“Total Relaxation at Lake Atitlan!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Panajachel
New Brunswick
“Total Relaxation at Lake Atitlan!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

October, 2012: After an exhausting (but VERY rewarding!) 10 day medical mission in the Mountains of Guatemala, my friend and I were supposed to go visit friends in Belize, but unfortunately that trip had to be cancelled. Tickets home were already booked, so we had to find an inexpensive place to stay for 4 days in Guatemala. Thanks to tripadvisor we found this stunning hotel on Lake Atitlan - absolutely perfect for 4 days of rest and relaxation!

The views from this hotel were STUNNING!! I couldn't stop take pictures, and from our room on the 10th floor with views of all 3 volcanoes across the Lake - it was perfect! I was worried that the hotel looked like a bit of an eye-sore as Lake Atitlan has a very rural and rustic atmosphere, and this hotel has 3 very tall buildings - of course I realized once we got to our rooms that it was on purpose so that travelers could get the most out of the spectacular scenery of this lake!

The cost of the hotel was very reasonable - I think it was about $70 US. The hotel is beautiful - 4 star for sure. The rooms were clean, but nothing fancy - considering we were in a 3rd world country they were very comfortable, and bathroom was clean and modern (gorgeous actually!). Bed was very comfortable, and large open space with lots of room. The balcony was beautiful, and we moved our little dinette chairs outside during our stay. There was a small kitchenette which was very convenient as food is so cheap to buy in the village (brought left-overs back each time). The meals at the hotel were reasonably priced (ie cheap!! all food cheap in Guatemala!), but not very tasty - we did much better with food eating in the village.

A helpful tip is that it was actually less expensive to take a tuk-tuk (Guat taxi!!) arranged from the front desk and eat in the vilage (only 5 minutes - and VERY FUN in the tuk-tuk!). If you are there during rainy season, I also suggest you bring a raincoat, poncho and umbrella!! When it rains - it POURS! No sewers, so we got absolutely soaked to our waists wading through the streets of the village!

The people at the hotel and in the village were wonderful! Very happy and kind people! We tipped as often as we could - they really are very poor! We also left as much stuff behind in the room when we left. This area does see a lot of tourists - but many are Guatemalans or backpackers, so very little English spoken. If you are not functional with Spanish - keep your dictionaries and phrase books close at hand! The village has many stores and markets to visit, and there are also tour boats for excursions on the Lake - an absolute MUST if you are there! As this was my 2nd time in Guatemala, I only went to the markets the one time - but many beautiful things! Still managed to do all of my Christmas shopping while there - AND under $100!!!

Another tip: We booked a taxi/shuttle from the village back to Guatamala City to catch our flight home when we arrived, and thankfully had one of our Guatemalan friends doing all the bartering for us! It was well worth the $50 dollars each to book the shuttle leaving at a convenient time (and I think a 2 to 3 hour drive), and much more comfortable than the 'chicken bus' which would have taken 8 hours!

I had read on trip advisor that some people complained about power outages. We had 2 or 3 while we were there - I think the longest was about 4 hours in the late afternoon early evening - they were still able to serve supper, and it wasn't quite dark out yet - so did not inconvenience us at all.

We spent every morning at the hotel pool, just reading and taking frequent dips - as it was very hot when the sun was shining!! Probably 30 degrees Celsius.... Every afternoon while we were there, it would cloud over and thunderstorms would start late afternoon and last all evening long! It would cool off quite a bit - definitely sweaters or jackets in the evening! We had our very own spectacular nature's light show every night!! Was WONDERFUL! I think I read 2 or 3 books in 4 days - so relaxing! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Wish I could remember the names of the staff in the dining room and pool area, but I'm writing this a few months later - but they were wonderful to us!

Room Tip: I'm not sure, but I think ALL the rooms have a view of the Lake, and of course the higher up you...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

We came to this Hotel with my husband almost like a mistake, when we saw it from outside we were shock, for it is a building in the misddle os the nature, we checked in and the service was beyind great, then we went to the room and Oh My Godness!! The view is one of the greatest we had experience ever! I recomend it 100% Its worth it. Food is good, not more than that, but its cheap.

• Stayed August 2012
georgetown ont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

stayed here for 4 nights they had a special stay one night get one free. Hotel was nice beautiful view only center building used other ones are condos hotel was very empty felt like we were the only ones there I think we were sometimes pool was nice ate our beakfast there it was okay nothing special our tv did not work properly complained but nothing was done about it I am sure they could of changed it with another room as 80% or 90% were empty

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

When rounding the corner to Panajachel this hotel stands obtrusively with three tall, green buildings that somehow don't fit with the landscape. We kept thinking, "no that can't be our hotel" but sure enough it was. Part of this hotel is actually condos and it seems that the clientele may be locals on vacation, which for us, added to its appeal. (Not the US cookie-cutter hotel, surrounded by Americans.) The hotel and the rooms are a bit dated but we overlook that since the view made up for it and we spent very little time in the room. The rooms had most amenities, fridge, hair dryer, cable TV. All the rooms have balconies that look to the beautiful view of the lake. The pool had plenty of lounge chairs, and 2 Jacuzzi's, unfortunately the one by the pool was not working at the time and was ice cold but the other one to the side of the pool worked fine. There are free paddle boats to use, and a trampoline also a full gym,
a games room with billards and ping-pong. The staff was friendly and accommodating. No complaints about the food and I'm usually picky. If you like ceviche you must try the seafood ceviche with the homemade tortilla chips, best poolside with a beer! There is a small shop in the hotel to purchase beverages and snacks, but you will pay the "gringo" price, so best to pick those items up in town. The town of Panajachel is a good home base if you want to go the Thurs or Sun Chichicastenango market and there are dozen's of tour companies booking trips. From this hotel you can get a tuk-tuk into town for $5 and head to the main street for the usual shops selling the typical tourist items. Restaurants in town seem hit or miss and the hotel may be the best bet for meals. There are 2 other hotels in walking distance to this one that you could also visit for meals. I would stay here again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Panajachel
Porta Hotel Del Lago
Villa Santa Catarina
Villa Santa Catarina
#11 of 30 in Panajachel
4.0 of 5 stars 100 reviews

Been to Hotel La Riviera de Atitlan? Share your experiences!