“A good choice” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Quetzaltenango
Washingt
“A good choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

I'm not giving four stars simply because the shower had no water. Now I can handle cold showers, but I want to pay cold-shower prices for that kind of place. I told the woman at the front desk and she said she'd look into it, but that didn't change the temperature of the shower. I was able to use a glass and the very hot water from the sink to wash myself in the shower...i know, I know...no visuals.. I'm just sayin'.

My room was off the main lobby area, so it was a bit noisy. On night in particular an elderly woman was singing to some children. I wasn't real happy.

The staff was a bit overly cordial. The kitchen staff was a more welcoming, but I only ate breakfasts there, which, by the way, were pretty good. Certainly very filling.

In spite of the bar and restaurant, I didn't get the feeling that I was really settled during my three day stay. There was no one in either the bar or the restaurant most of the time, so rather than go and have a nightcap to look though my photos or talk with a local about what to see in town, I simply retired for the evening.

The room was clean and comfortable. I'm not picky, though. As long as there are no bed bugs, I'm happy. This room was clean. Oh...there was a coffee pot with coffee waiting for me every day. Great! This alone make me give the hotel a four rather than a three.

The staff was very helpful for making sure I could make my taxi to the the bus to get back to Guatemala City. They know the distances and how long it will take to get from A to B.

BEST: A staff member got me a taxi to take me to some local towns for about 200 Q. This taxi driver was a fantastic guide (Brian?). He and I got along well; he showed me some off-the-beaten-path places I never would have seen alone. This was a highlight of my who adventure.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms directly off of the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Is the best choice that me and my family could pic and is full recommended for everyone that want to rest and have a perfect vacation.

It has a perfect location at downtown with good restaurants and places to shop.

The old fashion style is perfect because it preserves the simplicity like being at home.

The food is like made by grandma and is perfect and the service is 5 stars!!!

Stayed January 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

The staff were courteous and the ladies in the kitchen were fantastic. I spent three nights here and they cooked whatever I wanted, regardless of the menu.

Easy walk to the main square and there are lots of restaurants around it. The place has been a hotel for more than a century. The decor was befitting a hotel with that pedigree, in my opinion.

Ask for an interior room and not one on the street, but it doesn't make that much difference. Like any hotel in a downtown area in Latin America you are going to get street noise early in the morning, no matter which room you are in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Madrid
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Old hotel with rooms around 2 patios. The staff is very friendly. We arrived without a reservation and could get a room for the night, situated at the patio furthest from reception. A bit later, they could confirm we could stay a second night. Breakfast - with a fresh juice - included. When we arrived, the person at reception gave us a list of included items in price (also parking), so when we said we didn´t have a car, we got a discount of 10% (but we needed to indicate it to the person at reception when checking out, as it hadn´t been recorded). Very well located in town.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the patio nearest to reception : it´s quieter, safer and wifi reception is bett...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Antigua, Guatemala
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Modelo for one night. The manager (Jose?) was very nice. My bus arrived in the evening, and he was kind enough to send a taxi to pick me up. That was nice.

Next, I requested a "quiet room" and was put in a room NEXT TO the kitchen, and across from the hotel restaurant. It was anything BUT quiet.

The room was tidy and basic. Unfortunately, the bed was ROCK HARD and I woke up with severe lower back pain the next day.

At about 630 am I was awakened by VERY LOUD clanging and banging noises from the kitchen. I could hear staff laughing and talking, cooking, etc. I could also hear guests in the dining room. Not exactly the “quiet” room that I had hoped for.

After breakfast I went back to the room to shower and there was NO hot water. I understand that this happens in Xela (and I live in Guatemala so I do know that “things happen”) but at the "#1 Trip Advisor rated" hotel? Seriously?

I decided to find another hotel and checked out of Modelo that morning. When I told Jose about the rock hard bed, noise and lack of hot water, he shrugged and said, "Yeah, we've been having problems with the hot water lately." Why didn’t he tell me that to begin with?

He didn't offer, but I asked for a discount. He charged me $38 for the night instead of $50.

I do not plan to stay at Modelo again because it's not good value and I felt like the staff didn't care. Yes, it's in the center of town, but if you prefer to get a good night’s sleep, I recommend staying away from the center of town.

I eventually ended up at Casa San Bartolome, about a 7 minute walk to the center of town. It was an AMAZING place. I can't say enough nice things about it. Almost half the price of Modelo and twice as nice.

The bottom line is this: you don't have to stay in the center to enjoy Xela. Staying a few minutes away will be less expensive and more restful. Xela is easy to get around by foot, taxi or bus.

If you DO choose to stay at Hotel Modelo ask to see several rooms (if possible). Test the beds and ask if they have hot water.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very few hotels in the world have the spirit of true hospitality, when you feel like you are at home. Here I felt wholeheartedly welcomed.
The hotel is proudly owned by the same family for four generations! Here you will see the owners dining together with guests, chatting with you and trying their best to make your stay not just comfortable, but pleasant.
Considering the surroundings, you may give a little discount for some minor... peculiarities, like no shampoo in the room (you can get one at the reception). Beds are on a harder side, but within reason.
What is truly charming is the interior... Real spirit of Latin America, you can easily forget that we are in 21 century and imagine yourself to be an explorer in this mysterious and beautiful country.
Restaurant serves good food, more of home-style cooking, also very pleasant and tasty.
Personally, I am very much looking forward to returning to this hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Panajachel, Guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

If you want to stay in the city of Quetzaltenango here one of the best, close to the central park, a big colonial house, with restaurant, little garden, big rooms, very good prices, very good service, if you are going in to a hike the next morning they make your boxlunch! Manuel a super nice person and oll of them, great service!

Room Tip: if you want really hote water, you will not found it in any place of the city dont look for an other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Modelo? Share your experiences!