“Unique snorkeling experience” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 20 Attractions in Roatan
Type: Museums
More attraction details
Owner description: An awesome snorkeling adventure at the depth of a swimming pool. The Bay Islands Underwater Museum will take you on a guided snorkel tour of one of the most beautiful reefs in the Caribbean and so much more! Discover Mayan artifacts, a Spanish Galleon ship wreck and the Treasure Chest. See the traditional lobster and conch fishing gear used by the Garifuna people. This is fun for the whole family. The Bay Islands Underwater Museum is an experience you will never forget. Don´t forget to bring cash for beberages and our famous Enzo Pepperoni Pizza, cooked in our adobe mud oven! Birng a towel and beach foot wear for walking on the sand and dock area. All snorkling gear, boat transportation to the site from our dock and a briefing about the museum are included. You will have the best local guides to show you the reef and the marine life!
Nashville
68 attraction reviews
“Unique snorkeling experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked the snorkeling through my cruise ship's excursion, but there were people there who had booked this independently. I've been snorkeling a lot, but this is the first time I've seen museum items.

A guide picked us up and on the way to the place to get started talked to us about Roatan and the people and way of life. He also handed out a map of what we would see when we began snorkeling, going from the docking area to the pre-Colombian era, the colonial era and the modern era.

You can check all your items in a locker, then walk across what I thought was a very long bridge. The reason it felt long was because I had checked my glasses in the locker and also there was about 1/4" space between the wooden slats. I thought we were never going to get to the dock!

We got geared up, and don't worry if you're new, there are 3 guides there to help you get fixed up with the masks and fins and snorkeling things. Once everyone's in the water, they wait a little for everyone to get used to things, then one guide leads the way and another stays in the back. You just keep an eye on the white float and holler if you need any help (but doubtful you will).

Along the way, the guides will find cool sea life, grab them and let you pet them or hold them. One of the guides just grabbed my underwater camera and took off (I didn't realize it was a guide at first and it really startled me), then he started taking photos for me. The pictures came back really good and clear.

The only negative about this experience is that I was hoping to see more colorful fish, but it is what it is.

I heard other people talking about snorkeling in Cozumel and how choppy and wavy the waters were. I was glad I did my snorkeling in Roatan where the waters were relatively calm. The water is very salty so you don't have to worry about staying afloat!

After we got back to land and I felt better when I got my glasses back on, we got to eat pizza (I think it was $2 for a big slice) which is oven baked in an open oven, and have beer or water. Maybe Cokes....I don't remember but I'm sure if they had beer and water, they had sodas.

You can walk up and down the little strip of beach, too. If you're looking out at the water, then turn right and go in that direction as it's prettier. Take your camera for that short walk.

Most people just sat in chairs or laid out in the lounge chairs and relaxed.

I absolutely loved this excursion and highly recommend the professionalism of the company.

Visited February 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“New One For The Bucketlist!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

From the moment your eyes capture the beauty of this seashore paradise until the moment you departure this safe haven, your life’s pleasures will be at an all-time high. This amazing adventure will definitely be an unforgettable experience of learning, discovery, challenge, and relaxation at this secret treasure only found in Roatan, Honduras. My girlfriend and I, Washingtonians, decided to getaway during the cold months to enjoy her birthday as well as a tropical getaway. Bay Islands Underwater Museum’s great staff, friendly tour guides, fabulous facility and awesome food/beverages were above and beyond what we imagined! A MUST SEE!!!

spokane Valley, Washington, USA
“I wanna live there too!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Roatan was one of our stops on our recent Princess Cruise. My husband & I had been to Roatan once before and rented a car to see the island. This time we took our whole family (4 adults, 1 baby), rented a car & headed out to see the sites. We opted to do the underwater museum on our own instead of through the ship's excursion...boy, are we glad we did!! We arrived after the last cruise group was just leaving. Tulio & his crew were incredibly accomodating and took 4 of us out to the snorkel area while my daughter, myself and the baby played on the beach. Christina and Tulio made this such a perfect day. The stone oven pizza was so yummy too. After spending the majority of our day there we were ready to move to Roatan ourselves. I can't stress enough how amazing these people are! Thank you Tulio & Christina & crew!!

Visited February 2013
New Jersey
39 attraction reviews
“Wonders in Roatan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The snorkeling was easy and so much fun. If you are a beginner the owner will give you personal attention throughout the day. The guides were SO NICE. They spent one-on-one time with everyone and pointed out interesting fish, shells, and coral formations. We had an underwater camera and one of the guides dove underwater and took close up pictures of us and underwater scenes. We couldn't have had a better day. Thank you for making our trip so special.

roatan
13 attraction reviews
“wow the sights are wonderful”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

When on roatan this is an attraction not to miss. The staff does an excellent job of ensuring that each and every guest has a great time.