“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Guatemala City
Panama
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I think a lot of people are hesitant because it is in what many consider a dangerous location. No there are not a ton of tourists staying here, but it is in the centro and historic zone.

There is a lot to do and see around the hotel, just get back in before midnight and you will be ok.

If you want to drink where Che Guevera did while living here, it is only a block away. It is called El Portal and the hotel staff can direct you there.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon the Dia de la Mujer parade right next to the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Ajep65, Manager at Pan American Hotel, responded to this review, December 31, 2014
Dear K_Mennem,
Thanks for your comments; they encourage us to strive everyday in serving our guests and make them feel better that at home. Cordially,
Silvia Cruz / Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

While traveling with grand circle travel, we were taken to this hotel on 5/4/14 departing the next afternoon. Was told my our travel guide not to go out after dark..it wasn't safe.
My room 201, looked out onto a broken down building. Blankets were frayed and questionable of cleanliness.
Grand circle travel made a Hugh mistake in placing a group of people in this unsafe neighborhood and in this hotel that was not up to standards for the price of the tour.

Room Tip: That I can't do because I wouldn't recommend staying there
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Molly C,
Thanks for your comments; it is importat for us to know our weakness and work hard to turn them into strengths. Unfortunately we cannot do to much directly with insecurity in the streets, however the Government has been working hard to improve this aspect in the Historical Center and we believe that the situation is much better in the area. We would like to serve you better next time. Cordially,
fort worth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Flew in from San Jose Costa Rica in March and selected this hotel based on it's past history.
I had prepaid at the hotel web-site a cab to pick me up for $20.00 (US). Landed and no cab.
An hour went by before the cab finally came. Livid? Yes. But... The explanation that I got was that the hotel had communicated via e-mail about my flight number and when I would arrive. To communicate with the hotel I had to eventually go on to Facebook to get a response. about my request for a certain type of room.
I overlooked the delay in cab but talking to other cab drivers at the airport they said they would take me to the hotel for $11.00.
Eventually made it, voiced my opinion and moved on.
I was shown to my room which was a simple room with bed, (balcony as I requested) overlooking the street Independcia. A simple room with ceiling fan and an old school television.
For the price I didn't complain and the room suited my needs. Right in Zona 1.
I did have a taste for something to eat so I went below to get a bite to eat.
The women that worked the worked the tables were great but it took forever to get something to eat.
There were two other man who worked for the hotel that were overseeing the restaurant staff.
My question was and still is why didn't you pitch in to assist them?
After an 1 hour and 1/2 I got my check.
Definitely felt empathy for the wait staff.
Thoughts on the room:
A basic room no more no less.
Could the hotel improve? Most certainly. I wonder if the family that owns the hotel realizes the significance and history of the hotel.
I can't say enough about the staff that attended to this frustrated traveler.
Would I recommend the hotel?
No not really.
There was a hotel down the street from this hotel that appeared to be quite nicer but...
For a budget minded traveler this hotel though is near everything in Zona 1.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 2nd floor but to really watch people choose the street adjacent to Independence...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear FortWorthJeffie,
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate that shows us our weaknesses so we can work on them and turn them into strengths. Maybe you could give us another chance to serve you better. Cordially,
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The Hotel Pan American is a clean, bright hotel in the heart of the historic district of Guatemala City.

My room was a good value. Small, but comfortable, as was the bed. The bathroom was clean and stocked with good soap and shampoo. The bathroom had a vent window that opened to the lobby. No one could see you but, potentially, someone could hear you. The room I stayed in faced the back of the hotel and it was a bit noisy. If you are a light sleeper, you might have a problem.

The best thing about the hotel was the affordable and excellent restaurant in the lobby. The food was exceptionally good. There is wifi in all the public areas and it was fast. I was able to FaceTime chat with my kids back in the States.

The staff was very friendly. The people at the front desk speak English pretty well. For other staff, you need to be able to speak some Spanish (or have a translation app handy). But, they are patient while you try to figure out the right thing to say.

I would definitely stay at the Pan American if I was in Guatemala City again.

Room Tip: See if you can get a room facing the front of the hotel or the inside.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Silvia C, Gerente at Pan American Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear Mr. Steven
I would like to thank you for your opinion about us. Your comments are very important because they encourage us to improve our service.
Hoping to see you soon,
Manhattan, KS
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

The hotel needs serious renovation. The rooms are ancient, the beds and bedding are definitely decades old. We found the beds rather comfortable. There is no decor in the rooms. The elevator doesn't work. We were not given the TV remote and had to look for filtered water (it is located in the hallway, but nobody told us about it). Internet did not work. It was surprising, however, that a very tasty breakfast was served and the staff was very friendly and elegant. The staff at the reception was unprofessional when we were checking in and very nice at check-out. The price for this hotel is comparatively rather high, but the location is indeed very good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Witoldzio
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate that shows us our weaknesses so we can work on them and turn them into strengths. Maybe you could give us another chance to serve you better in the near future. Cordially,
Pirkkala, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We, a family of four, stayed here for one night. The hotel was very clean and the room was nice. The noise of the other guests spending time in the lobby downstairs was pretty loud but it didn't disturb us as we were really tired. Nice place, thank you for the stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Silvia C, Gerente at Pan American Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear Mr Jari

Hoping to see you soon,
Nowra, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

After a great stay in Antigua, we decided to spend one night in Guatemala City close to the airport because we had to be at the airport at 5am the next day. Reading the info on tripadvisor, we booked (through hotelclub) largely because of price and the advertised 24 hour airport shuttle.

On arriving late in the afternoon we were told we still had to pay, even though the hotelclub charge had already gone through my card. With my wife and kids there I had nowhere else to go and had to stump up (hopefully hotelclub will sort this out). Moreover when we went to book the shuttle they said there wasn't one.

I don't suppose the place was bad for what it was ... but what it was (twice the price and no shuttle) was not what it was sold as.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Trevor K,
Thank you very much for your comments, we appreciate that shows us our weaknesses so we can work on them and turn them into strengths. We are also working in the descriptions at some web pages that offer things just to catch travellers and cause serious problems. Maybe you could give us another chance to serve you better. Cordially,
Silvia Cruz / Manager

Been to Pan American Hotel? Share your experiences!