“Great first night in Guatemala City” 5 of 5 stars

Hostal Villa Toscana
16 Calle 8-20 zona 13 | Aurora I, Guatemala City 01013, Guatemala   |
Ranked #4 of 37 Guatemala City B&B and Inns
Halifax, Canada
“Great first night in Guatemala City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We arrived on a 10:30 pm flight into Guatemala city and it was a treat to settle into Villa Toscana - so close to the airport. They gave us a discount on an upgrade room because the one we asked for wasn't available. Very quiet and comfortable. Enjoyed the tipico breakfast with many cups of organic coffee on the patio the next morning before going off to catch a bus to RIo Dulce. Good wifi, TV reception, helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Great Northwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night on our way out of Guatemala City.

Pluses:
1) a 3-minute ride to the airport (unless you're flying domestically)
2) Clean & quiet

Minuses:
1) their website says "free airport pickup." I scheduled it, it was confirmed, only to have the owner email me to say my airport transfer was NOT free, because I was flying an airline which was "too far away" (it was still arriving at the international airport). She offered to get a taxi for $7. I noted that her website said all airport pickups were free (one of the reason we booked), AND taxis were $6. She was nice enough to offer us a free pickup after I pointed that out.

2) Most people staying there are on their way to the airport, yet breakfast doesn't serve until 7am...so those of us with an earlier flight get day-old pancakes. We cooked ourselves all a fresh breakfast instead.

3) I booked through Hostelz.com, and it clearly stated my final amount due. Never before have I encounted a place that added taxes/fees on to that amount. She did. "Final amount" apparently means something different to this proprietor.

4) It's nowhere near anything except the airport. Expect to take an expensive taxi ride to dinner, or order it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Corpus Christi, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here many times flying in and out and out of G. City, and it rates far and above any other place we have stayed (when Villa Toscana was booked up). The family owners/operators are awesome---- very accommodating for all of our needs. The entire place is super clean, the breakfasts are awesome, and they stock cerveza frio in the fridge! The hotel is a few minutes from the airport, and they drop us off for free! It is very safe, enclosed totally within a wall.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

Recently I visited Guatemala City. Just by chance I found this wonderful "bed and breakfast" and I had a really good time!!! I spent two nigths in this "hostal". The price includes room. The room includes a decent tv with cable (main tv shows), internet for free, and two kinds of breakfasts. One called "Typical Breakfast" (which I recommend) is a local breakfast and the other is called "American" which is a typical breakfast from USA. Both are served either in the dining room or outside next to the garden. They don't serve food at noon or at night. Instead you can ask "Michael" to order meals from the around restaurants. The restaurants and small coffe shops deliver. The food goes from fast food to fine food and the prices are affordable. "Michael" will serve the food in the dining room in a fine set of dishes at not extra cost.

Room Tip: This is a small two stories building: rooms in the first level are better because you don't have...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

An ideal place to stay for a flight out of Guatemala City. The staff were beyond helpful, accomodating, and kind. We had an absolutely incredible stay, the room and the bathroom were tidy and well decorated. They have a wonderful outdoor area and will even arrange delivery for you if you like. After several weeks in a variety of hostels and lodgings, I can comfortably rank the Terrace Hostel as one of my favorites. Next time we have a flight out of GUA we will definitely choose here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights in August 2011.
Really close to the airport and they will pick you up and drop you off with no hassle, even for late / early flights.
I only booked a single, but was given a lovely double as they were pretty quiet.
Tasty breakfast included and the owners couldn't have been more friendly and helpful.
Very safe, quiet residential neighbourhood.

There are no bars / restaurants in the area, but there is an extensive take-out menu for delivery, and taxis are cheap in and out of town.
I even walked in and out a few times and found it perfectly safe.

Would definitely recommend and would stay here again without question!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Chose this hotel on the basis of the reviews on here but was disappointed. A few small points which added up to an overall negative experience. When I arrived my room wasn't ready and so I went out into the city for an hour and a half and when I returned my room still wasn't ready so had to sit about waiting! Paid in cash and the receptionist said she had no change and could she give me it later... She never gave me it and I felt too awkward to keep reminded her. Ordered a club sandwich and specifically requested no egg, as I have an allergy, but sandwich came with lots of egg. The wifi didn't work. No hot water in my shower.The hotel uses their own taxi drivers which at first I thought was great until one picked me up to take me to the bus terminal for 6am and didn't know where it was! Ended up having to call someone back in the UK and asking them to Google directions. Very stressful and nearly missed my bus. Not necessarily the hotel's fault but one of the taxi drivers they personally call.

Positives were that it was very clean and conveniently located for the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hostal Villa Toscana? Share your experiences!