“Old and dirty rooms, worst staff I have EVER seen.” 1 of 5 stars

Conquistador Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   via 5 4-68 zona 4, Guatemala City 01004, Guatemala   |
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Guatemala City
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
“Old and dirty rooms, worst staff I have EVER seen.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Came to this 40 something hotel because it is located close to the start and finish line of Guatemala city's half marathon. I travel with my wife and daughters to several running competitions every year.
We waited more than one hour for a room to be shown to us, and when we were finally taken to the room we decided to leave. The facility is old and not well taken care of, carpets looked dirty and the walls were stained. The hotel is located close to several ugly strip clubs and the surroundings look unsecure. The staff is very slow and rude, they tried to emphasize their hotel is a 4 star property; they have a lot of work to do, specially with the people they put in the front desk.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
guatemala
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

I have to attend meetings on a monthly basis on the building next door, so I come early and enjoy a great breakfast at their lobby restaurant. It is truly an oasis of peace in the caos that still is zone 4. Service is always friendly and the buffet is always nice. Easy parking and amazing prices. Definitely highly recommended to anyone in the area.

Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Nice place, parking, good atention and very good promotions, especially on drinks.
I tried the Club Sandwich, delicius!!
It's also has 3 ways to have a good time, the bar wich has live music from 21:00 hrs. The Sport Bar is also a place to be with friends.
And the restaurant that also is fine.

Stayed April 2014
Brownsburg, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel 3 times last year. Each time I was greeted at the airport and taken to the hotel. The staff has been so friendly and always welcomes me "home." Every trip I make to Guatemala, I shall spend at least my first night and my last night here. Very helpful anytime I needed information or help with anything. The breakfast we are served each morning is a personal experience. On one occasion my husband and myself had problems with the timing we were each going to arrive. We were unable to connect with each other but thanks to the hotel personnel all was taken care of and I was met at the airport by the staff with a welcoming smile and a message that my husband was delayed. I have always felt comfortable and safe every time I was there. I would recommend this hotel highly to anyone traveling to this city for the first time or the 100th time. Also if you get a chance to visit the lounge when Roberto Rey is entertaining, please tell him "hello" from his fans in Indiana and that he sings New York for each time we visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bayville, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I arrived on Friday, Oct 25 for the Justin Bieber concert the next day. I was treating a family from El Salvador to the concert so I had 2 reservations...one double room for me and my sister and one junior suite for the family of four. The rooms were very nice, the staff was extremely helpful during my stay. Right before the concert I learned that I needed to return home the very next day. I informed the hotel that I will be checking out the next day, Sunday morning at 5 am instead of Monday.. They arranged to put us on the free 5 am airport shuttle, a boxed breakfast and a 4:15 wake-up call. There was no cancellation fee. Both of my hotel rooms were charged to my credit card. When I checked out the clerk said that the other room would remain open until my friends checked out Monday morning. No problem. So I thought. I received a frantic call from my friend at 3:15 in the morning (2 hr difference) on Monday. The hotel was detaining him until he paid for his room. OMG. Because of the concert all buses were full on Sunday so they had to take a 1:30 am bus back to El Salvador on Monday. He needed to get to work and his kids needed to get to school. He put his wife and kids in a cab to catch the bus at 1:15 and was being told that he could not leave the hotel until he paid for his room. I NEVER VENTURED OUTSIDE THE HOTEL BECAUSE I DID NOT WANT TO GET MUGGED OR KIDNAPPED AND NOW MY FRIEND IS PUTTING HIS FAMILY IN A CAB AT 1:15 IN THE MORNING TO GO TO THE BUS DEPOT WITHOUT HIM. OMG. My friend was beyond frantic. I called the hotel immediately and the clerk kept saying that he has two credit card numbers on my room number and two different names. My name and a Brenda Quinones. I told him that I am not Brenda Quinones. I explained my room # and the adjoining room # of my friends but all he kept saying was Brenda Quinones in the floor above. Then he realized his error. He said to me that he was just doing his job ! He put my friends through hell, he separated a family, he treated them like thieves. The kids thought their father was going to jail. The wife did not know what was happening. They did not know where their father was. All the good times we had that weekend was all ruined because of the inconsiderate, careless, clerk who was just doing his job ! No one should be treated like that. I am sure this hotel has been in business a long time and it is absolutely unacceptable the way they detained and treated my friend and his family. What a nightmare. There is nothing positive I can say about this hotel now.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Port Orchard, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice while on a mission trip with a christian foundation. The rooms were comfortable and I never had any problems with the staff. They delivered the luggage to my room within minutes of me going to my room. The front desk personnel were very helpful. They changed my dollars for me and gave me a good rate. There were three computers to use for checking email. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with plenty of variety and more than enough food to get you going for the day. I really enjoyed the colonial atmosphere. Both times that I stayed there it was one day after Christmas and the hotel was beautifully decorated for the holidays.

The only negative thing was the several shoeshine boys that hang out in front of the hotel in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Trip organizers scheduled this hotel for us. We felt safe here, and the neighborhood, while not close to sights, was not unpleasant to walk around. There aren't many restaurants nearby. We had the breakfast buffet, and it was more than adequate. The hotel food--other than the buffet breakfast--was a little overpriced, but it wasn't bad.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet after about 10 at night. I would ask for a room that's not located directly o...