“This is a destination in itself!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel del Norte

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Barrios
Hotel del Norte
You added Hotel del Norte to your Saves list
7a Calle and 1a Avenida, Puerto Barrios 18001, Guatemala   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“This is a destination in itself!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The moment I stepped into the atmospheric old building, I was in love with it. My room was very basic but the price was also basic. Brightly painted and clean. Cold water showers in the old building and a fan. It was enough. The hotel has a pool and interesting restaurant. There are other restaurants within a short walk. The staff at the Hotel del Norte was wonderful when I was there.

I had a sea view, which was lovely. Except the sea front park is a loud, late night teen hang out- but that isn't the hotel's fault.

I met wonderful people staying at this hotel. It attracts artistic people. I am told it once was the home away from home for the people filming Tarzan movies decades ago. After dinner I exchanged great life stories with other guests who sat on the big veranda/hallway. I couldn't ask for much better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I stayed here for a week while I was awaiting the arrival of my motorcycle by ship from New Jersey USA.
I could not have chosen a better location.
The hotel is an oasis of tranquility surrounded by a very busy container port. The wide and airy verandas are ideal for quiely reading or just staring out at the beautifull bay. The small pool is just right for a refreshing dip and is spotlessly clean.
The breakfasts and evening meals were good quality and served by two very polite and friendly waiters.
Staying at this hotel is like stepping back 100 years in time. It is full of character, very clean, good value, lovely staff and will give you a pleasant and memorable stay

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Ashfield, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We actually had a terrible experience in Puerto Barrios. It was just a stepping off point for us to get to Belize. So we thought just one night here would be ok. Just minutes after we stepped off the bus and were walking the 3 blocks to this hotel we were robbed (at noon!) Please be careful walking around this town! Get a taxi to wherever you need to go! So we showed up to the hotel, in need of some comfort and did not find much. I decided that I just needed to stay in the hotel room for a little while, but apparently they were doing some construction in the room right next to ours and it sounded like they were trying to tear down the wall into our bathroom. So we switched rooms. There was also some extremely loud construction going on next to the pool that went on all night, so we couldn't enjoy that either. The food was barely decent, and the staff was barely friendly to us. The rooms were buggy, our bathroom was kind of gross and the beds were uncomfortable. The hotel could have maybe been tolerable if we didn't have such a bad experience... I could see it's charming qualities. However, I would recommend in general avoiding Puerto Barrios if possible (we wish we had gone to Livingston instead) or stay somewhere nicer that is in a safer part of town.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Feldkirch, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

we stayed for two nights since p.barrios was where we arrived in guatemala coming from germany by boat. so we were glad to have an ok. hotel for that price, with a fine seaview (in the pool-outdoor-restaurant area) with a neat pool which was at the time of our visit clean.
the building itself is all-original from about 1 century ago, and you feel transplated back into that time at this place, even the waiters at the restaurant with their white uniforms seem to be original from that time.
The restaurant is cheap, but you get what you pay for, and there are neat restaurants also by the seaside which are better.
the matresses in the rooms are very soft, and the rooms are spacious in vertical dimensions, but somewhat cell-like.
If you can´t avoid staying in p.barrios, and get a good price for the stay, i could propably say this place is, despite the discomfort in the beds, worth its price, and if it´s only for the architecture and the views...

Room Tip: get one with seaview
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here while backpacking and found it in a Lonely Planet guide book. It was a great with tons of character and charm. The staff was very nice and took great care if us. We stayed here for 1 night and also ate in their restaurant which was fabulous! They have internet access for free too! The room was basic and included a fan. The bathroom was clean and the 2 twin beds did the job. I would recommend anyone to stay here! Enjoy!

Room Tip: check the room first to make sure its cool.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
rio dulce, guatemala
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

It's been there since 1896, so expect a bit of decay, but covered with enough layers of paint to distract you briefly. Guess it's an historic landmark, totally funky, but a touch of old world class in the formal feeling dining room. Nice wide slanting veranda offers a stunning view of the ocean and shipping traffic.
Beautiful setting for clean swimming pools and very gracious service personnel.
Very noisy all night, and this was NOT over a weekend, it's just a port city that never sleeps, just parties, i guess.
But the experience was unique, something I had looked forward to and am glad I made the trip.

Room Tip: The newer rooms with a/c are probably much quieter, but the views from the original verandas are ve...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

I must admit that Puerto Barrios did not make a good first impression when I arrived by bus. And no one knew where the hotel was, in spite of it being sort of a landmark! But I found it and am glad I did. You have a choice of the atmospheric old section overlooking the sea (and about ready to fall into it!) or the more expensive newer section with a/c. I picked the old hotel. The room was clean and had a fan and a cold water shower. The other guests were interesting unusual types. You could imagine you are in a novel.

While I loved the hotel and the price was right...teenagers hung out in the park right outside my room playing loud music late at night. It is the seafront and people gather here to get a nightime breeze. You don't have much of a door, just broken wooden slats so you can hear everything outside.

I enjoyed the pools and the hotel restaurant. The staff was very nice. I would not stay anywhere else in Puerto Barrios due to the great atmosphere here at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Hotel Mansion del Rio
Hotel Mansion del Rio
#3 of 4 in Izabal
3.0 of 5 stars 69 reviews

Been to Hotel del Norte? Share your experiences!