“The Perfect "Get away from it all" location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Bo Bush's Island House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guanaja
Bo Bush's Island House
Honduras   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Guanaja B&B and Inns
Estacada, OR
“The Perfect "Get away from it all" location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Bo's Island House was even better than we anticipated! The setting is lovely, jungle behind, empty beaches in front and a gorgeous sunset every day. Bo's wife Marta is an exceptional cook and a lovely person. She became a second mother to us during our stay. Every meal was delicious, fresh and organic. We were disappointed to find that Bo was away from the island during our time there. We had looked forward to meeting him. Evidently his daughter runs things a little bit differently than him. We were surprised to get a bill for the use of the kayak and fins and a book of matches. We had understood from their website that these items were gratis. This added up to an equivalent of about $12 so I am not complaining of the cost, just that we had not expected to pay for those things. The whole family is welcoming and friendly. We played jump rope with the kids and walked the beach with the family dogs. We enjoyed every minute of our stay! If you are going to Guanaja don't miss out on Bo's place. Even if you stay elsewhere you should spend a day at Bo's beautiful beach.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

This place is remote (which is what we liked about it). It takes some time to get to, via little flight to Guanaja, then a short trip in the boat, maybe 30mins (Bo picks you up). No cars, no restaurants/shops in walking distance, so expect quiet/peaceful/nature/romantic, with lots of fun to be had at Bo's. Bo and his family are wonderful, friendly hosts, and Bo is an excellent story teller if you engage him in conversation at the bar. The ocean there is magnificent. Food was delicious. The lodging was tasteful and everything we needed. For fun we camped for a night down the beach (we brought our new tent and had been wanting to try it out), but we missed the comforts of Bo's and stayed in our room for the rest of the week. We really had the beach and ocean all to ourselves. We had fun using the kayaks, hiking on trails, laying around and in hammocks reading, playing cards with one another, just enjoying being in the moment and taking in the beauty. The diving was definitely worthwhile.

At the time we were there a few years ago (January 2006), the scuba equipment was in fairly used condition. I was glad I was with my husband (then boyfriend) who is an experienced diver. We went on some brilliant dives. Bo is a lovely man, but I don't think I would have wanted to learn how to dive from him, or be a new diver and have him be my only buddy (I tend to be extra cautious and like lots of "hand holding" when I dive, which, luckily my boyfriend could provide for me). But Bo led us to stunning places, and after that week, I felt much more confident w/ my diving skills.

I hope this place stays undiscovered... once during the week there was a group of passing by obnoxious, entitled men (from the U.S.)- basically grown frat boys, loudly talking about exploiting young Honduran woman. The good thing was they only stopped at Bo's via boat for lunch and weren't there longer. Also seeing a photo posted on here of a passing by cruise ship makes me worried that places like this will only exist unspoiled for so long.... My husband and I have been dreaming about going back and hope to sometime soon. We considered taking our honeymoon there, but decided to try someplace new instead. I do miss Bo's and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

My family and I have been going to Guanaja since 2006. We first discovered Guanaja on our way to Roatan. We thought we would visit for a few days on Guanaja and then go to Roatan. But our plans changed for the better. We never made it to Roatan.
The Island House is the first place we every stayed at on Guanaja. We fell in love with people, the diving, the Island lifestyle etc. I can not really say enough about this resort; Bo Bush and his entire family will welcome you in like a friend not just a guest. We have stayed here numerous times over the last few years and every trip has always been a pleasure. We truly enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the surroundings. The Island House is located on the North side of Guanaja tucked up against the mountains. Amazing hiking, waterfalls and the ocean are steps away at any moment you desire.
Some of the best diving in the Caribbean is a 5 minute boat ride away from the dock. Every time we have been there I have dove with either just Bo alone or maybe a person or two. Never a crowd. The Sea was alive with many different types of corals and fish. Best dives I have ever been on.
The main part of the resort is situated over the water. You get to enjoy a meal, a drink or a book perched up over the water with endless ocean views.
At meal times, you are called to the dining area by a bell. You can sit by yourself or sit amongst the other guests and enjoy everyone’s stories for the day. Over the years we have met many folks that we are still friends with and now vacation with regularly.
The rooms are very clean, the food you will be served will be a delicious local cuisine and never the same thing, the entire experience will be a memorable one.
I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away from the masses. This place is absolutely great for the outdoor adventurer or the people looking to relax, sit back and read a book. We also travel with two small children and the Island House is very accommodating for kids of all ages. There is plenty to do between the beach, ocean, the big grass lawn and the amenities offered.
We have stayed here many times and have been meaning to post a review from the first time we stayed. The prices are very reasonable as well. You will not regret going to Guanaja and the Island House.

