“If you are traveling to Guatemala, THIS is the place to stay!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Posada Belen Museo Inn to your Saves list
Posada Belen Museo Inn
13 Calle A | 10-30 Zona 1, Guatemala City 01001, Guatemala   |
Ranked #4 of 47 hotels in Guatemala City
“If you are traveling to Guatemala, THIS is the place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying in Posada Belen during a group mission trip to Guatemala with Patch Adams. Patch explained to us that this was hands down his favorite hotel to stay at ever (and he stays at hotels 300 days a year).

The staff is friendly, the rooms are so reasonable, and the hotel will cook homestyle meals at a reasonable price that are traveler friendly and cultural staples of Guatemala.

If you want a sheltered Guatemala experience there is always the Holiday Inn, but for a genuine Guatemala experience in a place that feels like a home stay at Posada Belen!

• Stayed March 2013

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Realistically, Guatemala City does not offer up much in the way of charm and ambience. It is a noisy and dirty place and apparently you need to watch yourself, though I've never had any problems there. Anyway, I have been to Guatemala City many times (maybe 12 times, can't recall) and I've stayed in various hotels. I now stay at the Posada Belen every time. It is safe, quiet and they have turtles in one of the little courtyards. This is an oasis of calm and tranquility in an otherwise noisy and frantic place, and it's local and a family business (as opposed to a large franchise chain operation run by automatons).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Seattle< WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I found this hotel in a guide book and it said "short on luxury but long on charm". It was a bargain at $55.00 but it was more like a back packers hotel. We would not recommend this hotel to a discriminating traveler.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Posada Belen is a homey break from the rest of Guatemala City. The staff was exceptionally friendly and attentive. The food was excellent. Make sure you dine in at least once while you stay there. The big breakfast table is a great place to connect with other travelers. Spend your down time browsing hundreds of archeological relics throughout the place, or while away your afternoon on the lush patio journaling, spotting orchids, and maybe finding the ellusive turtle that also lives there. Our room had two double beds and one single. It was clean and comfortable. As a bonus, they provide you with water you can actually drink!

Room Tip: Some rooms have 3 beds if you're traveling in groups.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Portales, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay in Guatemala City. I liked to feel safe and welcome at Posada Belen, the experience was different. I could sit and watch the blue sky or go out and walk to do some shopping. Everywhere is so close! I highly recommend everybody to try this neat hotel that I am sure you will like too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Harlingen, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

For my multi-stop trip across Guatemala, I chose Posada Belen Museo Inn for my brief stay in Guatemala City based upon the Lonely Planet Guatemala guidebook, as well as the reviews provided here on TripAdvisor by former guests.

E-mail communication with hotel personnel regarding a reservation was fast and easy. In order to secure my reservation, I was instructed to pay $63 ($43 for the first night + $5 for the first breakfast + $15 for the transfer from the airport) through the hotel's website. This was a little difficult, as the hotel's payment interface is a bit crowded and clunky due to a lot of different boxes to check and numbers to enter. However, I eventually checked the correct boxes and entered the correct numbers, and sent the hotel the requested $63 through their PayPal account. Before I departed for Guatemala City, I sent the remaining $48 ($43 for the second night + $5 for the second breakfast) through PayPal to the hotel. This was very convenient, as it allowed me to avoid credit card foreign transaction fees or carrying more currency than I needed to.

When I arrived at the airport and exited the main doors, the driver was waiting for me and holding a sign with my name on it, and quickly brought me to the hotel.

Both mornings, I was given a choice of two breakfasts, and both days, I chose the Tipico: Eggs (fried or scrambled), toast with butter, red beans, a slice of fresh cheese, cooked sweet bananas, orange juice, and coffee.

My room featured a comfortable bed with great sheets and huge, fluffy pillows. However, the comforter on the bed (both beds, in fact) looked a little ragged and dirty. The curtains on the window in the room also looked a bit dirty, as if they had never been taken down and washed. And the window in the room didn't open to the outside, but rather opened to the interior courtyard of the hotel.

The room was dimly lit, with no television, telephone, clock, or air conditioning. Only a small, table-top box fan circulated the air in the room. There was a safe in the room, but it was located in the floor under a table and between the two beds. Some surfaces in the room had a fine, black dust/dirt/silt/soot. A pitcher of purified water and several drinking glasses were provided.

In the bathroom, the towels were thin, and some were yellowed with stains. Hot water in the shower was difficult to obtain. The shower featured a funky lever and tube system, and it appeared to me that hot water was created by a heating coil (?) attached to the top of the shower head. I felt like Mario the Plumber each time I took a shower, trying to adjust the levers to get the hot water to work!

The hotel is a convenient short walk to the Parque Central and its nearby sights.

Internet was available for guest use at a common computer in the dining room for a fee of $2 per hour.

Checkout at the hotel was easy, and the staff called a taxi for me so that I could move on to my next stop in Guatemala.

If given the chance, I would not stay at Posada Belen Museo Inn again in the future. Although the staff was very friendly and helpful, the issues that I described above would cause me to seek other lodging in Guatemala City should I return there in the future.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Gozo, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We reviewed the Posada Belen in 2007. We have visited it five times more since then and we have no reason to change our opinion: it is still the oasis of calm, charm and security in the heart of Guatemala City. The owner, Francesca, will organise trips all over Guatemala for you, making sure you get the best prices and most convenient routes. It is a real pleasure to work with her. The staff at the Posada Belen are as helpful and charming as ever. We have been to Guatemala for eleven years; the Posada Belen is always our first port of call. We have no regrets.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Posada Belen Museo Inn? Share your experiences!