“A Destination -- not just a place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Jenna's River Bed and Breakfast
Casa Loma | Calle Rancho Grande, Panajachel 07010, Guatemala   |
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Panajachel
New Orleans, Louisiana
“A Destination -- not just a place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The smart thing to do is put your reservation in right away at Jenna’s River B&B ! Because of Jennifer, our stay there became part of the vacation, a destination, not just a place to stay. In case you’re not convinced by the 50 or so glowing reports here on TripAdvisor, here is ours.

Jennifer will help you with travel plans, safe transportation to & from the GUA airport, sightseeing, restaurants, night life, shopping, what to do (& not to do) & anything else you need. She does many things & all to perfection: paint, sew, cook, speak 4 or 5 languages, run the best B&B & is your friend in Pana. This gracious hostess does all these things seemingly effortlessly. If you stay a few days, you may meet some of her wonderful friends. All muy amable! This includes Jennifer’s 3 dogs. I am not a dog person, but these 3 are extremely polite & very adorable.
Speaking of exceptions to my dislikes, I am not fond of seafood & never eat fish soup. But Jennifer will be delighted to take your order & cook you a special traditional Guatemalan meal (reasonably priced). So one night she prepared traditional “Tapado”, a seafood soup consisting of very fresh clam, fish, shrimp and plantains! I would never have ordered this off a menu in a million years & prepared myself for being embarrassed for not eating it. But it was delicious & I cleaned my bowl. To continue, I do not eat pancakes - ever. Jennifer fixed pancakes one morning. Oh my gosh! They were terrific, not like any I’ve ever had before. I hope her recipe isn’t a secret – I "need" it. And if your mouth isn’t watering yet, let me tell you that you’d be happy to survive on her homemade bread alone!
We stayed in the larger room, decorated beautifully with Jennifer’s art. The queen bed has an unusually comfortable mattress. There’s no want for lots of hot water. Some report that Pana is noisy at night, but this B&B is extremely quiet. The location accounts for that in spite of the fact that it’s just off the main street of shops, entertainment, restaurants & transportation. We could walk anywhere in Pana or easily get a “tuk tuk” ride.
My only regret is that we didn’t have the time to just hang out at the B & B absorbing it’s dreamy ambiance, like joining pup Lenny in the warm November sun on the sofa on the terrace overlooking the yard & garden profuse with tropical blooms or chatting more with Jennifer. So, we’ll just have to return!
On the 1 to 5 scale, we give Jenna’s B & B a 6!
(See all my Trip Advisor reviews of our 5 days in Pana, as I have time to post them.)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jennifer B, Owner at Jenna's River Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I feel overwhelmed by this wonderful thoughtful review. I do put in a lot of work to make sure that my guests are comfortable and I truly enjoyed meeting you and spending the time we did chatting over breakfast and catching up at the end of the day with all the little adventures and nice things that you got to do. Please come back to Atitlan, it will be a pleasure to see you again. Jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I unfortunately got very sick the day I arrived to Panajachel, but Jenna was a wonderful host. She cared for me like my mother would have! She even took my stool sample to the lab. She also called a friend who is a doctor to do a house call, and he brought me gatorade and antibiotics. As a result, I got to spend a lot of time in the B&B house. It is a beautiful, comfortable space with fascinating artwork, good conversation, lovely beds, very clean bathrooms, delicious home-made breakfasts, a gorgeous garden, and friendly dogs. I couldn't have asked for a better place to be sick in Central America. No place could be more comfortable, and no one will give you such personal, loving attention as Jenna.

Everyone who goes to enjoy Lake Atitlan should stay with Jenna!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Jenna is a star. As soon as my Fiancee got in contact she was so so helpful, her tips and guidance were invaluable. Staying in her B&B is like staying with a good friend, the breakfasts are varied and delicious, you get to meet her friends and she even took us to a party. A totally different experience to staying in a hotel and much the better for it.
Room was lovely and bathroom excellent.
If you love dogs you love it even more, the sofa isn't for non-dog lovers! personally I prefer cats but I still loved it.
The B&B is a short walk to the lake shore and kayaks (try to get one that doesn't just go in circles) and there is a great bar to watch the sunset.
Jenna great, accomodation great, location great. 5 stars.
Look out for the hummingbirds!

