“Nice welcome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
New York
“Nice welcome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is is really nice hotel, really warm welcome from Roberto the manager...Wished my sister and I were staying there for more than one night.... We received a welcome cocktail when we arrived, and voucher for an alcoholic drink for later on in the day (turns it's only for a rhum and coke only)...
Airport transfer is included, so before my trip, I emailed the hotel to arrange my transport, and our chauffeur was punctual and waiting for us when we cleared customs...
Breakfast is also included, but my sister and I were leaving really early the next morning to catch a flight for tikal, so Roberto arranged for a box breakfast be waiting for us at the front desk upon check out! And yes, it was! So thoughtful.

Room was clean, nice bar area and pool area....

Would definetely go back there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Our extended family of eleven stayed in three rooms at this hotel during Spring break, March 2010. It was a treat. Rooms were clean and interesting looking with kitchenettes which we were able to prepare basic food in. The pool was fun for the kids (5 total), and the complimentary breakfast was good. Also, gated and guarded parking is provided for guests (one car per room I think). The location turned out to be exceptional given that it is located off of the main avenue that during the week leading up to Easter (the week we visited) the avenue is closed to traffic on Sunday and opened up for pedestrians (the route is heavily guarded by Guatemalan police). We had a great stroll, the kids even got to enjoy a pony ride in the park farther down the avenue. I would absolutely recommend this hotel. Nice, helpful staff. Also, the last couple of days of our week-long stay and travels in Guatemala I came down with a bad stomach bug. On the morning my immediate family was to depart for the airport I asked the kitchen staff if they could give me some seeds from a papaya (which I learned about years ago while traveling in Mexico) they were able to give me about a tablespoons worth which I swallowed and by the time we reached the airport I was able to function and get on the flight home. Also, if you are renting a car in Guatemala which I would only recommend if you know someone who lives there and only if you are traveling in a caravan of at least two cars - stop by a U.S. automotive supply shop before you go and buy a two-pack of "blind spot mirrors" (they are about 2 to 3 inches in diamiter) and attach them to the side-view mirror of your rentals - it will make driving in Guatemala *much* easier for you. Have a great trip!

Room Tip: Top floor and in the back so that you get the least amount of night time traffic noise from the aven...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I stayed in hotel San Carlos last month. I loved the experience of my stay. It has beautiful suites, garden & pool view. The service was great. I never had an experience like in hotel San Carlos because the service was extremely personalized. During my stay I had the opportunity meet many executives from important international businesses and embassies. It has a lot of security and it is less than 100 meters form the US embassy which I felt more comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for suites, apartment and room 5.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
ale_sotocr, Director of Sales at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Than you for you review. It´s great to know you had a nice experience on your visit. We hope to see you soon.
Amherst, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

Lovely hotel. Good WiFi.
Restaurant fair-good.
Room #5 has charming fountain and pool RIGHT outside your window.
This time of year the sun rises on the horizon, and shines right onto the king size bed.
Room rate included comp shuttle to airport.
Little pricey, but well worth it.
On main street but very buffered from sound.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
ale_sotocr, Director of Sales at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thank you very much for your review, hope you visit us again!
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

The horrible service makes this a hotel I would never stay at again. We had 2 rooms reserved for a group of 6 people. Several of us checked in at 2 pm, were given a 2-bedroom apt. and told that room XX was reserved for the rest of our group. When they showed up at 3 that room had somehow disappeared and they asked us to all stay in the same room because all the other rooms were taken. They promised us a certain rate including tax and breakfast. The next day they charged us $50 more than we had been promised and wouldn't budge no matter what we said. No concessions for the messed-up reservation and not honoring a quoted price make this a hotel I would never recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Overall we liked the hotel a lot. Breakfasts were tasty and were included in our rate. There was a choice of 6 different breakfasts. The staff was friendly to us and our children. The room we had was huge! It was like renting an apartment, and the rates were comparable to regular much smaller hotel rooms elsewhere in Guatemala City. We had a kitchen, living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 baths.

The only complaint we had was that the shuttle was not there to meet us at the airport when we arrived--as the hotel staff had promised and confirmed in emails. We had to call a couple times to have them come and pick us up. Also, some of the staff don't speak English well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Damascus, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

If you want to be downtown but don't care for "tourist" hotels this is the one. Very quaint older hotel, but in great shape, has a "colonial" feel. Rooms are all a little different, but very well furnished, very clean and comfortable. No pool (its really an oversized hot tub with cool water!), no workout room and no flashy bar, but if you want a very clean comfortable hotel downtown this is a great one. The staff was also great and always very helpful. I would definelty go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel San Carlos? Share your experiences!