointing that instead of enjoying the beautiful surroundings people felt too bloated to enjoy themselves from all the bland pasta. Sometimes there was iceburg lettuce, but then no dressing. UGH. This resort needs to get their act together about their food.
Also, be aware that this resort is supposed to be 18 and over. That is not the case. The Italian operaters sell the resort to families so it was FILLED with kids taking over the pool. There are a lot of Italians that visit this resort so many of the shows are in Italian.
I also have to mention that the Sunwing reps were quite incompetent and unprofessional. They both had meltdowns either in front of us or on the phone. Promised us an extra night at a certain price and then could not follow through with that promise. When they told us to stay in the lobby and they would call us back they did not return our calls and actually TURNED OFF THEIR PHONE. Leaving us to spend 2.5 hours sitting in the lobby before we could make other arrangements.

Room Tip: All rooms are gorgeous, but the best view would be in the 140's. You have the view of the ocean...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Media Luna Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!