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all are good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Jennifer's home is your home for your stay in Pana-- and what a gift that is! The patio, where you can drink her homemade mango juice, is surrounded by such color and rich Guatemalan tradition. I don't know what more I can add that other reviews haven't covered: hot shower, fabulous ambiance, a generous, kind host. The location is perfect-- just one block off the main strip, two minutes to the dock. And of course, the breakfasts are wonderful-- fresh fruit, homemade breads, banana pancakes, omelets, unlimited cups of deep rich Guatemala coffee. Our stay at this bed and breakfast was in and of itself one of the highlights of our stay in the country.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Jennifer B, Owner at Jenna's River Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Well, literally, it was a pleasure to have you as guests in my little Bed and Breakfast.Thank you for the charming review and of course I do hope that you will come by this way again. J
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in Panajachel in torrential rain and were greeted with a beaming smile... And an umbrella. I'm not sure which was more welcome at the time!

Jenna really makes this place what it is. Yes, there is a welcome hot shower, cosy room (v comfy bed) and homely surroundings, plus three rather fabulous dogs (midge, cha cha and Lenny) but Jenna is the heart and soul of the experience.

From first email contact she was super helpful with travel plans and went out of her way whilst we were there to phone friends in other parts of the country to get weather recommendations so we could decide where to go next. Oh, and don't get me started on the breakfasts-other reviewers will attest to these being the best around. Jenna kindly let me have a peek at her pancakes recipe as we were bowled over by them.

Panajachel is perhaps not everyone's cup of tea (it is less pretty than other villages) and we were frequently recommended by others to stay in different villages, however we chose to stay here for two reasons: firstly the reviews of the b&b, which were universally glowing, and also the convenient boat routes around the lake villages, which helps when you are on a tight timetable. Restaurants were also good quality and varied-we particularly liked the newly opened Vietnamese on the main road and the two delis (very delicious quesedillas). If you were staying for longer it might be an idea to split your stay between Pana and another village.

Thanks Jenna! We hope to see you again soon, and will keep you updated on that Nicaraguan island ;-)

Emma and Andrew

• Stayed October 2012
Jennifer B, Owner at Jenna's River Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Most of the year, the weather is quite perfect in the Highlands of Guatemala. Sometimes, as it happened with you, it rains more than usual especially at this time of the year when we get the rains that come from being on the outskirts of the hurricanes in the Caribbean. I am glad you enjoyed your stay despite the wetness. The fireplace always helps and do please keep me up to date on the island project, it will be my turn to visit then! Jennifer
haifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Our stay in Pana was decided kind of in the last moment, we weren´t sure if to stay there or in San Pedro, we eventually decided on Pana, and went to Jennifer´s B&B after reading the review on TripAdvisor. Both Decisions turn out to be correct.
Pana is a wonderful town (we went also to San Pedro and there is nothing to compare), and Jennifer´s B&B is amaizing!!!
We had a wonderful stay there. the hosting was great. Jennifer and her 3 sweet (!!!) dogs welcomed us and made us feel at home. the room is extra comfortable, breakfast is amaizing (every day we had different type, all homemade with a lot of fresh fruits, fresh homemade bread), and Jennifer is a wonderful person who is fun to talk to.
the location is great because it is half a block from the center and dock, but still a very quiet place.
Jennifer also gave us great advices on places to go and eat, all turn out to be very good advices, this made our stay even better.
bottom line - you should go there we promise you will have a great time!!!
Gili & Ido

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The Wonderful part is having you as a guest. It was a pleasure and I sincerely hope that one day you will be back in these parts to do some more exploration of this area. You will always be welcome. Jennifer
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

As with many of the other guest comments Jenna's place is a home away from home! From the moment we first enquired about the accommodation via email to the moment we left the accommodation were we well looked after. Jenna's place is very comfortable, clean and safe. The beautifully kept gardens, the amazing breakfasts and the wonderful host left us wanting to stay longer! The warm and friendly environment allowed us to meet and make friends with the other travellers staying their too. Jenna provided us heaps of beneficial advice on what to do and see and also assisted us with organising transport and day tours etc. The price was very reasonable and even included the washing of our stinky clothes!! From two Aussie travellers - many thanks Jenna!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Jenna's River Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!