“Clean, comfy and peaceful.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mario's Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panajachel
Mario's Rooms
You added Mario's Rooms to your Saves list
Calle Santander, Panajachel, Guatemala   |
Ranked #3 of 26 Panajachel B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Clean, comfy and peaceful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

One of my best friends and I went on a trip to Central America this past April/May (2011). While in Panajachel, we stopped in at Mario's Rooms. We loved it so much in this town and this hotel that we decided to stay an extra 2 nights!

The accomodations were clean and beautiful! The rooms themselves weren't the prettiest decor, but the lush courtyard made up for any outdated look of the room. At this point, it was kind of nice to be able to sit down and watch tv before going to bed - we hadn't done much of that until now. It was a very relaxing stay!

The bathroom was clean and spacious (apparently rare in the budget hotel scene in Guatemala), although being all pink was a little overwhelming...The courtyard & the little balcony with a hammock were a really nice touch...we tended to end our days with a beer and a card game while sitting at a little table outside our door on the balcony.

Breakfast was free, so I suppose you can't complain...although it was a little bland and boring. Great for getting something in you to keep going for the morning, but definitely not a taste experience. Free water (water coolers) on site was AWESOME. Definitely kept the amount of bottled water waste to a minimum! Secure entrance was also a bonus, we definitely felt safer knowing only guests could enter (no key card or anything, the staff would come open the door after you buzzed them).

Great location - about 10min walk to the harbour where you can rent boat tours to neighbouring lake towns. Great restaurants and street food (if you're brave). Close to a school so lots of kids around in the street - but the noise didn't transfer to the room. Only loud aspect was the roofing crew beside our window next door.

Overall a great stay - would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We stayed towards the back on the second floor - these rooms looked larger than the first floor room...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I only stayed in Mario's Rooms for one night as I passed through Panajachel but found it to be clean and found the staff to be very friendly. The free breakfast was a welcome surprise, as was the free water (bottled, of course) and coffee! Not sure why they didn't tell me about all that when I was deciding whether or not to stay...

One thing that I will say is that they were a little reluctant to offer me the single room with use of the shared bathroom only for a discounted rate of Q70 (instead of the ensuite for Q80 or Q100 [hot water]). In retrospect it probably would have been worth it to not be such a cheap bum because that shared shower might've been the coldest I've had yet.

I'd go back!

• Stayed October 2011
Seattle Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We stayed at Mario's Rooms for 4 nights and found it to be perfect for exploring the Lake Atitlan area. Just a few blocks to the water and the boats for hire and on the main road for tourist activity. But not really that noisy. Mostly dogs and chickens in the early morning. The ladies who run the hotel are helpful, quick to get the wifi up and running when you need it, not sure why it's not on all lthe time tho.Rooms were cleaned everyday. A fixed cheap breakfast is served, 2 choices, every morning. I would reccommend it to anyone loooking for a clean affordable place in Pana.Nice courtyard, places to sit outside, and a bank machine right across the street. Lots of good restaurants nearby.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
The Dalles, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

This was my 3rd stay at Mario's Rooms and the 1st for my husband. We had Room #23 which was on the top floor in back and had a double bed and a twin along with a desk and bureau area, the requisite gigantic cement safe, ,a window out the back and a nice bathroom with plenty of hot water (takes awhile to heat up). On previous visits I've been alone or traveling with a friend so I've seen rooms in different configurations, all clean and cute.

We enjoyed the hammock on the porch in front and the lovely garden area. We paid 180 quetzales or about $23 which included a nice tipico breakfast with tea or coffee. Wireless internet is free but I needed to go closer to the restaurant at the front to access it. The hotel is well located on Santander, has a calm, private, safe feel to it, and free purified water is provided. Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel was really good located (center of Panajachel), and perfect if you're sarching for something both cheap and nice.
A double room is 120Q/night, breakfast included with private bathroom (without hot water...)
There's a really nice Patio, lot's of beautiful flowers, the rooms are really simple but clean,

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lilongwe, Malawi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2011

I stayed here the first few nights after arriving for a long stay in Pana. The maid who checked me in told me the price for one person in one room was Q130. When I booked one more night with the owner, she said it was only Q100. It turned out that the maid had made up a fake receipt and kept the extra cash. The owner did NOT return my cash. For this reason, I'm taking down my rating.

Otherwise, it is very centrally located, clean rooms with hot showers and free wireless internet and breakfast. Breakfast is small and not great, but its free. A ten minute walk to anywhere in town. I saw hummingbirds in the beautiful plants on my balcony. I would highly recommend it, if I trusted the staff (who will not come in your room while you're staying, at least) and if the owner had returned my money (although I understand there was no way to prove it and I didn't push super hard).

Room Tip: Ask to check in with the owner!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

Well above average budget hotel. Clean rooms, hot water (if you get a room with hot water; rooms with cold water are, as expected, less expensive), plants all around. Comfy beds. Good location. Nice staff. What more could one want? (Personally, I'd like a bedside lamp, but not much of a sacrifice to go without it.)

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple