“Incredible experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 55 hotels in Lake Atitlan
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Incredible experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We visited TOSA La Laguna for our 1 year wedding anniversary and could not have been happier with the experience!

The staff were incredible, extremely friendly and helpful and were happy to let us enjoy the resort exactly the way we wanted. The food was amazing - it was fresh and delicious and despite being vegan (we are both non-vegetarians) we were incredibly impressed with every meal. Our room (the zen dome) could not have been better, comfortable, private, excellent hot water and the most comfortable bed we have ever seen!

While TOSA is definitely not for everyone, we would definitely recommend it to people looking for a romantic, secluded and spectacular location that is amazing for a special occasion.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
TOSALL, Owner at TOSA La Laguna, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing your anniversary with us. We have shared your appreciation with our staff and we agree that whether or not someone is vegetarian the food at TOSA LL is amazing! We are always available to create meals that bring a smile. Our signature tempur-foam beds are a rarity in Guatemala and we are happy you slept well and were able to enjoy the many amenities at TOSA. We look forward to seeing you again.

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

TOSA La Laguna is a wonderful and beautiful place, a serene nature reserve. A great place to disconnect, get away from it all and go within. There is a mystical quality to the lake which is very nourishing and energizing to the mind, body, and soul. The casitas at TOSA LA Laguna are absolutely gorgeous and wonderfully furnished, the beds are very comfortable! The food was just amazing, delicious and truly nourishing. The staff is great and very attentive, they really work hard to accommodate your stay. The lake waters are pristine and a swim in the lake is a healing experience in itself. I recommend TOSA La Laguna to anyone looking for a blissful getaway.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
TOSALL, Manager at TOSA La Laguna, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Greetings Adrian!
Yes, a swim in the lake is one of the many benefits of being onsite at TOSA La Laguna as other locations around the lake are now...sadly...not safe to swim. The water is always beautiful and we also have worked diligently to provide crystal clear drinking and showering water throughout the facility. A rare find in Guatemala 100% of our water is not only safe and delicious it has been lightly alkalized to provide for optimum hydration and is always included at no charge with your casita!
Thank you again for your sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Evanston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Wonderful casitas (except for inconsistent hot water) and beautiful, isolated, incredibly safe location - swim, kayak, and get a foot massage! They do not serve any meat, dairy, eggs or other animal related foods which means that you're eating much fiber. The food was OK - not very flavorful except for the coconut milk ice cream concoction which was delicious and the guacamole and chips which I specifically requested before I arrived. The staff are very attentive and accommodating. I recommend this for veggie and fruit lovers who want a tranquil get-away from it all.

Room Tip: Most affordable room is high up many stairs and the water in the shower was not consistently hot any...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
TOSALL, Front Office Manager at TOSA La Laguna, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Hello and thank you for writing.
We appreciate your taking the time to write however your review is quite puzzling as it does not reflect accuracy with the exception that indeed TOSA LL is for those who are seeking a tranquil, "authentic and non--polluted" Lake Atitlan experience.
Prior to your arrival we had many emails and you were clear we are a vegetarian resort. While onsite you refused most of our gourmet foods and we offered you what you wanted and did our best to assist you however when you refuse virtually everything it is challenging. Given we are known for our food quality, flavors and ability to satisfy most people we did our absolute best.
As for the hot water, it works PERFECTLY!
We offer an orientation to the hot water as part of your arrival since we use very high quality European Instant on Hot water heaters that are safe, eco-friendly and consistent. Our staff would have been happy to assist you to feel more comfortable with the hot water and we apologize that you were unable to have that experience.
Upon leaving you were so happy, (zero mention of anything you placed in this review), you shared with us that you wanted to return with your friend, so again your review is puzzling and we always appreciate comments from our guests so that we many constantly do our best to maintain our clients satisfaction.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I had a truly blissful stay at Tosa La Laguna! I was surrounded by the pristine water of Lake Atitlan with pure fresh mountain air and no noise pollution. Every morning I was greeted by the song of birds and the manificent views. The food and service were excellent, the rooms and grounds are very clean and up kept, and the staff attended to my every need. The spa treatments further enhanced the trip, so if you visit, definitely indulge! Every moment was worth it and turned out to be the perfect getaway!

• Stayed May 2013
Hello Mary!
The fresh pure air and singing birds are one of the many special gifts that one can enjoy at TOSA La Laguna and something not found in the larger tourist towns on the lake anymore. We have shared your compliments with our cleaning staff who take great pride in always insuring your room is spotlessly clean and welcoming. How wonderful you gifted yourself with spa treatments as for many this is simply the "icing on the cake" to fully embrace the majesty of our nature setting.
We would look forward to seeing you again.
Mandan, North Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Tosa is located on the south side of Lake Atilian in a quiet cove . Totally off the grid, it is an example of how little we really need as it offers plenty to energize one's body, mind and spirit.
I enjoyed the maintained mountain trail to a Mayan ceremonial cite. I was here 4 years ago, when it was a dirt trail. The hike offers to take moments to enjoy the gifts of the mountain's nature and view of the lake. I am 54 and larger size woman, I was comfortable taking this trail. It is mountain elevation, so taking breaks would be suggested for anyone.
An early mourning swim in the lake was truly refreshing. Being a deep mountain lake, it was surprisingly warm.
I enjoyed the nourishing meals. The fresh produce from local gardens was energizing and wonderfully prepared. A nice variety
The Staff was wonderful and accomidating for everyones needs.
This is a wonderful place to step away from the world and touch your soul.
I could stay there for a long time and not feel I was missing anything but connecting to the self.
I recomend this stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Zen dome. Very spacious. Loved the coffee press. Organic coffee from Guatemala. W...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings Gladys!
We are delighted you enjoyed our special treat of in-room organic coffee and tea and we chose to use the French press as each person has their own preference as to strength and brew time for the perfect cup! We also smile at the word "nourish" as our meals are designed to satisfy your palette and your body along with offering joy as part of your journey at TOSA La Laguna. We are glad you returned and look forward to seeing you again.
Greeley, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

