“Garden paradise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Atitlan

You added Hotel Atitlan to your Saves list
Hotel Atitlan
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Finca San Buenaventura, Panajachel | Solola Lago de Atitlan, Panajachel 07010, Guatemala   |
Ranked #4 of 30 Hotels in Panajachel
Edmonton, Canada
“Garden paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights as part of my Caravan tour through Guatemala. After the bright lights of the big city this hotel was a welcome retreat; absolutely beautiful and very peaceful. The pools were lovely and warm, the lake and volcano views are wonderful, and the gardens are spectacular. The hotel is well decorated, the gift shop had fair prices, the food was good, the room was comfy, and the staff were cordial. Took a tuk tuk into town and that is definitely an experience not to be missed - great fun! Shopping in the nearby town is much less rushed than up at Santiago and the people are very pleasant and helpful. There were alot of us there at once and we still found several quiet places on the grounds where we could watch a sunset alone or chase the rabbits - so no problem with overcrowding. Thank you for a beautiful place to visit.
NOTE: I have to write down what sort of trip this was.... it was A Caravan Tours Trip but that is not on the list so since my sister was traveling with me I am going to say Family!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Turkish first
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The location with its beautiful gardens and stunning views of Lake Atitlan are the main reasons for staying here. We were led to believe that this was a charming hotel but found it otherwise. It was certainly comfortable and well-appointed but we were rather squeezed out by the tour groups. It didn't help that on the day we arrived staff were pre-occupied with a large wedding party which took over much of the grounds. Our impression was that this was a rather impersonal although good quality tourist hotel. Would have been delighted to have stayed here if with a group but as indepenent travellers we were a little disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
agawam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

This hotel is right on the Lake Atitlan with wonderfully groomed and landscaped gardens throughout. The rooms were large and modern and very clean. We took a trip across the lake to a village for shopping and a visit to the local church. On returning we hired a Touk-touk to drive us into the town. This itself was an experience not to be missed. Like riding on a three-wheeled motorcycle with a cover. On returning to our hotel we relaxed in the pool and then once again dined in the indoor/outdoor restaurant where we enjoyed deliciously prepared food and lovely, attentive staff. The views of the volcano and sounds of the birds were only outdone by the full moon that night. What a paradise!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

We came with a group of friends each room had a unique charm, loved the setting. The food was great all in all a gem.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
York, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

I have stayed in wonderful places and I can say this is the most beautiful property of them all. We were here as part of the Caravan tour. I didn't want to leave. The gardens are simply incredible. Everywhere you look is more beauty. My room was delightful. I will post a couple of photos soon. The lake and volcanoes -- I just can't overstate how much I loved this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

We had been driving from Antigua for a few hours after a morning there. Our guide took us into Panajachel for a drive-around.......the appearance I got was that it was a town quite full of tourists and time warp hippie types......certainly a charming look to it in places.....colorful in a way.....the shops looked a little ordinary. After a drive around in town our driver and guide took us to the Hotel Atitlan....which in contrast to the town was a welcome sight. The property is clean and the gardens are really special....and as mentioned often before in previous reviews.....the views of the lake are really special. We had a nice room, convenient to the lobby and restaurant......clean with a safe in the room....nice bathroom and a nice little sitting balcony overlooking the flower and hedge gardens and the pool and an small infinity pool which also had a whirlpool feature; quite a few guests were using each pool. Wifi available for a $10 additional charge, and it worked well enough. We sat out and had a cocktail on the pool deck in the afternoon and watched dusk set in. There was a moderate level of business......very pleasant. The service is enthusiastic and prompt in the restaurant and lounge. We didn't bother to return to the town......just spent the evening in the hotel.....had dinner and chatted for quite a while with some of the wait staff. Very friendly and we were able to learn quite a lot about the area by chatting with them. The English in the hotel is sufficient to do a basic level of business. I speak Spanish so we had no communications issues. The staff, overall are helpful but not overly friendly......perhaps by design. The food was good but not great.......the atmosphere was comfortable. I had read some comments from others about "rip offs". I thought the prices were a little at the high end of what was available.....but certainly not a problem. I had one incident when I was checking out when I noticed a charge which I did not recognize.......the reception clerk went through some gyrations, finally getting someone from the restaurant to come into the reception, unable to find an invoice.....which of course did not exist with my signature on it.......it was all very polite....I am not sure whether it was a mistake or a modus operandi......I will never know. The waiter who came in from the restaurant did not make eye contact with me at all.....so??? Who knows? It was somebody's breakfast charge mistakenly or deliberately charged to me or it was not. A little strange......but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was an error. We did enjoy this property a great deal and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I believe that all the rooms face the Lake......which is the main attraction here. I suppose tha...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Charleston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

Hotel Atitlan has clean rooms, nice bathrooms, wonderful views, and gorgeous grounds - all for a great price. The rooms are clean, safe, and with outstanding views of the lake and volcanos. Very romantic. When reading other reviews, I almost vetoed it because of the concerns with petty theft. Thankfully, we didn't experience these problems, but do not doubt that they have occurred. The grounds are meticulously maintained with macaws, toucans, and peacocks roaming about - worth an hour exploring and, quite literally, smelling the roses.

Now with the bad. When on the grounds of the Hotel, I always felt as though we were being ripped off. Everything from the paintings on the wall, to the food, to the gift shop are overpriced. The hotel itself is about a 15 minute walk to the town (where you can shop, eat, and grab boats to take you to neighboring towns - a must). The hotel offers a boat, but charges over 10 times the amount that you can bargain for when in Pana. They also offer a tuk tuk (small moped / taxi) for 10Q (about $1.50 per person) to take into town (Pana) - which is a great deal. Just don't tell the driver that you are looking for a boat, as he seemingly has friends in Pana who will ultimately rip you off. Just tell him to take you into town.

Other than those concerns, its a great place. I would take the above into mind and still book Hotel Atitlan if I could do it over again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Panajachel
Porta Hotel Del Lago
Villas Balam Ya
#2 of 30 in Panajachel
4.5 of 5 stars 89 reviews
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature Reserve
Laguna Lodge Eco-Resort & Nature...
#3 of 6 in Santa Cruz La Laguna
Jardines del Lago
Jardines del Lago
#7 of 30 in Panajachel
4.0 of 5 stars 127 reviews

Been to Hotel Atitlan? Share your experiences!