I've been two times in Livingston and I totally enjoyed my stay in Casa de la Iguana, actually the hostel was the reason for the second visit. Casa de la Iguana and Livingston with it diverse culture seemed to be the right spot to take a little break from buzzing around the world.
Great food for appropriate prices, affordable even if you're on a budget (2 hours happy hour help aswel to save some Quetzales without missing out on some fun at the bar). I really enjoyed the ambiente and the arrangement of the hostel with a little jungle vibe and the staff helps a lot to make you feel comfortable.
Hot showers, skype capable Wifi and hammocks in addition to a good book exchange were exactly what I was looking for.
It's completely different to the rest of Guatemala. Latinos, Maya and Garifuna buzzing around, all in their own way. And what I can recommend is the trip to the Maya community of Plan Grande Tatin. The myth about the Maya is what got me to Guatemala, but there I got the first impression what it means to be Maya - today. If you're interested in cultural diversity don't miss out on that, gives you a glance on something that is normally hidden off the road.
People complaining about the location and what comes along with it just should read and have a look at the area, it's not a western suburb. If you need to get on a boat to reach a place you shouldn't expect all concrete parking lots and fancy living areas. Welcome to the caribbean.
(And it's by far not as bad as people tell. Compared to some places in Mexico, Costa Rica and Nicaragua this was totally ok)
I enjoyed it, I came back and I would again if I'll return to Livingston.
Thanks guys! Great job!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casa de la Iguana is a friendly fun hostel for world travellers. It is set in a jungle garden with hammock areas. It has a bar restaurant with family style dinners and a lively happy hour. There is fantastic free wifi to keep in contact with friends and family. For the lazy days we have a television area with cable and dvds as well as an international book exchange. We also arrange tours to Belize, La Ceiba, Siete Altares, Playa blanca and Rio Dulce on our pontoon boat Reggae on the River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Casa de la Iguana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa De La Iguana Hotel Livingston
- Casa De La Iguana Guatemala/Livingston