Regards,
Dan and family

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

After reading other reviews, Bo's sounded like a low-key, relaxing dive vacation destination away from crowds and resorts my husband and I were looking for. Like everyone else said if you want a million activities at a large resort with dinning options, AC and a whirlpool bath tub, this isn't for you. If you want UNBELIEVABLE diving, delicious home cooked meals, seclusion away from crowds, and quiet hiking and snorkeling then you should really book a trip. We did need the bug spray we bought, but the was about the only downside we could find. We will definitely be going back. Can't say enough great things about Bo and his family.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

From the moment I read of Guanaja and saw Bo's website I knew that this was the place for me. I did not want to stay on Roatan with its plethora of other tourists and cruise-ship day-trippers. Neither did I want the backpacker scene of Utila. While planning my trip, the staff (Bo's family, namely his daughter Catherine) was very helpful and accomodating in my booking arrangements.
Upon stepping off the cold-war era airplane at the airport in Guanaja and meeting Bo at the dock, I knew I was in for a relaxing, laid back vacation. Upon arriving at Bo's Island House, I was informed that I happened to be the only guest for the week. (I can't describe how ecsatic I was upon learning this!)
The accomodations were neat, clean, and comfortable; there is no air conditioning, but there are fans. The verdant, manicured grounds are abundant with tropical flora and fauna. Feel free to pick a ripe mango from one of the mango trees on the property. The delicious, home cooked meals are taken at the Green Flash Bar located at the end of the dock situated over the water. I spent my mornings diving with Bo. He was a great underwater guide taking me to some of his favorite dive sites, my favorite being Tito's Labyrinth. If you're a non-diver you can spend your days hiking, exploring the island, swimming or snorkeling in the beautifully clear water, or just laying on the vacant beaches. Not to be missed are the spectacular sunsets at the close of each day while enjoying a Honduran brew. The only downside to my vacation were the many sandflies. Be sure to pack lots of bug spray. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my vacation spent at Bo's Island House thanks to Bo and his family!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
mystic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

Not for everone, but our kind of place. Laid back atmosphere, comfortable, friendly. Great snorkeling, diving, fishing.. No cell or internet but that is what we were looking for. 3 yummy home cooked meals a day. Long walks on the beach, great hike up to the waterfall. We will definitely going back. All in all, we think it is the best place on the island

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
The Dalles, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

We headed to Bo's Island House on Guanaja for a change of pace after enjoying visits to Roatán and Utila on a previous trip. The diving was part of the attraction and it really was fabulous - all the sites within a few minutes of the lodge and teeming with color and life, no 2 alike. Bo was an excellent diving companion - he's practically a fish and his ears equilize on their own after 5000+ dives. The week we were there we were the only visitors and enjoyed our meals with family members and staff.

Our cabin was very spacious and comfortable with plenty of hot water. Only downsides were mosquitoes in the room and construction of a new hurricane-proof building right next door - not sure why they didn't give us a room further from the construction but it didn't bother us enough to request to move.

In addition to diving we enjoyed a hike to a nearby waterfall and my husband fished for bonefish with decent success. The snorkeling from shore was really phenomenal.

In spite of being basically leveled by Hurricane Mitch in 1998, Guanaja is green and beautiful. Transportation is by boat as there are no roads to speak of. Island House is on the north side of the island. We visited the main town, Bonacca, for banking and again enroute to Graham's Place which is south of the main island - it's an interesting, packed-in, gritty town on a small island where most of Guanaja's population resides.

I highly recommend Bo's Island House to people looking for a quiet get-away for diving and snorkeling.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Bo Bush's Island House? Share your experiences!