“Very cheap place all around” 2 of 5 stars

You added Hostal Los Volcanes to your Saves list
Hostal Los Volcanes
16 calle 8-00, Zona 13 Aurora 1, Guatemala City 01013, Guatemala   |
New York City, New York
“Very cheap place all around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Very cheap place all around. Friendly staff but bad location, crappy rooms, surrounded by high fence and razor wire. If this is a 'getaway' as one commentor stated, you have incredibly low expectations.

Would not recommend

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
La Porte, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I traveled to Guatemala City from Houston Texas for work and stayed at Hostal Los Volcanes last week. It is rare for me to go out of my way to give feedback on this sort of sites; however, seeing the extraordinary service and quality I received there I felt it was necessary to let others know. They provided travel for me from the airport and back, from the moment I arrived I was assisted by most helpful and hardworking individuals I have ever met. They were willing to go out of their way to ensure I was satisfied with my stay. The place is sparkly clean, cozy, relaxing, quiet and they even provide you with a free breakfast. I simply could have not chosen a better place to stay at during my trip, I could go on and on about my fantastic stay. Honestly I can only recommend you try it out yourself, trust me you will NOT be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed at Los Volcanes on September 26th 2013 as I awaited my next morning flight with my parents, they made me feel welcome and their staff members were overly friendly they really know how to make you feel like at home, though the place is small it is perfect if you enjoy nice quiet relaxing environment, it is totally safe as it is part of a gated community. I would totally recomend it to friends and family, as a matter of fact am going back to Guatemala and of course will be staying here again...
My most sincere gratitude for their awesome service.

Room Tip: If possible request to have the outside rooms behind the hostal, its like having your own little pla...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you’re looking for cheap accommodation right outside the Guatemala City airport, then this may be a good option. But consider this as your last option because the rooms are terrible and the person at the reception desk is not friendly.

We had booked our room through a tour agency and upon reaching the hostel, we were told by that person at the reception desk that he did not have any idea about the booking. That led him to be rude and put us in room 10, which was at the end of the backyard, with no hot water in the showers, the wash-basin was in the room itself, and worst – the room was full of mosquitoes!

The location of the hostel is a 5 minute walk from the international airport, and although a part of the gated community, there are no restaurants or cafes around, apart from a tienda on the main street.

The hostel does not serve breakfast, but has free coffee all day long. Although there are two different wi-fi connections across the hostel, the staff will not give you the password, and enter it on their own. This will enable you to access wi-fi in the lobby/common room area, but you will not be able to access it on the other network.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I stayed at Los Volcanes my last night in Guatemala - I arrived at 8pm from Lake Atitlan, tired and hungry. The evening manager was friendly and immediately helped me to order dinner, which was delievered to my room 30 min later! I had to be at the airport at 4am, so missed the breakfast - however....the free shuttle ride by the evening guard was fantastic.
The hostel is located in a quiet gated neighborhood a 2-min drive to the airport. It is not fancy but perfect if you only want to spend $30-ish for someplace to sleep. Recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here with friends recently and we really enjoyed our stay. Service was really great, room was clean and food is good too. Gaby and the rest of the staff had a good knowledge of the area, she spoke English and was attentive and wanted to make sure we had everything we needed and that we were comfortable. The shuttle to the airport was really helpful. I would stay here again and I would recommend this hostel to friends and family.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
travelling
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have stayed in this hostel lots of times when having to stay the night in Guatemala City, which is often, for business. I prefer this hostel to any of the others, because I really feel at home. The manager is very hospitable, helpful, funny and he always wants to make sure I am ok. They have everything you need, hot water, tv with remote control, wifi in the rooms, nice beds, a kitchen to make yourself a up of tea, or heat up food, and the manager can get food ordered in for you. The place is always quiet. I like the fact that the manager is always on call 24 hours, and will bring you to the airport which really is only 2 minutes away. Comfortable, clean, and just very friendly. Will always come back here. Super convenient and great pricing!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hostal Los Volcanes? Share your experiences!