“Great food, bring your wallet.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 178 Restaurants in Roatan
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Ooloonthoo Indian Cuisine Restaurant opened its doors as the first and only Indian restaurant in Honduras on September 2, 2005. Ooloonthoo, the Tamil word for the lentil from which pappadums are made, is located on the main road to Sandy Bay, just outside of West End, Roatan, Honduras. Ooloonthoo is a small boutique style restaurant situated on a hill with a panoramic sunset ocean view. We are open year round, by reservation only.
“Great food, bring your wallet.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Like most of the other reviews I have only positive things to say about the flavor of the food, the ambiance and the service. Very personal service and the menu was not limited to what was written down. Overall I would recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars

Westborough, Massachusetts
“Positively unbelievable... in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Up a hill, off the main road, on an island in the Caribbean that most have never heard of sits a tastefully decorated open air patio with a West-facing view of Roatan's Half Moon Bay and post card sunsets. The patio is home to the only Indian restaurant in Honduras... and possibly the best Indian cuisine you will ever experience. It was for me, and I have lived in London and travelled extensively throughout Asia and India.

The service was fantastic and the atmosphere was incredible, but the food was unbelievable. As a party of three, we ordered different appetizers and different entrees and each tried a bit of everything. The variety and complexity of the flavors is what I will remember most. From smooth Tikka Korma to Kashmiri Red Lamb Rogan Gosht to Spicy Goan Vindaloo, each spice had a purpose, the heat built but didn't overpower and the sides complemented the mains wonderfully. We started with three excellent appetizers (Beef Kofta Balls, Curried Calamari and Pappadums) and finished with a homemade Berry Sorbet that was a perfect end to a truly incredible meal/experience.

If you get a chance - take it. But call well in advance. Soden and Paul only seat by reservation. And if you have a larger group, say 6-12, ask about putting together a Sunset Tasting Menu. You will not be disappointed.

World-class Indian cuisine on an island off the coast of Honduras. Who would believe it?

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Dennis H
London, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"Possibly the best indian ..... outside of Glasgow!!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Paul and Soden, owners and operators will make you feel at home in their beautiful bali style restaurant/home. Experance possibly some of the nicest indian food you will ever try. I don't know how they pull this off considering they are on an island and most things have to be imported, yes it is more expensive than other places on the island but it will not disappoint and you will leave very very happy!

Visited October 2011
1 Thank Nick C
Vancouver, BC
“Wonderful food and service with a spectacular view.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm a huge fan of Indian food and was not disappointed. The food was delicious and the service amazing. I would definitely recommend this restaurant. You must call ahead for reservations as they don't have a regular schedule of when they're open. I would look forward to going again the next time
I'm in Roatan.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Sharon D
Texas
“Just OK, not worth the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

It really pains me to write a negative review, because the service at this restaurant is so great and friendly and the atmosphere unique. However, I feel like I have to give fair warning about my experience. I was really looking forward to eating here and we saved it for one of our last nights. The appetizers were pretty good, the entrees large and tasty (although a little spicy even though she told us they were mild) and the fresh sorbet very good. The bottle of wine we bought -- at $55 -- was honestly one of the worst bottles of wine I've ever had. I would have preferred Yellowtail or box wine over this, it was hard to even choke it down. The atmosphere of the restuarant -- you are essentially eating on the owner's patio -- makes it so that you feel like you are a guest in thier house and can't really complain or send back a bottle like you might if you were in a traditional restaurant setting. There is also not even a ceiling fan outside, so it was pretty warm and muggy and at $5 per bottled water, pretty expensive. Overall, our bill came out to $185 for two meals, plus the wine, 1 bottled water and dessert, tip included. When you add in the taxi drive to get there, it was a pretty expesnive night. I would instead recommend Tang's or Vintage Pearl.

Visited June 2012