“beautiful view, spacious rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Playa Linda
7a Calle 0-70 Zona 2, Panajachel 07010, Guatemala   |
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
New York City
“beautiful view, spacious rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

I spent three nights here and was very happy. The lake-view rooms (not sure you'd want to bother booking a room without a view) are enormous, with spacious terraces overlooking the lake. (There's just one unfortunate cinderblock building minorly blocking a fully panoramic view, but you've got plenty of lake to look at.) In front of the rooms is a beautifully overgrown garden expertly tended by Nicolas, with a mini-aviary of birds who chirp away in the mornings and a parrot who squawks "Hola" and "Hello, how are you" in the afternoons.
Breakfast is included, though I didn't quite understand that until my last morning. The woman working the front desk brought toast, jam and juice to my room and I could eat it on the terrace. There's not-so-good coffee available at reception starting at 7 a.m. All of the staff were very nice; I don't think they speak English but my beginner Spanish was fine (except for misunderstanding about breakfast!).
The queen bed was very comfortable. There was also a full-size bed in the room. The shower was nice, with hot water every time. I tried out the small pool, which was refreshing for a quick dip on a hot afternoon but not big enough to swim laps or anything.
The hotel is a pleasant 10-minute walk from the main action on Calle Santander, though there are also some lakeside restaurants right out front. Walking back from Santander at night seemed more or less safe to me (at 9-10 p.m.) You could always take a tuk-tuk for 5 quetzales. The hotel is near the dock for lake tours and boats to other villages, so convenient for morning trips.
As I checked out hotels, there was a budget place next door with beautiful lake views and bare-bones rooms for about $12-$15 a night that I considered. But for about $40, the Playa Linda had much more comfort and charm.

Room Tip: You want a lakeview room, 1-5.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

As our first hotel stay in Guatemala, this was a pleasant introduction. the rooms were generously sized, plus the balconies with views over Lake Atitlan are great. It is near many amenities and the gardens on site are stellar. The temps were warm enough that we didn't need to try the fireplace, but I imagine it would be a great touch if we needed it. Highly recommend for a good value stay.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Hoodsport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Lovely hotel with a view of the lake and volcanoes from my room and balcony. Near the entrance there is a blessing of a flower fergrance as one walks towards the main door. The room was very clean and coffee as handed to me in the morning. The evenings and nights were quiet! I only stayed a week but a delightful week it was. Everything is within walking distance, reasturants, boats for traveling the lake and of course lots of venders although they did not push there products in my face. They were respectful. I asked around about Diving and there is one fellow that says he has equipment or access to, but that did not take place.
I would go back to this hotel any time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed here for one night. We only wanted to explore the town and relax. The rooms with view to the lake are the best rooms in this hotel. The balcony views at the lake and the garden. The room had a working fireplace with fire wood ready to warm the room (we didn't use it since the temperature didn't drop). The garden releases a beautiful aroma up on arrival! The owner has birds in a small aviary below that are pleasant to listen in the morning. . The windows in the room open has "panels"; the breeze at night was pleasant. I was able to have a view of the lake and the volcanos from my bed. I didn't want to leave the room. Free coffee in the morning is the best "good morning" to me. The bed was not a soft bed but it was a minor detail compare to the beauty of the view.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I looked on the internet for an inexpensive hotel with a view of beautiful Lake Atitlan and found Hotel Playa Linda. I had stayed at the Buenaventura before as well as the Hotel Uxlabil in San Juan and loved ithem but only had a few days and decided to stay in Panajachel and the prices I found for the San Buenaventura were too expensive. When I arrived I was worried that the hotel was in a busy section of the embarcadero to villages around the Lake, but in the evening and at night it was very peaceful. After the week-end rush of visitors I was asked if I wanted to move to a room with a nicer view of the Lake which I did. It was so lovely to sit out on the balcony looking at the Lake and the lovely garden listening to the birds in the small aviary below. There was a small pool that I didn't use and I never saw in use but maybe that was because there was quite a bit of rain. After the week-end, coffee was brought to my door every morning and everyone was very nice. On the night I arrived it was dark and I was a little reluctant to walk to a restaurant to eat so someone from the hotel accompanied me. I highly recommend that visitors take the boat from the San Pedro pier to San Juan La Laguna if you want to see a village that is still not very touristy. San Juan suffered a lot from hurricane Stan, but there are still beautiful murals on the walls of many of the buildings and very kind and friendly people. Ask for Juan the tuk-tuk driver (#18) who will give you a tour of the village and then a drive along the road to San Marcos with beautiful views of the Lake and volcanoes. He spent several hours with me including waiting while I visited some friends in the village, tour of the coffee cooperative, visits to weaving cooperatives and a medicinal plant garden and the drive to San Marcos. He then walked me to the boat and waited until it arrived--all for 100 quetzales. A wonderfu day.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Playa Linda? Share your experiences!