“Excellent Dives, Staff and Kayak Experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 152 activities in Roatan
Type: Water sports
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We are PADI 5 Star Dive Center and Green Star Award Winner located on the north side of Roatan, Honduras, at Turquoise Bay Resort catering to multiple hotels, vacation rental homes and cruise ship visitors. We are offering Scuba diving and lessons, snorkeling, kayaking and other Watersports as weekly packages or day excursions. Enjoy diving or snorkeling on our private dive sites. Only a short boat ride away you find amazing dive/snorkel sites with drop offs, canyons, swim troughs and the Caribbean's biggest variety of coral and sponges. PADI Divemasters guide all dives.Enjoy valet diving and the personal attention and best customer service you deserve.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
San Francisco, California
“Excellent Dives, Staff and Kayak Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just spent a week in Roatan. By some stroke of luck, I ended up diving and kayaking with Subway Watersports next to Turquoise Bay Resort. I have been kayaking and diving in over 10 countries in the last 5 years, and my experience with Subway was one of the best!

The location: Awesome. Only 5 – 15 minutes to over a dozen dive sites. They are all so different, absolutely beautiful and unpopulated – in fact, we were the only divers in the area as far as the eye could see. Huge bonus, as it’s no fun when there are loads of groups around.

The boats: Very clean, lively/fun with music and a comfortable set up. The only complaint I have was the diesel fumes that came out of the back. But Honduras is a 3rd world country, what can I expect?

The staff: I want to mention a few names that made my experience especially enjoyable. First, the manager Kimberly is a complete sweetheart. She is very patient, kind and helpful. She seemed to really care not only about me and my wellbeing, but all of the guests that came in to dive. I felt like I was a part of the group at Subway, and as a solo traveler that is a delight. Her office assistant was smiling and helpful as well.

My divemaster was Osmen. His energy and demeanor was consistently positive. He communicated to the group well about where we were going, what we needed to do and what creatures we should look out for. I noticed he, too, tuned into the individual needs of the guests and really made it fun for everyone. We had a lot of fun lionfish hunting and he took us to great places all over the reef.

Third, the dive master interns at the resort were a pleasure to dive and spend time with. I especially enjoyed spending time with Rhami. He is very present, kind, professional and attentive. I know he is going to be an excellent dive master one day! A huge bonus was his ability to take us out on kayaks. He always made me feel safe while out on the open water. We discovered new places and had a great time doing it! I can only imagine all of the future guests who will be pleased to spend some of their precious vacation time alongside Rhami.

My only regret is that I didn’t dive more! Thank you Subway, I hope to return someday.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Good dive trio from cruise ship”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Stopped in Roatan for a day two weeks ago and used Subway for a two tank dive. It was on,y me and the dive master who was very professional. The on,y downside is that it was about a 30-40 minute drive to the shop. In hindsight I would try to find a closer place. If staying a few nights on Roatan their shop was great.

Bettendorf, IA
10 attraction reviews
“Excellent Snorkel Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This attraction is on the quieter Northern shore of Roatan on beautiful Turquoise Bay.

This not being a part of the cruise package, we met our driver on the other side of the road from the cruise terminal among a number of other attraction drivers. He drove us (comfortably in an air conditioned van) for about 30 minutes to the Subway Watersports building on the North side of the island. After getting fitted with snorkel gear, most of our group left in a motorboat to go to their first snorkel spot. My wife and I chose to kayak among the mangroves for the first half of the adventure instead. Following that, we met the boat at the dock and joined the original group for a second round of snorkeling in a different location than the first.

The snorkeling has lots of diverse and colorful coral formations compared to Key West where we normally snorkel. I didn't see any large fish (barracuda, tarpon, sharks), but there were a lot of smaller, colorful fish including starfish and colorful flounder.

The mangrove kayak was enjoyable for the kayaking, but the mangrove wasn't very interesting. I'd suggest doing the 2-stop snorkel option rather than the kayak/snorkel one.

I would definitely suggest this as an attraction to see in Roatan because:
The ride to the site is comfortable and interesting.
The staff is friendly, helpful, and competent
These is a beautiful beach at the site
The coral reef is only about ten minutes from the pier
The coral reef and inhabitants are very good
It is secluded and not crowded at all
Being a dive center, they handle scuba outings also

north toronto
4 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Experience!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We travelled Jan 7-14,2013
Let me start by saying that we are a family of 4 ( with a 13 and 10 year old) who specifically picked Subway to complete our Open Water referall due to previous trip advisor reports.
We had a fantastic experience
Ed ( Kimberlie was away till partially through the week) came and found us on our first day and told us we would be paired with DM Darren and dive master intern Christin. It couldn't of been a better match . Darren was a great DM. He was patient, helpfull and was never pushing to complete another dive if someone didn't feel good or was tired. Christin was always there and always helpfull. My 10 year old son took to it like he was a fish. He would of followed Darren anywhere under that oceon. My daughter initially had some ear equalization issues in which Darren and Christin helped her through to the point it became a non issue on later dives. I myself had some bouyancy issues in which we adjusted my weights and as I learned how to using my breathing properly it also became a non issue. All our gear was stored in a dive locker for us and was usually already on the boat when we went out to dive. Almost all of our dives were on the Lady Rose with Bruce as the captain. He's calm and was always helpfull when we were gearing up and entering and exiting the water. After our dives there was always fresh water and pinapple.On our fourth open water dive Christen agreed to take my underwater camera out for me( I was not using it until I was certified and I was more comfortable with my bouyancy). She did a great job which have perserved great memories. I got to take the camera for a spin on our fifth and sixth dives. My husband also had a dive with Renee and Osman.All total we completed a pool dive and 6 oceon dives each. It just wasn't enough , but we had run out of time before we had to come home to the snow.We also completed the project aware course while we were there in which Renee guided us through.
Ed also arranged for us to have our very own driver , Harlen, for the day to take us wherever we wanted. Gumblalimba Park, West End and to see Joseph ; who we dropped a bag of donated things we brought from home .
I just want to say a big Thankyou to Ed, Kimberlie, Verlyn ( she loves chocolate people),DM Renee, dive master intern Andrew, Bruce, DM Osman , DM Darren and dive master intern Christen. ( extra hug for dive master intern Christen and DM Darren)
You"ve made it a great experience and if we could we would be coming back on the next plane out of Toronto.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Reef Snorkel by boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This was my very first snorkeling experience and I'm going to be hard pressed to top it. The staff on shore and in the boat (JT, Denis, Verlyn and Ed) were friendly, extremely knowledgeable, helpful and fun. The reef was just minutes from the dive shop and was amazing. So many beautiful, live corals and a lot of beautiful fish! On our second trip out, we swam 'over the wall' where the reef drops off. Each time we went out with only 4 other snorkelers so we were a total of 8 people with our excellent guide Denis.

The resort that contained the dive shop (Turquoise Bay Dive & Beach Resort) looked wonderful, too. Not super fancy, but clean and in a beautiful location. We would definitely consider coming back and spending a week here.