“Beautiful, relaxing, fun for everyone in family” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 20 Attractions in Roatan
Type: Beaches, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: 11.5 acre private island conveniently located just three minutes across the bay from the Roatan cruise pier and 15 minutes away from Mahogany Bay Cruise Pier. This pristine island features two secluded beaches, excellent snorkeling from a scenic pier, a 70,000 gallon swimming pool, 5,000 square foot lounge deck, lush garden paths bursting with indigenous flora and most recently an animal rescue center, artisan plaza and Roatan's finest cultural attraction, The Bay Island's Interpretation Center and Ethnic Honduran Art Exhibit Center.
Richmond Hill, Georgia
27 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, relaxing, fun for everyone in family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We booked this through a Carnival cruise, and it was really well done and worthwhile. We're a family of 7 with kids from 4-19 and I wanted something we could do that would be fun for all.

The boat ride was quick and fun. We were some of the first people on the island and they recommended we try snorkeling first (it's better viewing in the morning) so we did. Everyone except my two little ones enjoyed that. My 8 year old gave up after 5 minutes and went to the beach to dig in the sand. I had no qualms with letting her do that while we continued to snorkel as I could still see her from the reef. I towed the 4 year old around with me, which he enjoyed. In some spots of the reef we were bit by tiny aquatic creatures (water fleas), but only in certain places so if you changed your locale in the water they went away. Older kids snorkeled for a while. Others came back, grabbed some lounge chairs and spent the rest of the time relaxing and reading on the beach. A very few bugs (sand fleas) bit us briefly but it definitely wasn't an issue and no one needed bug spray or even noticed them.

Yes, the airplanes come zooming overhead every so often but we like planes so it didn't bother us and my 15 year old who fell asleep never noticed a thing. When the kids were tired of snorkeling they checked out the animals and demos and mayan ruins. Basically they could run all over the island wherever they wanted and I didn't worry about it. There isn't anywhere to go. Even when more people came later on it didn't feel crowded.

Our excursion came with lunch which was excellent. My kids are pretty picky but the fresh food with fish sticks (not boxed!) and BBQ chicken was really good and they all ate it happily.

The staff were helpful and friendly, and the variety of programs they have really make this a worthwhile visit. I would happily come back to Maya Key as I didn't get to see or do everything I wanted due to the cruise ship time constraints. This was a great excursion and a wonderful day spent with a family having a wide variety of ages.

Only off note: There are signs explaining to people about reef etiquette, etc, but they DO NOT do a good job of enforcing/explaining to people about how to snorkel without damaging the reef. We saw a lot of damaged reef area and careless people while we snorkeling and no one says anything to them. No one says anything before you get in the water (there are helpers at the end of the pier). Since this is a reserve-type place I would think they would put more effort into conserving this beautiful natural resource.

Phoenix, Arizona
53 attraction reviews
“Beautiful 11 acre paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spent the day on Maya Key swimming, snorkeling, walking around the island. Lovely spot although the water wasn't as blue as we expected. The restaurant food was really good too. I love that the island is a wildlife sactuary. You can see monkeys in the trees and other animals that have been rescued. I would highly recommend spending some time on Maya key. Lots to do for such a little place.

Salisbury, North Carolina
79 attraction reviews
“Fun Beach Day with a Sea Lion Encounter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Visited this private island while on a Norwegian Dawn cruise. Soon after arriving, I signed up for the Sea Lion Encounter. One of the trainers escorted me into a caged area to meet "Ting", one of three recused sea lions. I got to do hugs, flipper shakes, pats and a sea lion kiss (well, actually, Ting likes to blow in a person's ear - but in a friendly way). Very glad I did this encounter. My wife and I relaxed at the beach, had a good buffet lunch featuring fresh caught sea bass. We did a little swimming and then took the guided walk through the wildlife rehabilitation area and the mayan archeological reproduction area. I certainly recommend this Roatan excursion.

Visited December 2012
Dallas, Texas
12 attraction reviews
“Pristine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent the day here while on a cruise. The guides were easy to find at the meeting point and had our names on a list. We took a double-decker boat to Maya Key which took about 15 minutes. Once at the pier everyone was given instructions on the day's optional events and then sent out on their own. The first thing I noticed was how immaculate the grounds were. Not only at the beach, but also on the interior of the island in the woods we could see the rake marks in the sand. Not a piece of trash in site. As others have said, the snorkel gear is not included in the price, which is misleading due to the title of the excursion. It was between $14-16 without a life vest. Though the key is small, there is much to do and it is not crowded. The locker rooms/bathrooms were surprisingly clean as well. The snorkeling dock is on top of the reef so good snorkeling is easy to find. The animal conservation area was interesting - more like a zoo. While relaxing on the beach, no salespeople approach you; however, one man asked us if we'd like to experience an animal encounter. We were able to hold a small crocodile (alligator?) and a monkey. There is also a sea lion feeding, but we missed it. Lunch was average and consisted of barbecue chicken or fried fish with rice and beans. The banana chips were great, like french fries. The fauna around the key is beautiful. Around lunch time we noticed multiple small red circles on our legs with bright reds dots in the middle (sand fleas?). Maybe this could have been prevented with bug spray? All in all, an excellent way to spend a day in Roatan. Complete relaxation.

New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Located directly across from the NCL mooring but a half hour bus ride from Mahagony Bay, this outing may be a better choice for NCL customers. I was unpleasantly surprised to be informed that Maya Key did not provide towels, and that the snorkel equipment was not included in the Carnival excursion charge (should have read the fine print). Our greeter was grumpy and morning visitors will exprience VERY low flying (treetop) airplanes on approach to land at the airport. There was lots of garbage floating in the water on the bay side upon arrival but in their defence much of this mess was cleaned up as the day went on. Highlights included fantastic flora, landscaping, buffet lunch with local fare and ice cold SALVA VIDAS. Considering how beautiful Roatan is, there must be better beach excursions.

Visited December 2012