“Great Hotel, Great Location” 5 of 5 stars

2 Avenida 12 28 Zona 10 | Zona Viva, Guatemala City 01010, Guatemala   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #24 of 47 Hotels in Guatemala City
Ohio
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2007

For the price, this is the best if not one of the best hotels in Zone 10. Conveniently located and safe, there are many restaurants in easy walking distance. Staff are friendly and helpful, rooms are spacious and it was an excellent experience for a business traveler who does not want luxury.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2007

This hotel is clean, convenient, and well-located in the middle of the Zona Viva (walking to restaurants and bars), a quick jump to the airport. I felt that I received a good value for my money.

A quick warning regarding reservations: Hotel Stofella makes and honors reservations like normal hotels if you call them. They, however, do not coordinate particularly well with the Best Western website nor (as others have noted) do they feel particularly responsible to honor them, because they do not reserve the reservation information until the morning of, by which time the hotel may be full. Why make your reservations online? Because the hotel rate will be ten dollars less. I found this aggravating, and as such feel lukewarm about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Anacortes, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2007

We stay at the Stofella every year, since we travel to work in a project in the eastern part of the country (7 years so far). We have always found it to be a lovely small hotel with very helpful staff. Our rooms have been very clean and modern and the surrounding area is safe for walking and finding a good restaurant. If you take one of the cabs parked in front of the hotel you can be sure it is also safe. The breakfasts are good in a very pleasant room where you can watch the passing scene. We highly recommend The Stofella.

• Liked — Safe location, small size
  • Disliked — Lack of view from rooms
  • Stayed January 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Grapevine, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2007

Finding a hotel that was close to the airport, in a safe neighborhood, and reasonably priced in Guatemala City proved to be a bit of a challenge. We stayed at this hotel for just one night and it fit the bill just fine. The furnishings are not modern, but they are comfortable, and the room we had was large. The bathroom was also well-outfitted and large. The location in Zone 10 (the Zona Viva) meant we had easy access to good restaurants and night life within walking distance.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smoking in some public rooms
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hilo, HI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

Made reservations on the Best Western Website. Guaranteed our reservations with a credit card. Reservation confirmation indicated "Deposit Policy: Guaranteed to your credit card for late arrival". When we arrived (about 8:00 pm), the hotel unapologetically informed us that they did not have a room for us. They moved us to a different hotel (offering to pay for the taxi only after our strenuous objection). In such instances, I would expect a transfer to an equal or better hotel. However, this was not the case at all.

The alternate hotel was, in my view, a one star operation in a somewhat more dangerous area, yet we were charged the Stofella rate. The Stofella and alternate hotel appeared way too efficient at the transfer for this to be an isolated instance. Moreover, the alternate hotel had a list of names of several individuals with apparantly the same problem. The time involved in the whole switch process required us to make major changes to our sightseeing plans.

Once we were relocated to the Stofella the following day, the room was nice enough. However, the safe was not mounted to the floor, the key lighting system was a real pain and the air conditioner produced only extreme temperatures. They advertise currency exchange, but didn't have any currency to complete the exchange. 50/50 split on the friendliness and competence of the staff.

Count me out for future stays at the Stofella or any Best Western Hotel.

Stayed August 2006
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2006

I stayed at Hotel Stofella on two separate occasions in April, 2006. My original intention was to visit a little Guatemalan girl who I am sponsoring. However, being such a long distance away from Canada I decided to combine my visit with a Caravans Tour around Guatemala. I needed, therefore, a central hotel, in a safe district at a reasonable price. which would store my luggage while I was on the tour. The Stofella Hotel met all these expectations and more.

The hotel does not have a limo service but an authorized taxi cost about US$10.00 including tip from the airport. There is a taxi stand at the entrance to the hotel for return trips to the airport which the hotel will arrange even for dawn departures.

I agree with the description of rooms by the earlier reviewer and have nothing to add except that, if you are a light sleeper, the loud external air conditioning units can be annoying. I asked for another room away from the street and this was immediately arranged by the very accomodating reception staff and the bell-boys. Even though the corridor carpets are a little stained the rooms are spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable.

What impressed me most were the staff. Even though they were sometimes very busy they tried to deal with every client's wishes or requests. I had been given a very fragile vase by the family of my sponsored child and asked the staff if they had a box. Not only did they provide the box but one of the bell boys wrapped it for me and stored it together with my luggage until I returned from my tour. The day staff speak very good English and are extremely helpful. On two occasions I needed to make arrangements with the Administration office of the Children's Sponsorship local office. Not only did the staff make the calls for me they also made the necessary arrangements since my Spanish was not up to the task. All this and no charge!!

They also arranged for a wake up call, a six a.m. breakfast and organized the airport transfer which was a great relief. The break-fasts are as described earlier; modest but adequate. I can recommend the restaurant just across the street for lunches and dinners. It is called Applebees - the food is very good and reasonably priced, but once again, it is the very friendly staff which made it special for me. I developed a very bad cold and could not speak but I wrote down what I wanted and they even provided me with hot water, lemon juice and honey to take back to the hotel.

So, if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel with comfortable rooms at a great and safe location (most important in Guatemala City) and friendly staff the Hotel Stofella should meet all your requirements.

• Stayed April 2006
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2006

My wife and I stayed here one night in January 2006 at the beginning of a Central American tour. The hotel is a modern, comfortable Best Western in the south (new) part of town, only about 5-10 minutes from the airport. Our room was good-sized, with beautiful wood paneling in the sleeping area and attractive tile work in the bathroom. There was plenty of room for luggage in the sleeping area, and adequate counter space in the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable.
The front desk staff were friendly and spoke passable English. There is no restaurant in the hotel, but there are several excellent restaurants nearby (we particularly recommend the Kacao, about a block away). Despite not having a restaurant, the room comes with a breakfast buffet in a one of the conference rooms off the lobby. The buffet was quite good – several kinds of fruit, cereal, yoghurt, some hot dishes (e.g., eggs), and coffee.
Overall we thought the Stofella was very good value and recommend it. We would not hesitate to stay there again, particularly if we need a place that is convenient to the airport.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Stofella? Share your experiences!