TOSA is amazing. When we arrived at the lake I was humbled by the surreal surrounding of ancient volcanoes, crystal blue waters that stretched so far I couldn’t see the other side. Tosa has very spacious living arrangements where guests have more of a cabin then a room. Everyone is spread out, so it makes it very private. Each “cabin” was decorated in the finest styles. Love was everywhere and in everything they do there. I stayed in the Royal Suite, which is amazingly romantic. Perfect for a honeymoon couple, set with candles, and beautiful fabrics from around the world. The room itself is set over the water and it feels like you are sleeping in a boat but without all the rocking. All day and night you are lulled by the sound of soft crashing waves. I don't think I would go to TOSA by myself, unless I was writing a book, because it might get lonely and a place this beautiful needs to be shared. With friends, family or a significant other I can guarantee it would be amazing. If you are looking to "get away" to pure peace and relaxation, this is the place. You don’t need to do anything. All the food is cooked and served in their wonderful kitchen. I bragged to my friends that I had my own personal chef when I was there because that is what it felt like. TOSA is located on the face of a steep mountain side and every day we walked to the top. It is a far climb but there are stairs. The trek to the top is a journey in itself because you can see for miles. If you are out of shape like me you can make it into a slow journey, by stopping to view the volcanoes across the lake, listen to all the tropical birds or see the lush tropical vegetation. It is an amazing view and great for pictures. My favorite part of TOSA was getting to swim in the lake. The water is warm, crystal blue and strangely buoyant like the ocean. Its energy is mysteriously healing. When I came out I felt 10 years younger. My whole body felt energized for hours. I really missed TOSA when I came home and I was honored that I had the opportunity to stay in such a magical and healing place. I would go back in a MINUTE. I would say grab a bunch of friends or your significant other and journey to TOSA. Oh, and I noticed others complaining about the mountain toilets, but that is standard in all of Guatemala. Not sure what the big deal is you just don’t flush paper down the toilet. TOSA is as Americanized as you can get, so go, enjoy and come back a new person.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Colleen,
Thank you for sharing with us the highlights of you stay with us. We agree that the food is truly amazing and we are happy you allowed yourself to be spoiled! For those who enjoy the adventure of the nature reserve and discovering our precious little monkeys, amazing variety of birds and stunning views we have worked hard to make our trail as gentle and easy for every physical fitness level. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed at TOSA La Laguna at the end of April 2013 and truly enjoyed every moment. TOSA La Laguna offered me a healing sanctuary from the 24/7 world. Thank you!! The lake was mystical and often TOSA was cocooned in a gentle mist that made me feel like I was in another time; another world. I could feel energy swirling about me as I sat at the end of the dock and watched the lake. Being completely off the grid and technology free was a true gift. I was able reconnect with the importance of daily spiritual practice and quiet time just to be with myself. I have to say, I even enjoyed the mountain rules for the plumbing because it seemed more honoring of our planet. Society has created so many requirements about what is polite or important, yet so many of those polices harm our wonderful mother, Gaia. TOSA is on the side of a steep mountain which added to the feeling of being right on the lake and really connected to the mountain. I love the way the structures work with the mountain and enjoyed the flower-lined stone stairs that connect the buildings. I stayed in the Zen Dome which was spacious, filled with comfortable furniture, had a lovely tiled bathroom, and provided amazing views of the lake. There were thoughtful little details in the room: supplies for hiking (walking stick, umbrella, and portable chair), plush beach towels for the lake, and games and books. I enjoyed using the coffee press to make organic coffee early each morning as I watched the fishermen in their hand-built boats quietly paddle the lake. All the meals were flavorful and had a freshness that only comes from locally grown foods. I felt well nourished and light. Two weeks at home and I am still missing the fresh fruits and the coffee!!! I highly recommend TOSA La Laguna for those seeking to realign and review their life's path. Be ready, the energy there is powerful and with all the distractions of the modern world removed, one needs to be ready to meet themselves. I am grateful to Sir and Kira for creating this retreat and I look forward to another stay at TOSA La Laguna.

Room Tip: If you are willing and able, climbing steps to the higher rooms is totally worth the experience.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
TOSALL, Owner at TOSA La Laguna, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Hello Elizabeth! We are delighted you found the gifts of the sanctuary that TOSA LL offers. We agree that the setting almost defies words and our policy is to offer each person as much or as little interaction as they are seeking to feel good about their experience. We invested significant planning and design time into the property to insure that everything is safe, easy to navigate and that our casitas have only the highest quality bedding and furnishings. 100% of lake Atitlan is built on the sides of mountains and at TOSA LL we offer some of the easiest and safest pathways and the ultimate in comfort and personalized service. We look forward to seeing you back at any time.

Been to TOSA La Laguna? Share your experiences!