“Wonderful Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #29 of 47 hotels in Guatemala City
South Orange, NJ
“Wonderful Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We were in Hotel San Carlos 7/25 - 7/28/14 and there is nothing they could have possibly done to make the stay better. From initial online reservations, to check in, to various meals - mostly breakfasts but one dinner as well - to our odd requests (water, meeting spaces, etc.) we felt the staff was always there for us - helpful from advising directions or meals, and beyond. We'd definitely stay there at the next opportunity.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Greenfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We reserved a room and received a confirmation for a room in the hotel. When we arrived, they said that we reserved "too late" (a week prior) and therefore they would not honor our reservation and they put us in an awful apartment building two blocks away with no amenities. This was not an error on their part, this is their business practice. They would not cancel our reservation so we could go somewhere else. Not worth the hassle to choose this place!

Room Tip: Don't book at this hotel. If it fills up, they put you in an awful apartment building a few bloc...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Greenfield, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had a reservation but they had no room! Made us walk 2 blocks to an drab 2nd story apartment on probably not so safe streets with our luggage and 2 small kids. The place looked great and we did have a nice meal that was reasonably priced. We paid a premium to be in the hotel on our last day if vacation and my wife's birthday. Not a fun experience dealt like bait and switch.

Stayed July 2014
central Wisconsin, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel for three nights on a business trip in 2013, plus some other one night stays. Location was an important reason, but the hotel is very comfortable for me, and I enjoy their restaurant , small bar and lobby seating areas. However, here's a tip if you have been in Antigua for a while and need to catch an early flight out when leaving. I always enjoy coming to San Carlos for my last night in Guatemala. I don't have to get up so early in the morning ( as morning traffic coming into the city from Antigua can be horrible ), and their taxi service gets you to the airport in a few short minutes. I also enjoy that their breakfast starts at 6 a.m. It makes my long travel day home so much easier.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Nelson, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

I highly recommend this elegant hotel. When our airport pickup fell through, the day manager offered us free drinks and upgraded us to a lovely suite which we were able to occupy at 9:00 am, we'll before check in time. The staff in general were very friendly and accommodating and our stay very comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed two nights in the 2-bedroom apartment that faced the back of the building (read: it was more quiet). The apartment was clean and gorgeous, and a great value if you are two people (like two colleagues) who need a comfortable place to stay and a work space. Each room has its own bathroom (complete with zillions of towel and toilet-paper designs) and was comfortable, and there is a sofa, table, and breakfast bar in the kitchenette. It's still walking distance from some things, and two doors down from the US Embassy. Sadly I had no time to enjoy the pool or any other area of the hotel. The breakfast was decent, and shuttles to the airport are included in your stay. The pillows were not my favorite. There was no AC, but with open windows and a fan, it really wasn't lacking - even my colleague who likes to keep her room cold was still comfortable. The staff are not the best around, but they get the job done. If I come back to Guatemala on another work trip, I would definitely like to stay here again, especially if I can get apartment 301!

Room Tip: Apt 301 has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, lots of common area space, and is quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I came to Guatemala for business and was booked into this hotel by my local colleague. Initially my experience was fine. The rooms and the breakfast were nice. But one of the issues that I had initially was that some of the reception staff did not speak english.

I was supposed to stay at the hotel for a total of 5 days with a two day break in between for a trip outside of Guatemala City. For some reason the local colleague booked the entire 7 day period (without the two day break), which I was not told about. So, when I got to the hotel they initially charged me for 7 days. The next day I tried to tell the reception staff, but unfortunately that staff member did not speak english, so she called the manager and I spoke to him about that I was only supposed to be charged for 5 nights. He did not want to go to the hotel that day, so I had to wait until the next day to deal with this problem. The next day I go to the reception, the manager is there busy speaking to another employee and the same reception staff that does not speak english is behind the desk. Immediately and without speaking to me, the reception staff began to prepare the reimbursement. The reception staff went through the process of reimbursing the credit card. She then brought it to the manager and he sighed and mumbled something in a disappointing manner and she brought the receipt to me. I found out several days later that as it turned out this reimbursement never worked and the manager had just been too busy to tell me from the beginning. And as the manager was too busy for me, he never spoke to me during the entire process and I subsequently went back to my room after signing the (non)-reimbursement.

Then came the day that I was to leave the hotel for two days before coming back again for another two days. When I left, the same reception staff that did not speak english was there, so I promptly left my key and walked out of the hotel with all of my luggage. I came back to the hotel after two days to find out that I had no reservation. This time the reception staff spoke very good english, but he had to of course call the manager to find out what the problem was. I then spoke to the manager who was very unhappy with me and said that he had canceled the two days at the end of my reservation and that it was ridiculous that I would have wanted to cancel two days in between my stay at the hotel. That's also when he told that the reimbursement never initially worked. Apparently, it did not strike him as odd that I just disappeared without any luggage in the room for two days. He had no empathy and took absolutely no responsibility for any of the confusion. I was charged for these two days without any reimbursement, but I was given the money back in cash for the initial two days that I canceled. Then it got worse. The hotel was fully booked and the manager had no interest in trying to improve my situation as I clearly had no place to sleep that night and it was already 8:00 pm. If it was not for the very empathetic and kind reception staff that night, the manager would have simply sent me out on the street. This staff member took the time to call around to hotels to try to find a room for me. Unfortunately, due to a huge conference that week, all of the major hotels were fully booked. We literally went through dozens of hotels. In the end, the staff member had to call a friend that ultimately found a room at a small unassuming hotel. If it had not been for the kindness and effort of that staff member, I would have surely had even greater problems that night. As it turned out, this new hotel had nicer rooms (with kitchen) and was significantly cheaper.

I would imagine if you have a very straight forward booking and needs then the hotel would have been quite nice. But if you run into any problems that I had, then you may end up without a room and without your money.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel San Carlos? Share your experiences!