“A Special Place” 5 of 5 stars

Apto. 1, Santiago Atitlan, Guatemala   |
Tahoe City, California
“A Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Spent 5 nights here and wish we cold have stayed longer. Beautiful views and grounds and excellent staff and food. We felt like we were in Paradise! Enjoyed the hot tub each night which was a real treat.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Derby, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Posada de Santiago has already earned TripAdvisor accolades, so I can only add to the rave reviews. Our team of 11 was in Santiago Atitlan to build stoves in the nearby Maya villages, within 2 kms of the Posada. We stayed five nights, so we had an excellent opportunity to evaluate the hotel's consistent excellence. Every noon and every evening we returned from hard work to a wonderful meal in amazing surroundings. At noon we ate in the bar/gazebo overlooking the pool and Lake Atitlan, stretched out in lounge chairs. In the evenings we had marvelous meals! The owner, an American, serves fresh, local food and even grinds his own coffee, wonderfully smooth. We stayed in lovely little stone bungalows scattered up the hill. Ours was "Luna," complete with fireplace, hammock, lake view, huge volcanic boulders and lush flowers and vegetation. The grounds were carefully tended and alive with all kinds of flowers and other plants that would be houseplants in the US. Not only was the hotel excellent, but we met fascinating people here. Posada de Santiago seems to be a meeting place for people who are Doing Good in the area--searching for pure water, ensuring good health care for the region, enjoying the land and the people of Guatemala, climbing the area's volcanos. This area, across the lake from the tourist town of Panahachel, is very much a Maya community. There are some tourists, but not enough to detract from the local people and culture. We had the opportunity to get to know the villagers as we built stoves for them. Posada de Santiago gave us an ideal point of departure.

Room Tip: All of the bungalows have views of the lake. All of them have fireplaces. There is a faucet in the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the posada for 4 days. I are in the restaurant several times, used the sauna, pool and hot tub, paddled the canoe early in the morning, and took a tour of the town recommended by the hotel. The hotel staff and grounds made it one of the best experiences of my life. Take time to learn the story of the hotel and ask to see David's (the owner) binder of questions and answers.

• Stayed January 2013
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Great spot and a funky relaxed hotel. Good food comfortable beds and a view to die for. Go for the two suites, junior or rosa these are the best rooms and well priced. Will return for sure. The lake can be windy which means a rough crossing, take a private boat rather than public.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a night on a side trip to Santiago from Santa Cruz. The hotel is on the edge of the town. I walked here, but I recommend taking a boat or a tuktuk. First of all, the hotel is amazing for the price. The rooms is clean, the garden is well maintained and healthy. The restaurant is very relaxing and serves great continental foods.

The best part is the pool area across the street. You can enjoy hot tub late at night with millions stars in the sky. They also have a sauna in the same area.

The owner of the place is also very helpful. He helped me negotiate a boat back t Santa Cruz for a reasonable price.

I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We have been traveling in Guatemala for two weeks and arrived by boat yesterday from panajachel. We love it here. Great food, live music with the waiters chiming in, and good wine selection. Our room is set back from the lake, up a slight incline, surrounded by beautiful gardens with a good view of the lake and a hammock just outside the door. A lovely place to wind down from the craziness of shopping in other parts of this colorful country. And the beds are so comfortable which is a plus!

Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

The Posada was a very special place. And I truly hope to return- soon.
I loved the little stone cottage I had. It would have been so nice to have had my husband there to share with. The cottage I had was just 1 cottage up from the restaurant- which for me was perfect, as I would inevitably forget something and have to trudge back up there. It had a small stone patio and hammock- with a spectacular view of the volcano , not only from the front porch but from the window. It's door was also beautifully carved locally. Inside it was all stone walls,tiled floors and 2 large window which let in a lot of light. . It had one full/queen bed and one single bed, handy for me as I used that for my suitcase.It would have been perfect for 2 people but I think too tight for 3 with their luggage.It was simply furnished with a wooden writing table chair and 2 bedside tables.The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. I don't remember the sheets at all, so they must have been fine, I would have noticed otherwise.There were plenty of warm covers, a necisty as the nights turned quite cool..The lights over the bed were very good, and easy for reading. Candles were also provided and I used them for atmosphere.Note also that each day they also provided a pitcher of purified water everyday for your use.
I loved the fireplace and used it every night. ( I don't believe the cottages were heated, somewhat chilly in the mornings, so bring a robe and slippers and perhaps warmer PJs) The fire kept the cottage warm and toasty as I curled up in bed with my book and a glass of wine. They replenish the wood supply every morning.Please note that there really is no night life in Santiago, if that's what you want, everyone will tell you to stay in Panajachel.But Santiago and the Posada were perfect for chilling out.
The bathroom was somewhat rustic and small, but really who cares at a special place like this? It worked fine,purified water was provided for brushing your teeth, the shower had good pressure , I had plenty of hot water, it had a hairdryer and small amenity bottles of shampoo, of course.
The grounds were beautifully landscaped and wonderfully cared for, with stone paths leading to the cottages, as well as down the hill to the lakeside bar area. Unfortunately the bar is only open on certain nights and I only got to use it once while I was there.It sits a bit up from the lake and dock and just steps above the swimming pool and hot tub. They had a fire blazing and comfortable chairs (Adirondack style) in which to just relax and enjoy the magnificent view.The bartender (Otto) was a very nice and I enjoyed talking to him while I sipped wine.
The location is wonderful, apart from sitting right on Lake Atitlan and being able to get boat service right at their dock, the main road runs by the restaurant and Tuk Tuks run by every few minutes and it costs 5Q (about 65 cents) to go anywhere in town- which is only 5 minutes or so away (if that).
Nino (he seemed to do everything in the evening so I will call him the night manager) handled everything. Arranging a boat tour of the lake, as well as a car to take me back to Antigua (I was tired of shuttles at that point). He took excellent care of me.He was so interesting and involved in the community and promoting opportunity for the local children in the schools. Everyone there seems to strongly support their community, there are local art works on the walls which are for sale, local handicrafts in the very small gift shop, and books about local history.
I've only mentioned 2 of the staff, but they were all wonderful.l.
I would note I also had laundry done there, it was promptly returned the next day at a very reasonable cost..
I will review the restaurant separately, but here I will say that there is simply no reason whatsoever to eat anywhere else. The food is quite fresh and wonderful,the restaurant is beautiful and inviting, and the view from the restaurant amazing. What else do you want?
Only one suggestion I have, I would add a bit of color to the rooms by using some of the fabulous local weavings/fabrics on the beds, at the window, something, as the weavings are what brought many of us to Lake Atitaln. I believe I did overheard the owner say that they may already be planning this.It will just make a great place even better.
If you are a Four Seasons kind of person don't go, but if you want an amazing experience in an amazing (and courageous) community,or great outdoor activities and shopping in local markets, go by all means, and enjoy.

Room Tip: Do get one of the little stone cottages
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Posada de Santiago? Share your experiences!